Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Life Alert can now save you from burgulars!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Life Alert can now save you from burgulars!
    Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 4:57pm
Well that's according to this ad I've seen there's a longer version of this with testimonials about how great it is and a new old woman actor for the infamous "I've fallen and I can't get up!" line. But this is the most ridiculous part of the ad.

do they seriously think this will stop a couple of persistent burglars, from committing a crime?, I don't think so, I'm sorry but a couple of cold blooded thugs won't be scared of a big booming voice.

It'll probably work as well as a car alarm. Unhappy

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

nathanismyhero View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanismyhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 5:10pm
I'm guessing it works just as well as that old man who's a security guard at the mall. The one who makes teenagers tremble in fear at the sight of his flashlight and whistle.
jenjen View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by nathanismyhero nathanismyhero wrote:

I'm guessing it works just as well as that old man who's a security guard at the mall. The one who makes teenagers tremble in fear at the sight of his flashlight and whistle.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClap
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 9:01pm
Dare I say, I can see it.  The voice said they were recorded and police were on the way.  A regular alarm sound doesn't necessarily come with those "services."  They knew without a doubt they were screwed with this one.
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 10:29pm
Welcome, nathanismyhero.  Laughed myself into the hiccups over your post!  Well put.
Love endures all.
JimA View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 12:32am
Originally posted by B.the1st B.the1st wrote:

Dare I say, I can see it.  The voice said they were recorded and police were on the way.  A regular alarm sound doesn't necessarily come with those "services."  They knew without a doubt they were screwed with this one.

Right. They never said the man's voice made the guys leave. They left because they knew the cops were on the way.
nickdawg View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 7:43am
Speaking of the absurdity of burglar alarm ads, ever notice how ridiculous the "break in" scenes are? 

I saw one on CNN the other day where a masked man breaks a window, hears the alarm and runs.  ANd the woman is standing right there!!!  Must be the worlds dumbest crook to break in a house where the person is home and in the same room!
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 1:48pm
Post removed at user's request.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 12:16am
They need to make it have the barking dogs sound effect too.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Luanne89 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luanne89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 12:42am
So the man can see inside the woman's house at second's notice? How convenient.  Confused
AntD919 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntD919 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 5:34am
well I was looking for a thread about a different ad for a wear-around-the-neck-emergency-service-requester-thing-a-ma-whatsit but haven't found it yet. It's not LifeAlert but another brand name. The one with an elderly... well... 60-ish lady dancing a little jig around the house for an uncomfortably long time, by herself, just daring her heart to sputter out because she now has the ability, at the push of a button, to summon medical aid to her side lickety split. Problem is the dance is so awful I found myself hoping to see her hit the deck. I know, it's horrible, but thats the kind of dark, sinister characteristics these bad commercials unearth from the depths of my sick and demented psyche.... I guess.Confused
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 12:43pm
Actually, looks like a very, very good thing.
It appears they really work - I've known a few folks with them, or that have family utilizing this service. Probably a product that requires a tad bit of research before making a decision, or just 'blanket-damning'... 
We were about to get the pendants for two family members, but conditions changed and the requirementswere eliminated.

God forbid *I* should ever need one - if so, I think I need the next version where I can get a proper response to, "Help, I've fallen and I can't reach my Molson's Ice!".  Think I'll drop something in the Molson's customer service/'contact us' section of their website... 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 2:08am
I'm going to have to disagree with people on this one. There are times that I would love to have imeadiate backup with me. This is on of the reason's why I do appreciate my cell phone but it takes like 4 minutes just to "warm" it up (go through all the opening screens).  
athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 5:31am
It seemed like those guys just bumped the door open too easily.  Was that lock made of balsa wood??

Rachel seemed like a lonely MILF.  She probably said"  Hey boys, the best goodies are upstairs"Tongue
AntD919 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntD919 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 9:39pm
For the record, I'm not knocking the product, just the ad. A lot of fine products have horrible commercials that are pushed in my face on a daily basis and this is just a good conduit for venting.
smokefilledlungs View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokefilledlungs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 2:11am
What the f**k? That old guy is just sitting there, waiting for "Rachel" to call?
This lady should get a cat and get back to me about her loud noises.  I once rushed downstairs, bat in hand, to find Kitty swinging from the chandelier.
Now when I hear a loud noise, I yell, "Hey burgalars, I have a gun," and go back to sleep.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 6:18pm
I've seen a couple of these new "Life Alert" (or some similar company's) ads.  I can't believe they still use that "I've FALLEN....and I CAN'T UP!!" line.  That's been lampooned for what...about 20 years now?  The latest one shows a more stylish and attractive "old lady" who's met the same fate as "Original Old Lady".   She's all twisted and contorted on the floor looking like a frightened horse.  In the next scenes her "daughter" laments "I didn't want to put mother into a retirement home".   Uh....are they trying to sugar coat nursing home?  I would think using "nursing home" would be more effective because some of those facilities are truly horrifying.  In my book, a "retirement home" is a lovely community in like...Arizona.  Complete with on site nurses, golf courses and restaurants.   Of course you can fall and crack your ass open there, too.  But at least your surroundings are pretty while you're lying on your back waiting for your "Life Alert" to kick in.  Wink
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 7:06pm
That 'video link' demonstration in the ad looked ridiculous...with that booming voice warning the burglars to leave...'FLEE, CITIZENS! I HAVE SPOKEN!'LOL
Vlad The Impaler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 9:08pm
I remember when car alarms were fairly new and this one had a voice that boomed "VIPER PROTECTED: PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE!!!"

Now these alarms were the type that were so sensitive that you would set them off if you just walked by a vehicle that had one installed - you don't even have to touch it. Well I was in college and I saw a guy walk by one of these cars and the booming voice screamed at him so the guy kicked a big dent in the drivers side door.

I'm sure the owner of the car soon became aware of the "unintended consequences" of car alarms....

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 5:43am
OMG!

there's a new one I call it LifeAlert laugh fest!

damn I can't find a video but it's where superhero loud voiced sitting at desk guy saves various people from burglars, fires,and falling down. It's so BADLY acted.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Lovelyday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovelyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 11:05pm
Yeah, like I would trust someone else with my safety.  AS IF, he can help, and AS IF the police will get their quickly... Lady, get a shot gun and keep it by your bed. 
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 12:57am
I've fallen and I can't get up ® is shown at the bottom of the screen durng the ad.
They registered the stupid old lady's cry for help.
OMFG They R E G I S T E R E D  the stupid quote.
Do they think people are just lying in the road saying this so much that to the point of protecting a stupid quote?!?!

Well, I guess it just screams legitimacy to the old.
was feeling nostalgic
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 1:16am
Bumping this up.  Active topic. 
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 3:19am
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

In the next scenes her "daughter" laments "I didn't want to put mother into a retirement home".   Uh....are they trying to sugar coat nursing home?   Wink

Well, I remember when they called them Old Folks homesEmbarrassed
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

OMG!

there's a new one I call it LifeAlert laugh fest!

damn I can't find a video but it's where superhero loud voiced sitting at desk guy saves various people from burglars, fires,and falling down. It's so BADLY acted.

Is this the one you meant?  Couldn't find it on YouTube, but I Googled :"Life Alert 50+" and found their webpage, where you can watch a snippet of the commercial:

http://www.lifealert.com/50plus.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic