Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tide: Ad with mother talking in Spanish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tide: Ad with mother talking in Spanish
    Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:05pm
Why the heck did this ad have to air?

This commercial features a girl and her mom who talks in Spanish. Why can't she learn English? Nothing pisses me off more than having to read subtitles just to understand WTF they're saying in a US TV ad. This is a COMMERCIAL for crying out loud not a damn foreign film!

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:09pm
I kind of liked it....well, I liked the mother. The daughter was a downright bitch taking advantage of her mothers lack of understanding of English.

As for "having to read subtitles"

I found the Daughter's commentary made it quite clear what was going on without them.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:15pm
Damn it why doesn't the video post?
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Damn it why doesn't the video post?

Try again. They have a nasty habit of not posting until the second time you do it.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:32pm
This commercial doesn't annoy as it did the first time. The first time I thought I was on a Spanish speaking channel or Spanish speaking ad and couldn't spot the subtitles. After knowing what's going on it doesn't bother me as much.
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:38pm
The subtitles are apparently the commercial's gimmick ... instead of actually translating what her grandma said, the girl is just adding onto what's already been translated via the subtitles.  So unless you are fluent in Spanish they do have to be read, which I agree with Ad that those should be left to the movies, not commercials.

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:08pm
This is what passes (to the ad-tards who mostly live in Mexifornia) as "multiculturalism". If an area has a taco stand (or 3) on every corner, and they speak nothing but Spanish - this is considered "diverse", no matter how much of a lack of other cultures there are there.

It's safer and easier just to stick to 2 languages/cultures, rather than have to learn stuff like German, Italian, Russian, etc. to make commercials out of those as well. 
ChrisInMI View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisInMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:25pm
I have no problem with the use of Spanish in this commercial, partially because I think Spanish is a beautiful language.  And I don't have a problem reading subtitles.  That said, this commercial is still lame and would be so whether they were speaking English, Spanish, Japanese or Swahili.
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:39pm
Chris, am I safe in assuming the "inMI" means you live in Michigan? If so, I can see how you might still consider Spanish beautiful, since you've probably heard proper Castilian. Live in Dallas, Phoenix, or LA for a while and see if you can still be Zen about a commercial like this. Wink 
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:44pm
Yeah, if I wasn't as a Californian constantly hearing the nasally high-pitched variant EVERY DAY, I could potentially see it as a beautiful language. And there is probably more functional diversity in Michigan than there is in California. I am not kidding when I say Multiculturalism = English and Spanish-based cultures over here, sure there are a lot of Hmongs and other cultures but they are not big parts of the main culture.
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

Yeah, if I wasn't as a Californian constantly hearing the nasally high-pitched variant EVERY DAY, I could potentially see it as a beautiful language. And there is probably more functional diversity in Michigan than there is in California. I am not kidding when I say Multiculturalism = English and Spanish-based cultures over here, sure there are a lot of Hmongs and other cultures but they are not big parts of the main culture.

Same here in Texas. We have substantial Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani, Caribbean, etc., communities but no one falls all over themselves to accommodate those languages or traditions. 
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 1:25am

This is what passes (to the ad-tards who mostly live in Mexifornia) as "multiculturalism". If an area has a taco stand (or 3) on every corner, and they speak nothing but Spanish - this is considered "diverse", no matter how much of a lack of other cultures there are there.

It's safer and easier just to stick to 2 languages/cultures, rather than have to learn stuff like German, Italian, Russian, etc. to make commercials out of those as well. 
I wish I could converse in Spanish. I know many Spanish words but cannot put them together gramatically. I do not try to speak Spanish because of this. I also cannot follow Spanish at full speed. I can read Spanish fairley well as I can do it at my own speed. I have experienced many Spanish speaking people who speak better English than I do. I do agree that all imigrants need to learn English. Snes, These people may understand English but not be comfortable speaking it for the same reason I am uncomfortable speaking Spanish. Also consider that California belonged to Mexico until we conquered it in 1847/48. Gee, then we suddenly "found" the huge gold fields in 1849! It could have been the huge oil fields but oil was not a factor at that time. We have never been a very nice nation.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 1:40am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

I wish I could converse in Spanish. I know many Spanish words but cannot put them together gramatically. I do not try to speak Spanish because of this. I also cannot follow Spanish at full speed. I can read Spanish fairley well as I can do it at my own speed. I have experienced many Spanish speaking people who speak better English than I do. I do agree that all imigrants need to learn English. Snes, These people may understand English but not be comfortable speaking it for the same reason I am uncomfortable speaking Spanish.

However, you're not the one that's supposed to learn the other language.  For you, learning Spanish should be something you do for fun or for your own personal enrichment.

Nowadays, though, there's less and less reason for Hispanics to learn English, especially if they stay to themselves in largely Hispanic neighborhoods where they have less reason to assimilate.  And with today's ability to communicate solely with the people one wants to, even if one lives in a mixed neighborhood, they have less need to assimilate into it. 

Also, in California, 51% of the student population is Hispanic.  If that trend continues, maybe it actually will be up to you to learn their language, rather than they ours.

Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:20am
Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

Same here in Texas. We have substantial Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani, Caribbean, etc., communities but no one falls all over themselves to accommodate those languages or traditions. 

You can add the Washington D.C. area to that as well. I was told recently that Northern Virginia has the largest number of Koreans of any area outside of Korea, but the only signs I see in Korean are for churches..and usually the first language listed on the sign is English.
Braaaandy Aaaaalexaaaaaander!
dizrythmia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:27am
i don't see what's the big deal about this ad, but i did grow up in an area with a large spanish-speaking population and now live in an area that's becoming one too. i'm also a foreign language major (but not spanish), but i won't go into my thoughts on the subject because it's clear i'm in the minority.

but suffice it to say, the commercial doesn't bother me. the first time i heard it, i did a double take because i wasn't expecting it, much like the rare commercial that contains no audio.
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 5:20am
Originally posted by dizrythmia dizrythmia wrote:

i don't see what's the big deal about this ad, but i did grow up in an area with a large spanish-speaking population and now live in an area that's becoming one too. i'm also a foreign language major (but not spanish), but i won't go into my thoughts on the subject because it's clear i'm in the minority.

but suffice it to say, the commercial doesn't bother me. the first time i heard it, i did a double take because i wasn't expecting it, much like the rare commercial that contains no audio.

I'm all for Americans learning other languages. I've studied several and even minored in one, and I'd never visit a foreign country without learning at least a few basic phrases. But it should be a choice which languages each of us gets to explore. Mainstream society needs to pick a lingua franca and stick to it -- preferably the one our founding documents, street signs, and national anthem are written in.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:01am

...but i won't go into my thoughts on the subject because it's clear i'm in the minority.

That should never stop you.

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:33am

I'm all for Americans learning other languages. I've studied several and even minored in one, and I'd never visit a foreign country without learning at least a few basic phrases. But it should be a choice which languages each of us gets to explore. Mainstream society needs to pick a lingua franca and stick to it -- preferably the one our founding documents, street signs, and national anthem are written in.

Language learning can be a very fun and useful hobby to have. I know some intermediate-level German, and I have actually taught myself some Spanish, although Spanish will probably never mean anything more to me than a language which is mechanically recommended mostly only because so many people are illegally crossing the border and having 3-4 kids a piece and refuse to learn English.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:50pm

A friend of mine teaches history at a high school in SF.  Even though the school is largely Chinese, and Hispanics are only about 10%, the school spends a lot of time celebrating Latino Heritage Month.  The principal even encourages the teachers to wear brown clothes or ribbons in support of La Raza, and to attend immigration rights protests with their students.

He tried to get the school to have a Jewish History Day (he's Jewish), but they had no interest.  They're very selective about which ethnic groups they deem worthy.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

A friend of mine teaches history at a high school in SF.  Even though the school is largely Chinese, and Hispanics are only about 10%, the school spends a lot of time celebrating Latino Heritage Month.  The principal even encourages the teachers to wear brown clothes or ribbons in support of La Raza, and to attend immigration rights protests with their students.

He tried to get the school to have a Jewish History Day (he's Jewish), but they had no interest.  They're very selective about which ethnic groups they deem worthy.

There's no mistaking the agenda here. The media, academia, etc. have chosen their preferred "minority" (who aren't so minor any more), and we all have to fall in line. I guess they can't count on Asians, Jewish people, etc. to vote for one party en masse the way "Latinos" do. 

(I've always thought "Latino" is a nonsense term anyway. Shouldn't it apply to anyone who speaks a Latinate language -- Italian, French, Portuguese, Romanian, etc.?)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 8:29pm

^  That's totally it.  But when you point that out, you're a racist.  Blacks don't garner as much concern among that side anymore, as they're pretty much in the bag.  With blacks, they just have to maintain the status quo.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 8:37pm

...(I've always thought "Latino" is a nonsense term anyway. Shouldn't it apply to anyone who speaks a Latinate language -- Italian, French, Portuguese, Romanian, etc.?)
Now,*I* think "Latino" should refer to all of those that speak 'Latin', as a primary language - and, well, they're all dead.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

[QUOTE=Thor]

...(I've always thought "Latino" is a nonsense term anyway. Shouldn't it apply to anyone who speaks a Latinate language -- Italian, French, Portuguese, Romanian, etc.?)
Now,*I* think "Latino" should refer to all of those that speak 'Latin', as a primary language - and, well, they're all dead.

Whenever someone tells me they're Latino or proud of their Latino heritage, I'm tempted to ask them if the rode to work in a chariot that day. lol.
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 8:59pm

[QUOTE=Thor]

Yeah, now it's just the Pope and dorks like me, and never recreationally!

LOL, Snes! If I wouldn't lose my job for it, I'd high-five those self-identified students while shouting SENATUS POPULUSQUE ROMANUS!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 9:36pm

[QUOTE=Thor]

Yeah, now it's just the Pope and dorks like me, and never recreationally!

LOL, Snes! If I wouldn't lose my job for it, I'd high-five those self-identified students while shouting SENATUS POPULUSQUE ROMANUS!!!
ConfusedYou sound like my Mother - she speaks Latin for fun. Always bugs me and makes me wish I could wash her mouth out with a bar of soap, like she used to do with me when *I* spoke 'foreign words'.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic