Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carbonite 'No One Has To Know' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbonite 'No One Has To Know' (video)
    Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 4:23am
"CoolYeeeeeeeeeea, Baby! See you later..."
<oiuple.of.drinks.and.a.hooker.later> everytjing in this commercial happens and the wife comes home, eh?
*I* don't think so - Homey don't play 'dat!
If he did do all of that, why isn't the wife playing '100 questions' with him?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 5:46am
You know, I've backed up my PC before, and well, in the entire time it took to backup my whole PC there's no way in hell I could have managed to go out to eat, get a haircut, hit the race track and tennis court, then go scuba diving...what the hell is he backing up that ordinarily took him so long, the entire combined databases of the FBI, DEA, ATF, NSA, and CIA?
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
fishingmachine View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fishingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 5:46am
who in the hell takes a few hours to back their computer up? it takes an unskilled person about 5 minutes to locate their important files. burn them on a cd or get an external harddrive or thumb drive or whatever. is there really a need for a company dedicated to doing this for you, while having copies of, and going through, your personal files and information?
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 5:14pm
These cloud storage sites do take a day or two for the initial backup. They give priority to whatever you're already doing on the computer, so it can take even longer. I tried Mozy once and got sick of it after 24+ hours.

I think the point of them is that they're off-site, so if your house burns down or gets flooded with all your tech in it, or a thief breaks in and steals your computer AND back-up drives (this happened to a colleague recently), your files are still retrievable somewhere. It's not a bad concept; I just don't like the idea of all my files being in someone else's servers like that. Wish I hadn't even started the Mozy process.
ghostonthehorizon View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostonthehorizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 5:20pm
I had a friend use Carbonite before and when he went back to get the files none of them were there. From what the company said it's not quite that unusual for some files to disappear though all of them while it does happen not as frequently. That's why I'll always stick to a hard drive in the fire safe.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

These cloud storage sites do take a day or two for the initial backup. They give priority to whatever you're already doing on the computer, so it can take even longer. I tried Mozy once and got sick of it after 24+ hours.

I think the point of them is that they're off-site, so if your house burns down or gets flooded with all your tech in it, or a thief breaks in and steals your computer AND back-up drives (this happened to a colleague recently), your files are still retrievable somewhere. It's not a bad concept; I just don't like the idea of all my files being in someone else's servers like that. Wish I hadn't even started the Mozy process.
I'm not a proponent of 'network backups'; better to keep it 'local' (using a device that may be ported from computer to computer).
The speed of any backup is directly tied to the slowest component in the backup process - and, when considering 'network computing', it will always be the network itself. What is worse is that TCPIP is not a 'self-correcting' protocol; when errors occur, it will drop data packets, rather than re-transmit them, hence, 'lost' data, 'lost' files. CRC (cyclic redundancy checking) is often employed in certain network protocols and actually, at some hardare layers. When employed, the chances of 1-for-1 data copy being accurate is MUCH greater, but can take a little longer). If one is 'losing data', it is not being properly employed, the process is flawed,
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I'm not a proponent of 'network backups'; better to keep it 'local' (using a device that may be ported from computer to computer).
The speed of any backup is directly tied to the slowest component in the backup process - and, when considering 'network computing', it will always be the network itself. What is worse is that TCPIP is not a 'self-correcting' protocol; when errors occur, it will drop data packets, rather than re-transmit them, hence, 'lost' data, 'lost' files. CRC (cyclic redundancy checking) is often employed in certain network protocols and actually, at some hardare layers. When employed, the chances of 1-for-1 data copy being accurate is MUCH greater, but can take a little longer). If one is 'losing data', it is not being properly employed, the process is flawed,

So if one were to do the backup on a faster connection, it would go faster? (Or I guess take the computer straight to Carbonite and connect it to theirs?)

I guess the problem with an on-site device is that it's susceptible to the same environmental and criminal issues. You'd have to hide it in a safety deposit box and get it out for periodic updates. There are problems with both approaches. Which is why I email myself every draft of my dissertation along the way. It's not perfect but that's one more place I can look if my laptop and portable drive and USB drive all fail. (And I email from the school's Outlook server to gmail so it's in an outbox and inbox on separate servers. I can NOT lose this stuff!)

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 7:31pm

So if one were to do the backup on a faster connection, it would go faster? (Or I guess take the computer straight to Carbonite and connect it to theirs?)
That is generally a 'safe assumption', but one must understand the overall process - all 'pieces and parts', from end-to-end. In almost every case, the NETWORK is the slowest component, and, in the case of TCPIP, there are also 'the number of hops' employed to establish connections; your route isn't always the same and points in the route may operate at different rates. We can always drag in telephone company 'point of presence' phone switching complications that come with this, too, but now we are 'under the protocol' itself and into physical limitations.
In any case, hardware to directly-attached hardware will always be fastest (and, in *my* books, safest and preferred). If you directly attached your computer to Carbonite's hardware? It wouldn't be as fast as still performing your own direct backups, but you'd be taking advantage of their process management, while trusting your sensitive data to those kind folks you don't know. Where do they store your data? In the U.S. of Americo? What is their stock symbol? Are they strong or are they about to get boiught out by a 3rd world organization? Sure, there are plenty of contractural words and documents to sign to make you feel safe. Now, try and enforce your rights after being violated - you may end up vidicated, but probably not for quite some time, a lot of pain and possible indirect damage. Enough 'simple thoughts'.

I guess the problem with an on-site device is that it's susceptible to the same environmental and criminal issues. You'd have to hide it in a safety deposit box and get it out for periodic updates. There are problems with both approaches. Which is why I email myself every draft of my dissertation along the way. It's not perfect but that's one more place I can look if my laptop and portable drive and USB drive all fail. (And I email from the school's Outlook server to gmail so it's in an outbox and inbox on separate servers. I can NOT lose this stuff!)
ShockedHere's hoping you encrypt the heck out of anything you are storing on email servers! 
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 5:12am

That is generally a 'safe assumption', but one must understand the overall process - all 'pieces and parts', from end-to-end. In almost every case, the NETWORK is the slowest component, and, in the case of TCPIP, there are also 'the number of hops' employed to establish connections; your route isn't always the same and points in the route may operate at different rates. We can always drag in telephone company 'point of presence' phone switching complications that come with this, too, but now we are 'under the protocol' itself and into physical limitations.
In any case, hardware to directly-attached hardware will always be fastest (and, in *my* books, safest and preferred). If you directly attached your computer to Carbonite's hardware? It wouldn't be as fast as still performing your own direct backups, but you'd be taking advantage of their process management, while trusting your sensitive data to those kind folks you don't know. Where do they store your data? In the U.S. of Americo? What is their stock symbol? Are they strong or are they about to get boiught out by a 3rd world organization? Sure, there are plenty of contractural words and documents to sign to make you feel safe. Now, try and enforce your rights after being violated - you may end up vidicated, but probably not for quite some time, a lot of pain and possible indirect damage. Enough 'simple thoughts'.

ShockedHere's hoping you encrypt the heck out of anything you are storing on email servers! 

Makes enough sense to me -- that's why I didn't finish with Mozy!

The school server is encrypted, but I doubt Gmail is. I'm not as worried about security on my research since it's not scientific or anything, just something in the Humanities. I'm more concerned about having to re-write even one page of it due to data loss. Churning that stuff out is excruciating, hence all the time I spend on sites like this! Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic