Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Christian Mingle "Love Song" (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christian Mingle "Love Song" (video)
    Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 8:49pm
DeadThe least ChristianMingle.com could do is have a contest for *best and catchiest* jingle - they MUST have some 'talent' out there.
One opinion: This song starts in the middle of nowhere and ends up far away in the middle of nowhere.
Anytime I hear this cut starting, stuff ends up all over the floor as I grab for the remote brick required to silence the idiot box.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Oldiesmann View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldiesmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 9:12pm
The music is "Love Song For A Savior"  by Jars Of Clay. It first appeared on the band's debut album in 1995. It was not written for this commercial.

However, it also has absolutely nothing to do with a personal relationship between two humans.

The lyrics right before what's used in the commercial:

Quote In open fields of wild flowers,
She breathes the air and flies away
She thanks her Jesus for the daisies and the roses
In no simple language
Someday she'll understand the meaning of it all

He's more than the laughter or the stars in the heavens
As close a heartbeat or a song on her lips
Someday she'll trust Him and learn how to see Him

I really wish they wouldn't take the song out of context like that!
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 9:29pm
Without even taking the lyrics or the Christian element into consideration, Christian pop music is never more than just adequate.  It's always a snoozefest.  This stuff just sounds like typical lethargic 1970s folk music meets whiney 1990's emo.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 2:14am
These commercials make my skin crawl.  They are saccriney (?), sickly sweet.  This is just me, but they make  me feel like the men make all the choices.  In the newest one, they say something like Christian Mingle helped them find who God wanted them to be with--well, why didn't God just get them together without the damn dating service then.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Oldiesmann View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldiesmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 3:13am
I've always hated their slogan of "Find God's match for you!". Although we can't explain everything God does, what if he wants you to meet your match another way?

I know at least one person who found their match through eHarmony. Others have met other ways. And what about all those people who got married prior to the existence of the internet and dating sites?
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
Cincinnati, Ohio
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 4:56am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

In the newest one, they say something like Christian Mingle helped them find who God wanted them to be with--well, why didn't God just get them together without the damn dating service then.

Not just the newest one, they've been saying that in their ads for about as long as I can remember them...and I've wondered that same question, also about as long as I can remember them airing.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 12:13pm

These commercials make my skin crawl.  They are saccriney (?), sickly sweet.  This is just me, but they make  me feel like the men make all the choices.  In the newest one, they say something like Christian Mingle helped them find who God wanted them to be with--well, why didn't God just get them together without the damn dating service then.

You're not alone. Theres something about these commercials that makes me feel sick to my stomach. I can't seem to articulate it, but they make me feel ill and somewhat angry.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 4:54pm
I heard it costs 30 bucks a month to really "use" the site.

I like how the all-powerful creator of the universe can't get people together unless you give 30 bucks a month. LOL
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

You're not alone. Theres something about these commercials that makes me feel sick to my stomach. I can't seem to articulate it, but they make me feel ill and somewhat angry.
100% agreed.
I think I took it on a slightly different tangent with the original commercial.
(Link to that thread--->>>Direct Link To This Post)
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 5:24pm

Maybe it's the fact that Jesus preached poverty and the website charges 30 bucks a month?

But, there's always an excuse that Jesus didn't really mean what He said. Wink

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Oldiesmann Oldiesmann wrote:

I've always hated their slogan of "Find God's match for you!". Although we can't explain everything God does, what if he wants you to meet your match another way?

And what about all those people who got married prior to the existence of the internet and dating sites?
Like at church.

Sorry, I haven't received an email from God telling me I'll find my match at Christian Single dot com yet.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 1:10am
Originally posted by TV_Casualty TV_Casualty wrote:

Maybe it's the fact that Jesus preached poverty and the website charges 30 bucks a month?

But, there's always an excuse that Jesus didn't really mean what He said. Wink

Exactly.  Jesus wanted people to be poor and destitute.  Starving to death and homeless is optimal!  Wink

cspark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cspark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 1:29am
What is driving me nuts is that the guy pitching the service has never learned to properly pronounce the name of the business. 
Or is it really "Krishna Mingle"?
JillOnThe1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JillOnThe1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 10:23pm
I was curious, and I checked out the website.  Seriously, many of the guys looked like they also have "profiles" hanging up at Post Office's Wanted bulletin board.  I know that this argument could be made for any dating site, but I'm betting that Christian Mingle (or Krishna Mingle..haha cspark) is ripe with scam artists looking for a doe-eyed Christian girl-next-door who will be willing to "follow God's plan" for their match.  

Those commercials give me the creeps in a big way.  I'm a Christian, and lest we not judge and all that business...but look at that couple in the commercial...weirdos dancing in the kitchen, stiff smiles, fake kissing.  Not good, Lori and Curtis.
Every. Senior. Citizen. Should have LifeAlert.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 4:11am
Ermm..."Do you uncover yer face on the first date, or can we just f**k?"
Cantstanzya View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cantstanzya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 4:25pm

I hate all phony dating company commercials for this reason but these are magnified. Very obnoxious, as is often the case with money making ventures with a "Chri$tian" label slapped on it. The fact that a business has to use religion to make a buck by going the Christians only route with that nanny nanny boo boo smugness and faux serenity is also obnoxious to me. Patriarchal stereotypes also sell well with this demographic.

Christian rock like this is usually just plain goofy, forced and jive to me. It just feels phony: can't make it as a rock star? How about lowering the bar as a gimmicky christian rock star! There used to be an ad for a Christian rock compilation CD with goofy songs like this on it. The commercial would show concert footage of people swaying and waving their hands and out-praising each other to the hip and with it contemporary music - kind of like the way hippies had to out hippy each other with their spaced out dancing in any 1960s music festival footage. It is both disturbing and funny at the same time.
Thank you DVR!
Cantstanzya View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cantstanzya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by JillOnThe1 JillOnThe1 wrote:

I was curious, and I checked out the website.  Seriously, many of the guys looked like they also have "profiles" hanging up at Post Office's Wanted bulletin board.  I know that this argument could be made for any dating site, but I'm betting that Christian Mingle (or Krishna Mingle..haha cspark) is ripe with scam artists looking for a doe-eyed Christian girl-next-door who will be willing to "follow God's plan" for their match.  

Those commercials give me the creeps in a big way.  I'm a Christian, and lest we not judge and all that business...but look at that couple in the commercial...weirdos dancing in the kitchen, stiff smiles, fake kissing.  Not good, Lori and Curtis.

Good point. There are a lot of "born again" drug addicts, ex-cons and so on. Whatever works for you to change your life and it really is great but many converted super christians I know tend to have hit rock bottom in some way and are still "off" and some are still kind of scary. If I were a woman and dating I would be very leery of picking up men on any dating site, let alone this one.
Thank you DVR!
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Cantstanzya Cantstanzya wrote:

I hate all phony dating company commercials for this reason but these are magnified. Very obnoxious, as is often the case with money making ventures with a "Chri$tian" label slapped on it. The fact that a business has to use religion to make a buck by going the Christians only route with that nanny nanny boo boo smugness and faux serenity is also obnoxious to me. Patriarchal stereotypes also sell well with this demographic.

Christian rock like this is usually just plain goofy, forced and jive to me. It just feels phony: can't make it as a rock star? How about lowering the bar as a gimmicky christian rock star! There used to be an ad for a Christian rock compilation CD with goofy songs like this on it. The commercial would show concert footage of people swaying and waving their hands and out-praising each other to the hip and with it contemporary music - kind of like the way hippies had to out hippy each other with their spaced out dancing in any 1960s music festival footage. It is both disturbing and funny at the same time.

I actually liked Jars of Clay, particularly this song, back in the day. It weirds me out to hear it used for a dating site. They did have some mainstream success with another song, "Flood," off the same album.

But in general I think you're right. Most Christian rock is sub-standard, unfortunately. Reminds me of something the wise Hank Hill once said:

"Can't you see you' re not making Christianity better? You're just making rock n' roll worse!"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

"Can't you see you' re not making Christianity better? You're just making rock n' roll worse!"

Who can forget Stryper?  Funny---they look and sound like every other by-the-numbers hair band of the era.  I hope that they've since repented for putting out this stuff.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

Who can forget Stryper?  Funny---they look and sound like every other by-the-numbers hair band of the era.  I hope that they've since repented for putting out this stuff.

The repenting part actually made me laugh out loud. Stryper was a little before my time, enough that they were a joke to us in youth group. However, I will confess to an extended period in the 1990s as the ultimate Petra fan.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 9:05pm
Petra?  I'm afraid to look them up.

There've been a few Christian-ish songs that I've liked.  One is this one, from when I was in junior high school.

And Rick Springfield's first hit in 1971 was a Christian song.  It was kind of a fad back then.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 9:40pm
Just once I'd like to see one of these Christian Mingle commercials use something like this as their B/G Christian music, just to throw people a curve ball:

And for the record, while I've been a huge metal fan since I was about 9, I don't particularly care for this brand of metal.   I'd never heard of these guys until Googling "Christian Death Metal."

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 10:09pm
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to call it Christian Resurrection Metal?
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 10:43pm
There's definitely been a few good Christian metal bands. A lot of them aren't, but a few are. Christian thrash metal band Believer was one of the first thrash acts to use non-traditional thrash instruments in their music, with the addition of a violin.  Then there's Theocracy who have put out some great stuff(including some absolutely hilarious Christmas songs), Seventh Angel whose very dark, doomy brand of thrash is very distinctive, Tourniquet have done some quality material...

Here's a very...non-traditional Christmas song from Theocracy!

And a couple of non-holiday tracks:

"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Petra?  I'm afraid to look them up.

There've been a few Christian-ish songs that I've liked.  One is this one, from when I was in junior high school.

And Rick Springfield's first hit in 1971 was a Christian song.  It was kind of a fad back then.

Wow! as I was driving home tonight Spirit in the Sky played on the radio. I was thinking... pretty good guitar and a driving beat. I don't think the Christian music fans embraced this one. It was to much like real rock and a "spirit in the sky" could be interpreted as something other than God. I had religion shoved down my throat from birth to about 15 y/o when I said enough is enough. I am able to make my peace with God and follow the basic rules without formal religion. I have no interest in Christian Mingle. 
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic