Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mountain Dew/Youtube commercial in the news

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mountain Dew/Youtube commercial in the news
    Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:16pm

This one has been in the news.  Apparently, it's a series of internet commercials put out by the makers of Mountain Dew (Pepsi), that was pulled by Pepsi a few days ago.

Here's  a bit of the story:
Earlier this week Mountain Dew faced a hailstorm of criticism stemming from their new commercial, developed by rapper Tyler, The Creator, which many deemed as offensive and racist.

Here's the rest:

The thing is, I just don't get it.  It makes no sense to me.  A goat beating up a waitress and stealing Mountain Dew??  Maybe I need to "study" it more, but I'm just not so inclined.  I'm starting to think it's all just some publicity stunt.

Sponsored Links

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:12pm
Your link is dead already. PepsiCo seems really determined to erase all existence of this off the net.

I don't get it either. Yeah, it was a bunch of black people being put in an identification line, but it was part of the black group's idea too, right?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:31pm

Okay, let's try this one.

Puppydogpants View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puppydogpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 12:22am
So it's racist because all the guys are black? 

If they were all white guys, no one would think anything of it. What if they had all been Asian guys? But I still don't get what this has to do with Mountain Dew.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 12:28am

None of it makes sense---not the banning of it nor the accusation of it being racist nor the ad itself---which is why I'm starting to think this is all a "Paul is dead" moment.

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 12:56am
Well, that's a definite 2013 Dick Punch Award finalist.

ADamant View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADamant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:09am
Controversy/racism or not, this series of ads is just horrible/boring/unentertaining/just plain stupid. That's why *I'd* pull 'em -- for their sheer horribleness and stupidity. Then again, the same would apply to many commercials.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

None of it makes sense---not the banning of it nor the accusation of it being racist nor the ad itself---which is why I'm starting to think this is all a "Paul is dead" moment.

THe News people were REALLY reaching with this one.

Heard one woman say the victim was "OBVIOUSLY acting like a rape victim"

Someone say "even the goat was black. Pure and undisputed racism."

I mean...seriously?

And didn't doritos do a goat thing last year?
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
maskddingo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskddingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:13pm
I understand how people are screaming racism with this. They do it with much less. That doesn't mean I agree that the end product was specifically meant to be racist.

The problem with this ad is that it condones violence against others... making it 'funny' to beat someone for Mt. Dew.. and making it seem 'cool' to try to threaten the victim and cover it up.

However, That the victim in this case is a woman is as irrelevant as the fact that all the people in the lineup were black.
To me, it would still be wrong if the victim were a black man and the line up was all blond white chicks. If you realize that, then you can't possibly think it is 'racist'... or 'sexists'
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:21pm

The guy (known as Tyler the Creator) who created this commercial is black.  So, I'm not sure if people can be racist against their own race.

WalpurgisQuill View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalpurgisQuill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The guy (known as Tyler the Creator) who created this commercial is black.  So, I'm not sure if people can be racist against their own race.

They can, but they usually have to have been taught all of their life that they're the only one of their kind that is "not like the others." That way the irony is completely lost on them.

Anyway, Tyler the Creator just has one of the strangest senses of humor I've ever seen, as witnessed in Loiter Squad. His music is becoming more mainstream, is the problem, and he doesn't rap like he used to. Tyler<Hopsin.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 6:08pm
"...DEW you up"
"...DEW U I"
...blah.
You're never gonna catch this customer, Mountain Dew.
~~~
The 'Simple Side': 
Stereotyped victim of the worst-case, short a child rape, that had a Mountain Dew (if one saw the first commercial, then they may find the line-up less offensive).
Stereotyped thug of the worst-kind, somewhere in the sterotyped 'thug line-up' (line-ups have a tendancy to be comprised of 'like-in-appearance and/or sound' people', so the fact that everyone has a dark tinge and are all on a gangsta-binge doesn't make this racial, at all).
Just seems simple people simply took things too simple; Mountain Dew overestimated the intelligence level of their target market, not to speak of their own ability create humorous situations with a likeable mascot.
The 'short of it': This is bad humor meant for people not intelligent enough to properly not appreciate it.
Pretty dumb to waste 2.5 minutes watching those commercials, and another 5 writing this post. I want this lost time of my life back.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by WalpurgisQuill WalpurgisQuill wrote:

His music is becoming more mainstream, is the problem, and he doesn't rap like he used to. Tyler<Hopsin.

Meh, I wouldn't know. Rap all sounds the same to me - I think the genre's getting pretty stale.
WalpurgisQuill View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalpurgisQuill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

Originally posted by WalpurgisQuill WalpurgisQuill wrote:

His music is becoming more mainstream, is the problem, and he doesn't rap like he used to. Tyler<Hopsin.

Meh, I wouldn't know. Rap all sounds the same to me - I think the genre's getting pretty stale.

All mainstream rap sounds the same, this is true. But there is so much incredible, sick underground stuff, I doubt the genre is getting stale. 
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 9:38pm
Is Pepsi just trying to draw attention to themselves? You know, like their Jeff Gordon "test ride" commercial awhile back.

A talking goat in a police lineup.Wacko 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Is Pepsi just trying to draw attention to themselves? You know, like their Jeff Gordon "test ride" commercial awhile back.

Watch Thor's whole 2.5 minute video, Tizzer - it only gets worse as it comes clearer, to you...LOL

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Isn't that the whole idea of a commercial?

thebombsauce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebombsauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 10:57am
I found a mirror of it worldstarhiphop, but I don't know the rules of posting links so just google it. As for the video, its the kind of humor you'd expect from tyler the creator at this point, basically a child trying his best to be "so random".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic