Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stupid slow dirty pc!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stupid slow dirty pc!
    Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 1:18pm
I know theres an older thread on this from 2011, so excuse me for creating a new one. I was more focused on this latest Mycleanpc ad....
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Y_N/my-clean-pc
I've been seeing this commercial a lot lately. Couldn't find the current one in the link on youtube, but its starting to grate on my nerves. After a quick google search I found that many sites say what I suspected from the start....its a ripoff.

It annoys me because  the first time I saw it I kept thinking who the hell says stuff like "stupid slow dirty PC" like a child? If its slow did you check to see if you're running too many things in the background? Maybe you nned to defrag it...or maybe you oughtta use the software that came with it...I've not seen a PC come without a trial at least of McAfee or Norton. Worst case scenario, back up your important files and reformat the hard drive. These are my first thoughts and I'm not an expert, and I'm almost 49 years old. I didn't learn a thing about computers until I was way into adult life...this woman is like half my age meaning she had the benefit of learning about them while in school. These things didn't occur to her?
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 1:31pm
Calling an inanimate object "stupid" makes her sound stupid.  But I don't know which is worse---calling the computer stupid or, as with the other commercial, saying "Let's go to the store and get a new one".

What surprises me about these commercials, though, is that they don't portray the man as the clueless one.

edit:  I just looked at your link.  It wasn't the commercial I was thinking of.  The one I was thinking of involved a young female florist and an older male customer.  Same holds true, though.

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 1:47pm
It bugs me in the same way another pc commercial bugs me...one where they'll back up your files for a sub of course. But you could just use that money for a thumb drive, or a portable HD and do that yourself. Or have Norton do it. (I'm sure McAfee has the same service). I woul think that most people have PCs that come with either or both and to keep it past trial you'll pay a sub, but you get the backup service too. I don't know anyone that doesn't have one of those programs of AV on their machines.

I guess there are some, but a PC working too slowly or being obviously infected isn't such a disaster that you need to sign up for mycleanpc.com. My wife isn't that PC savvy and her computer was badly infected once. I just copied her personal files (which are mostly just photos) and reformatted the drive for her. I guess I'm just cranky about things I think are ripoffs on TV.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 2:01pm
I don't know how to do the stuff you mentioned.  Reformatting the hard drive?  Never done it, and don't trust my lack of experience enough to give it a try.

A few weeks ago, though, upon installing a new ink cartridge in my printer, my computer totally froze up.  Couldn't do anything---not even move my cursor.  I tried turning it off and turning it back on (via the tower button, as nothing was working), but no luck.  Turned out it was a problem with my power strip.  I turned that off, turned it back on---and all was OK.  I got lucky.  Otherwise, I'd have to have called up my computer guy.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 3:01pm
There's another commercial that takes place in a floral shop, though I think it's for a different scam company.   Granted it's not as Oscar-worthy as the "stupid slow dirty pc" one, but it still has some high quality top tier acting, and I especially just love that unexpected plot twist at the end when he gets the flowers on the house.  Great stuff I tell ya.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 3:40pm
There have been people who install this thing on a brand new, fresh out of the box PC and it tells them they have 3000 errors. It's all a scam! Free diagnosis, sure, but you have to pay for it to "fix" these imaginary problems for you.

I hate the way that dude talks. It's like he's holding his nose or something. Also his face comes off as smug and yet incredibly stupid. I just want to smash it in with my fist.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

There have been people who install this thing on a brand new, fresh out of the box PC and it tells them they have 3000 errors. It's all a scam! Free diagnosis, sure, but you have to pay for it to "fix" these imaginary problems for you.

I used to get this pop-up that would tell me that.  I guess they figured people would panic, and buy the damned product.  It was a pain in the ass to get rid of.  Always had to shut down the computer to get it to stop.  I wonder if it was one of these companies.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 4:32pm
Whenever 'complaints' is the first thing that comes up in Google's drop down suggestion box, you know the product is a sham:

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't know how to do the stuff you mentioned.  Reformatting the hard drive?  Never done it, and don't trust my lack of experience enough to give it a try.

A few weeks ago, though, upon installing a new ink cartridge in my printer, my computer totally froze up.  Couldn't do anything---not even move my cursor.  I tried turning it off and turning it back on (via the tower button, as nothing was working), but no luck.  Turned out it was a problem with my power strip.  I turned that off, turned it back on---and all was OK.  I got lucky.  Otherwise, I'd have to have called up my computer guy.

I wouldn't begrudge you that. I own a car, but I damn sure can't fix it. But if you ever had to reformat the drive from you're OS disk its not too difficult after you do it once or twice. Granted I would need to go to the printed out directions myself, 'cuz I'm no expert either.
But I'm betting that if your PC got slow you'd at least try looking to see if you have anything in the background running or use the built in utilities to solve it first before calling mycleanpc.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 6:46pm

I used to get this pop-up that would tell me that.  I guess they figured people would panic, and buy the damned product.  It was a pain in the ass to get rid of.  Always had to shut down the computer to get it to stop.  I wonder if it was one of these companies.

I learned about this the hard way a few years ago. It started with a genuine appearing "Microsoft alert" pop-up. The message was something like, "A virus has been detected on your computer" There was a scan now button. I clicked on the button and it appeared to be scanning. After a couple of minutes I was informed that something like 267 infections were detected! "Click here to remove infections". This opened a window attempting to sell me virus removal software with a "Microsoft like" title for only $79.99! Being suspicious I restarted and discovered my home page had been changed and pop-up blocker was disabled. At this point I shut down the computer. The next day at work I described what had happened to our IT guy. He was very familiar with what he called "Scare/Hostage ware". The "scan" installed "Malware" then "found" the bogus 267 infections. The $80 "fix" just disables the annoying features so the customer/sucker think they have made a wise decision. He made me feel better by telling me that even if I had attempted to close the original pop-up the results would have been the same. He recomended PC Doctor for removal. It worked fine. 
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

I learned about this the hard way a few years ago. It started with a genuine appearing "Microsoft alert" pop-up. The message was something like, "A virus has been detected on your computer" There was a scan now button. I clicked on the button and it appeared to be scanning. After a couple of minutes I was informed that something like 267 infections were detected! "Click here to remove infections". This opened a window attempting to sell me virus removal software with a "Microsoft like" title for only $79.99! Being suspicious I restarted and discovered my home page had been changed and pop-up blocker was disabled. At this point I shut down the computer. The next day at work I described what had happened to our IT guy. He was very familiar with what he called "Scare/Hostage ware". The "scan" installed "Malware" then "found" the bogus 267 infections. The $80 "fix" just disables the annoying features so the customer/sucker think they have made a wise decision. He made me feel better by telling me that even if I had attempted to close the original pop-up the results would have been the same. He recomended PC Doctor for removal. It worked fine. 
That happened to me but I was immediately suspicious. I'm sure messages like that scare the bejeezuz out of older folks promptim them to spend their money.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 8:20pm
Sarge, I got that Microsoft pop-up, too.  And when I closed that, I got another pop-up that started doing the scan.  And when I closed that, the pseudo-Microsoft pop-up popped up again.  And on and on, till I shut down the computer.  As I recall, it happened a few times before it stopped permanently.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 9:41pm

Sarge, I got that Microsoft pop-up, too.  And when I closed that, I got another pop-up that started doing the scan.  And when I closed that, the pseudo-Microsoft pop-up popped up again.  And on and on, till I shut down the computer.  As I recall, it happened a few times before it stopped permanently.
That's the one! I was told the only way to close it is to shut down. It sounds like you were able to do this before it could install the bug. I think MyCleanPC's scam is charging for software that uses the cleanup programs that already come with windows. I am so tired of these A-holes trying to make easy money with scams.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 10:07pm
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 4:17am
Whenever she calls it a "dirty PC" I can't help but assume it got that way because her boyfriend downloaded a ton of pr0n while she wasn't looking. "Dirty" is probably not the best word to use in this context. But this whole company is a joke so I guess it doesn't matter. 

Glad I have a Mac so I don't have to mess with this stuff!  Geek
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 5:43pm

That's the one! I was told the only way to close it is to shut down. It sounds like you were able to do this before it could install the bug. I think MyCleanPC's scam is charging for software that uses the cleanup programs that already come with windows. I am so tired of these A-holes trying to make easy money with scams.
Well, months ago when the malware problem threatened almost everyone I actually did find that my PC had the issue. I downloaded Microsofts tools that were made specifically to fix the issue, but being paranoid I decided to try Regcleanpro too. Looking it up online regcleanpro seems to have a so-so reputation.

But I noticed that my pc was actually slower with it installed. I uninstalled it and the machine is significantly faster with running only Norton and McAfee scans.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 9:44pm
If you dont already, get malwarebytes. It takes care of all those fake popups and most issues. And its free!

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 9:59pm

Microsoft can not tell you that it detected a virus because it can't - unless  one has it's AV download installed.
fishingmachine View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 10:14pm
for anyone having computer issues, malwarebytes and AVG is a good enough combo for most pcs and both are completely free without the "free trial" crap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic