Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CC translates new Priceline ad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phxradiolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CC translates new Priceline ad
    Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 1:49am
In the new Priceline ad, where William Shatner is picking up Kaley Cuoco and she says something in a foreign language, he responds with "your accent needs work" something to that effect. I had my Closed Captioning on & guess what, it "translated" what she says!

"he said you owed him five bucks"

what other secrets does closed captioning have? I've seen some funny stuff. But isn't that funny? The translation is on CC, but not on the commercial itself.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 1:54am
That's funny.

I've always wondered why the censors who bleep offensive language are never concerned with deaf people who can read lips.  Aren't their sensibilities important, too?

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 2:03am
^To that effect, I've seen varieties where Captioning bleeps out a word that isn't bleeped in the dialogue, or the captioning isn't bleeps when the dialogue is.

Growing up with a hearing-impaired mother, Closed Captioning is just second nature to me. First thing I setup whenever we get a new television (newest being a 39.8 inch LED Proscan.) Also why I have no issue watching foreign television and movies with subtitles.
phxradiolady View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phxradiolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 2:05am
Yes it is important. But if they were truly concerned with people's sensibilities, well.. that's a whole new can of worms!

But I thought that was weird, not giving us the translation of what she says in the ad- it's bothered me so much- then by surprise I got it through the closed captioning. To me it was a big deal, I ran up and told someone all excitedly about my "discovery" they were not impressed :/ ha ha. I have seen some odd stuff on the CC tho, even the sound of shall we say "raspberries" was on and the CC said "sound of gas being passed" what next! The closed captioning feature can send up some doozies sometimes.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

That's funny.

I've always wondered why the censors who bleep offensive language are never concerned with deaf people who can read lips.  Aren't their sensibilities important, too?

I've seen shows where the spoken curse words are cut out, but they are plain as day in the CC.  And don't think most deaf people are "sensitive" to bad words;  They've got some quite filthy mouths (err, hands) as well....  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic