Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lysol "Healthing"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 9:21pm
First of all "health" isn't a verb. Second it just sounds f*cking retarded to say "healthing".

Companies like Lysol pray on these germaphobe idiots that think everything has to be "germ-free". Ever think that a few germs and microbes might be good for your immune system? If it doesn't get germs to practice on, you're gonna be screwed when a really bad virus comes along.

I've been sick once in the last five years, and it was for 2 days. I have a great immune system.
Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by jhiller21 jhiller21 wrote:

Companies like Lysol pray on these germaphobe idiots that think everything has to be "germ-free". Ever think that a few germs and microbes might be good for your immune system? If it doesn't get germs to practice on, you're gonna be screwed when a really bad virus comes along.

(Language warning, though since it's George Carlin that should be a given)

LOL
Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 1:10am
God, I miss George Carlin...saw him live the year before he died--priceless. I'm new to the site, I found it while trying to find out if the Godawful caterwauling in the St. Jude's ad was a real song. I can't tell you how happy I am to find out that I am not the only person who mutes the television when a Kit-Kat ad comes on, or wants to punch the new Wendy's twit in the ovaries.
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 2:39pm
Hehehehe. Welcome WhiteDog Smile
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Creative Punishment View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creative Punishment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Yup--exactly. We're doing the opposite of being healthy by using anti-bacterial soaps for everything. They're more harmful than good---by killing off all the little germs, we're making way for a huge SUPER BUG that won't be easily killed because it'll be immune to everything due to anti-bacterial stuff and the fact that Mommy has to give little Timmy an antibiotic from the doctor every time he gets the sniffles.

I never use antibacterial anything---hell, sometimes I don't even use regular soap to wash my hands at all, and so far, so good. I eat off the floor---well, not off the floor, but if it falls on the floor, there's the 5-minute rule at my house...LOL!---I never worry about food being cooked to the "proper temperature" (I actually prefer stuff rare---the closer to raw the better), and probably do a million other "non-sanitary" things that would make all the clean-freak mommies in the universe sh*t cats and heavy machinery. What the hell did OUR moms do before those stupid little bottles of hand sanitizers? How did we ever survive? LOL  Good GOD. I never had a lot of colds as a kid, and I rarely get them now. 

You NEED a certain amount of dirt/germs to build up a healthy immune system---that's a fact. And with everyone's germaphobia about dirt & everyday bacteria, no wonder everyone's kid has some life-threatening allergy to peanuts or whatever because basically, they're kept in a bubble and never get the chance to build up antibodies to anything. I don't remember anyone who had peanut allergies or anything else when I was growing up, but ever since this huge anti-germ campaign, they're rampant.  George Carlin is spot on. Eat a little dirt once in a while---it won't kill you.
ADamant View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADamant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 5:09pm
By the end of the commercial, I was expecting to see all the sheeple in the "healthing" parade walking in a cloud of Lysol vapor being emitted by large trucks preceding them. Gotta keep that outdoor air fresh and clean.
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:29am
According to the latest Lysol commercial, if you use Febreze, you're not healthing, you're perfuming.   Someone please make it stop!!!!Angry
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by verminstew verminstew wrote:

According to the latest Lysol commercial, if you use Febreze, you're not healthing, you're perfuming.   Someone please make it stop!!!!Angry

ConfusedWell, at least they got the 'perfuming' part right.
All the same, if you've been sitting & sweating, lying & drooling, farting & leaking all over that furniture, 'perfuming' is semi-acceptable (accompanied by 'open windows' and fans). 'Healthing', in that case, is usually achieved with gasoline & matches ('gasolina', for our undocumented brethren).  
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 1:41am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

The smell of spray Lysol in a can makes me sick. 
Lysol also makes me gag. Even worse is beauty shop permanent solution. It can actually make me vomit.

Oh, perm solution.

My mom really wanted me to have curly hair as a kid, but for whatever reason she was not able to make it work with curlers, a curling iron, or braids (or anything else she tried). The only reason I think they didn't work is that whenever she would put my hair up, she wouldn't wait for it to work - she would quickly undo everything to see if it worked. Whenever I've done these things, I've left my hair up for the day and my hair has curled fine.

Her last resort was the professional perm. When I was about 8 we went to the hairstylist, and I sat through getting my hair permed. Breathing in the solution made me feel really dizzy, but I didn't complain. When my hair was done, I wasn't supposed to touch it or get it wet or anything (and since this was summer, that last one seemed pretty excruciating). However, the worst part was when I woke up the next day. I was itching all over and having trouble breathing. I ran to my mom and she actually gasped when she looked at me. We both knew what it was (hives from a nasty allergic reaction). We went to the hospital and she grilled me on where I got the sunscreen (which is what we knew I was allergic to) and why I had left it on. I hadn't used any sunscreen the day before as I had been at the damn hair salon, with her. The doctors figured out that it was not any sunscreen, but the stupid perm solution that I was allergic to. They basically scrubbed me all over to get it off, and in the process scrubbed out my stupid curlsLOL.

She actually considered doing it again about 6 months later, so I could have curls for some wedding or something or other, then we could wash out the perm solution againShockedLOL. My dad talked her out of it.

The funniest thing is that when I moved to Oregon when I was about 19 my hair completely changed and became naturally curly.Big smile This has absolutely confounded my mom.LOL
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 3:59am

God, I remember that smell from the times I had to pick my mother up from the beauty parlor.  I think, the first time, it singed the hair in my nostrils.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

...The funniest thing is that when I moved to Oregon when I was about 19 my hair completely changed and became naturally curly.Big smile This has absolutely confounded my mom.LOL
ConfusedHas it recovered yet, Y?! Sounds like when you moved to Oregon, your hair caught a nasty bout of the dreaded Oregon Origami disease.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 1:19am
Yutolia, did your Mom ever want you to get into beauty pageants as a child? LOL  Me and sisters all have way too much hair (naturally wavy) and she always had to put it in a ponytail until we would reach 12yo or so.  Our heads are now so tough it would be hard to penetrate them at all.
As to the Lysol deal, my Mom was really passive-agressive about sh*t like that so we couldn't tell anybody that she did stuff to hurt/discomfort/irk, etc. She tapered her fingernails to a pretty good point (I know, so weird) and when she wanted to get your attention or get on your nerves, she would pound one of those little suckers into the top of your shoulder.  It hurt and it was really hard not to smack her.  Of course, we didn't but still...
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 12:56am
Is there a thread dedicated just to truly irritating words created by/for advertising? Seems like 3/4 of all commercials I hate are because of a word created just for the sake of catchiness! Angry
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 12:59am
I think we had seven at one point or another...
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Creative Punishment Creative Punishment wrote:

I never use antibacterial anything---hell, sometimes I don't even use regular soap to wash my hands at all, and so far, so good. I eat off the floor---well, not off the floor, but if it falls on the floor, there's the 5-minute rule at my house...

I'm the same way, if a piece of pizza falls on the floor, face down, I pick it up and eat it. I might blow on it to release any errant dust, but that sh*t's going in my face.

I never get colds or flus, never get flu shots, never get bowel problems. Like the Carlin bit, when I was a teenager I used to waterski in the Ohio river. It's a putrid cesspool of scum and human waste. I used to come out of there smelling like death, and with a lot of the filthy water in my nose, eyes and mouth.

It took a 30 minute shower to wash off the scum and dirt, but my immune system is like a tank. Whatever comes along, it's gone. Bird flu wouldn't even phase me.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 3:41pm
Homey don't have no stinkin' Lysol Wipes, but I'm about to 'head to the shed' and do the 'healthing' thing, having had a nice breakfast with plenty of coffee.
Heck, it'll prolly be the squirty 'Healthing' thing, considering the amount of coffee I've gone through today.
I might use 'Charmin' or the first small furry thing that runs by, after 'Healting'. 
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by jhiller21 jhiller21 wrote:

First of all "health" isn't a verb. Second it just sounds f*cking retarded to say "healthing".

I've been sick once in the last five years, and it was for 2 days. I have a great immune system.
Aren't you glad your parents avoided healthing in favor of immuning? LOL Sorry.

Doctors are starting re-thinking a lot of this stuff  in the same vein you mentioned above. Personal experience: I was allergic to dogs as a kid but my parents didn't want to get rid of our dog. I lost my allergy to dogs. The canine reset my immune system. Same principle as allergy shots, but much more pleasant to be around.
English, like the other languages spoken where academics and other advancements are widespread, is dynamic. New words pop up and old ones "die," or at least become archaic. However, coining unnecessary new words just for the sake of coining them gets old fast. And the ad folks don't seem to get that cutesy annoying stuff often drives customers to other brands.

I had a psychology professor who avoided buying Wisk detergent/stain remover because she couldn't stand the "Ring around the collar" ads. She has a Ph.D., mind you, so she knows what's going on in her head and that her dislike for Wisk had nothing to do with the product itself. She still couldn't overcome it. (It made a good anecdote to explain conditioning, though.) In short, refusing to buy a product because you hate its advertising is beyond normal: it's ordinary.

And whoever made up "healthing" makes more money than many of us reading this...if not most. Angry
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Dr. Dan Dr. Dan wrote:

I had a psychology professor who avoided buying Wisk detergent/stain remover because she couldn't stand the "Ring around the collar" ads. She has a Ph.D., mind you, so she knows what's going on in her head and that her dislike for Wisk had nothing to do with the product itself. She still couldn't overcome it. (It made a good anecdote to explain conditioning, though.) In short, refusing to buy a product because you hate its advertising is beyond normal: it's ordinary.

I can't imagine avoiding a product because of the advertising.  First of all, I try to buy generic or off-brands whenever possible.  Second, I often don't remember what exact product has the offensive ad.  I might remember "Swapportunity", but I won't remember what product uses that word.  Third of all, if I avoided products with bad advertising, I'd probably be driving around without car insurance right now.

KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by verminstew verminstew wrote:

ConfusedWell, at least they got the 'perfuming' part right.
All the same, if you've been sitting & sweating, lying & drooling, farting & leaking all over that furniture, 'perfuming' is semi-acceptable (accompanied by 'open windows' and fans). 'Healthing', in that case, is usually achieved with gasoline & matches ('gasolina', for our undocumented brethren).  

This reminded me of what I learned in neurobiology class at school. Air fresheners like Febreeze, Oust, etc. all have nerve-deadening agents in them. Yep. Nerve-deadening agents. What happens is the chemical in the product deadens the nerves/olifactory sensors in your nose that cause you to be able to smell the offending odor - and their CRAZY STRONG perfumed spray is so strong that it's the only thing you can smell anymore. Pretty messed up if you ask me. Dead
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 9:05pm

^LOL   Ha!  I think it's brilliant.  But I don't think it's necessarily true.  I Googled "how does febreze work" and found something about the chemicals in the product encapsulating the offending odor molecules and preventing them from smelling the place up.  I'm no scientist, and I don't necessarily understand the explanation fully, but I found nothing about any ingredient working on human senses to make us imagine there's no offensive odor.

However, another website says that room deodorizers work in four ways (one per product), and that deadening the senses (as your professor stated) is one of 'em.  Another one sounds like the method used with Febreze.

So, I guess it depends on the product.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 10:35pm
This damn word better not make it to the Marrion Webster Dictionary. If it does I'll lose my mind!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
abiebaby47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abiebaby47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 7:19pm
Thanks for posting this video!  I miss George Carlin too.  also nice to see I'm not the only one who mutes the Kit Kat commercials - will have to look for that thread as well!
Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 1:03am
Welcome aboard, Abiebaby!
Braaaandy Aaaaalexaaaaaander!
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

Wow.  "We call it 'healthing.'"

I call it "reaching." 

Are you reaching?
Use a Reach toothbrush and don't just brush, reach! LOLWinkLOL

ItsAllTME View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAllTME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 4:09am
Hate hate hate this "healthing" BS. Why are these ads still airing? It's awful & just sounds stupid. I refuse to purchase any more Lysol products because of it. Every time I see these ads I want to sock their ad agency CSR in the throat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic