Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blood on their hands....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blood on their hands....
    Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 4:57pm
The two Australian radio DJ's who made that prank call to the hospital where Catherine the Duchess of Cambridge & wife of Prince William was staying now have blood on their hands.

Seems that the nurse who took the call & connected them to the ward where she was staying, has been found dead of an apparent suicide.

Which is what they have hopefully committed with regard to their careers.

I am sick of these goofball assholes who victimize other people for their own popularity.

Granted, suicide is an awfully extreme reaction to having a joke played on you, but these dumbasses ought to have been able to foretell at least the possibility of some such dire consequence of their childish, immature actions.

I hope their careers in the entertainment industry are finished forever.

I hope they both wind up working in the same all night diner... she as a waitress & he as a dishwasher.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 5:34pm
Oh my...suicide is very extreme, you're right.  I'm so sorry to hear that.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 5:43pm

The story is horrible, plain and straight.

I expect a price will be paid for the stunt (which, no matter HOW one views it, just was in bad taste and not at all funny).

What seems even worse is the half-assed apology the DJs offered. The two are an embarassment to Austrailia, much less the radio station they represent. Sure would seem logical they will be dismissed shortly, possibly arrested, later.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 5:50pm
I hate these stupid pranks that shock jocks play.  A few years ago, a DJ in my area had a woman down gallons of water in order to win a Playstation for her son for Christmas (or something like that).  She ended up dying of water intoxication.

In the Princess story, I may not have expected the woman to commit suicide, but didn't these guys think that the woman could get fired for putting the phone call through?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 6:01pm
I'd like to hear that the suicide story itself is a hoax---played on the DJs to teach 'em a lesson.  Not sure if such a thing could be pulled off, though.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 6:30pm
The DJs clearly didn't THINK at all.
Indeed, if the suicide was a 'return hoax', that would be great...but then we could have two DJs commit suicide...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 7:43pm
WinkYou can always pass along a message to their radio station.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 12:19am
They have been suspended from the show "until further notice", supposedly out of respect, etc.

Yeah, right.

The station is covering it's ass & waiting to see if the outrage blows over.

If it blows over they come back to work. If it doesn't, they're gone.

Like I said, I hope they never work in radio or televison again & wind up working the graveyard shift together, slinging hash & washing dishes in the same all night greasy spoon in some God forsaken, crocodile & rattlesnake-infested corner of the Australian outback.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 12:48am

ol'Mule...wasn't it in Tampa with Opie and Anthony - or idiots like them, years back, where some crap like this occurred? Don't recall anyone killing themselves over it, but it was just as, if not more tasteless.

We learn from histoy so as not to repeate mistakes - these idiots not only didn't learn where 'lines in the sand' exist, they went the 'extra mile' and never considered simple little things like 'cultural pride' (especially since it wasn't THEIR culture) and any number of basic human respects. Seems more and more folk not only forget their own history, they blatently disrespect their own heritage.

And they believe themselves 'funny'.

Yea - indeed, *I* did indeed provide my '2 shillings worth' to those in 'rooLand.

F*(k'em.

Over the years, that is one country that can be a genuine pain in the ass to deal with, anyway. 

Maybe if'n they 'draw & quarter' the two idjits, or just ensure your original suggested end-result IN A HURRY, I'll respect the Aussies.
Maybe spend a dollar at 'Outback'.
Not much else.

britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 4:28am
I think anyone hoping for retribution would seem to forget we exist in a culture that rewards bad behaviour.  Save yourself the futile expectation of just punishment in a society that reveres and rewards antics such as this....I guarantee Grieg & Christian behind closed doors are self righteous and indignant regarding any culpability about what happened to that nurse....they aren't humanitarians...they are DJ's.  Don't think integrity is a requirement for that job.    Only a penchant for shallow, superficial, sophomoric and juvenile behaviour with a limited grasp of the world at large.  Ugh.  
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 5:56am
I think that what these DJs did is ridiculous and cruel and I wish radio stations would do away with these stupid pranks. They are not funny and they prey on people who do not have the advantage of realizing what's going on. Angry

As a former DJ myself, I would never have agreed to do something like this, whether my audience would have found it entertaining or not. My station would also never have asked me to do it, and they would never have condoned any of the DJs acting like this either. Whatever happened to playing music, doing interviews, and reporting the news? This morning zoo type bullsh*t is old, grating, and boring, and many times also cruel, and needs to be done with.Angry
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 1:42pm
I don't think there was any vicious intent on the part of the DJs.  I'm sure the DJs are as shocked as everyone else that this turned out as it did.  I mean, a drunk driver doesn't expect to hurt anyone, either.  But people need to realize that things can go awry, and turn the switch on that says "Maybe not a good idea". 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 2:56pm
Agreed.

I doubt they are completely heartless, but then again I'm guessing the bulk of their concern centers around what kind of trouble THEY might be in.

I'm sure they meant no harm & felt it was just a harmless prank, but given the incredible status of the subjects of the prank, i.e., the Royal Family, they really should've stopped & thought about the potential consequences.

This may very possibly be the turning point. This may be the seminal event that puts an end to all future radio prank calls. There may very well be a new standard policy in the industry from here on out, spelled out specifically in these morning DJs' contracts.

About time, too.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 7:52pm
ConfusedNooo No No...I'm not ready for any 'teary eyed'-b.s. about how they meant no harm, nor any sappy 'turn the other cheek'-silliness, this time.
I wouldn't even attempt to compare their actions to those of anyone else in any other situation.
Yea, I will condemn their actions and hence, them.
Next thing you know, other mentally-bent youngsters will be trying it out and giggling like schoolgirls.
'Immature and irresponsible actions while in a position of influence and a reach to many' is the best description of their activity that comes to my mind.

Retribution? SURE.

Hospital slams prank call radio station over nurse's death

It is coming back around, slowly.
Yes, the DJ's are off the air.
A major station sponsor has cancelled financial support for the station.
The Austrailian media regulators are being asked for comment.
orion70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orion70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 8:44pm
One of the first things I thought of was how the media hounded William's mother and played a role in her death, and media were involved in the death of this woman where Kate is being treated.  It's a wonder someone hasn't tried to turn this into one big conspiracy theory. 

This is an enormously sh*tty situation all around.  I do believe, unless this nurse faced some sort of extreme special service interrogation as a result of her actions, that she likely had mental health issues to begin with.  Not that that excuses the DJ's actions, they would have been the straw that broke the camel's back regardless. 

This woman was a single mother of two young children was she not?  Those are the ones I'm thinking of.  What a legacy to leave to your children. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 9:00pm

I understand she was a married mother of two children.

The hospital itself is famous and panders to royalty; standards and pressure to perform, along with ethical code of conduct, will obviously be a little higher...but, again, it is a hospital. Pranks just have no place, there.

About as funny (but MUCH more harmful) as someone calling for a person's mother (during the mother's funeral), to advise she just won the 'Publishers' Clearinghouse Sweepstakes' - all she needs to do is appear.
(Embarrassedoops! I just 'compared the incident', now didn't I?)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

ConfusedNooo No No...I'm not ready for any 'teary eyed'-b.s. about how they meant no harm, nor any sappy 'turn the other cheek'-silliness, this time.
I wouldn't even attempt to compare their actions to those of anyone else in any other situation.

Well, in this country at least, "intent" is taken into consideration.

But I might compare this situation with the guy at Rutgers last year whose roommate video'd him having sex with some guy and then posted it somewhere, which ended with the guy jumping off a bridge to his death.  In this case, even though the intent was clearly more malicious, the perp was only charged with some minor offenses.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

But I might compare this situation with the guy at Rutgers last year whose roommate video'd him having sex with some guy and then posted it somewhere, which ended with the guy jumping off a bridge to his death.  In this case, even though the intent was clearly more malicious, the perp was only charged with some minor offenses.

Confused...yeeeaaa....think I recall reading such an incident. Not sure how much outrage that generated, but that almost fits a 'bullying'-related charge, it would seem.
Even though all parties involved were college-age, no way a 'slap on the wrist' would be appropriate, there. That just fosters more of the same stupidity.
orion70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orion70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 12:04am
I can't remember the details of that one exactly, but the victim would have been identified clearly in that video.  Before this suicide, no one would have known who this person actually was, just that "a nurse" had been prank called, wasn't it?  Especially as it was the person who put the call through, not the voice on the radio.  Aside from coworkers, I can't imagine anyone even knew who she was, and as someone who didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the prank news, I hadn't even known there was someone involved in putting the call through like that.  Not that coworkers can't make your life a living hell..

Remember this case?
http://articles.cnn.com/1999-05-07/entertainment/9905_07_talk.show.slaying.03_1_scott-amedure-jonathan-schmitz-amedure-family?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 12:37am

Confused...yeeeaaa....think I recall reading such an incident. Not sure how much outrage that generated, but that almost fits a 'bullying'-related charge, it would seem.
Even though all parties involved were college-age, no way a 'slap on the wrist' would be appropriate, there. That just fosters more of the same stupidity.

It was a pretty huge story, Pa.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 1:15am

It was a pretty huge story, Pa.

WinkOf course - I recall that one. Why didn't you say so in the first place?
Now, as anyone can read, ultimately, all hell broke loose, things have changed.
'Hate Crimes' against his classmates would indeed seemed to have been proper.
In this case, everyone knew each other, were young and under-schooled (in general, proper 'life' behaviors). Granted, they were all probably about the same age and had no more of a psychological background than whatever their families and life had drilled into them to date, but there remains no excuse for that exercise in stupidity and hate. It was a hateful effort. 
Now, back to out little AussieIdjits.
By age alone, they are not 'children'. They are not 'in school' (yet). They had no apparent 'leash', guidance, or oversight. They were allowed (and initially 'backed') to operate as irresponsibly as they did. To date, there seems no real apology, although an 'obligatory' (yet, very pathetic) apology has been issued to 'save face' and possible further loss of revenue. Yet, as we all know, it takes all kinds of idiots to make up this big ol'goofy world, so they (unfortunately) have supporters!
This is not a 'Hate Crime'.
This is a 'Crime of Stupidity, Thoughtlessness, Insensitivity, and Basic Human Abandon'.
This is a failure of proper parenting, basic upbringing, in conjunction with a lack of maturity.
Where do *I* expect to see either of the 'personalities' end up?
PawPrediction: Within five (5) years:
She'll be a Nun or a Whore - I dunno, maybe both, but she will only succeed at one profession.
He'll be a drunk in a gutter, somewhere near Oslo, Norway, where nobody knows, much less understands, him.
The radio station will adopt an obscure outback A.M. 'Christian Rock'-format, and may still employ a certain 'Nun'.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 1:26am

I don't know what post you were reading, but there was no "teary eyed-b.s." nor any "sappy 'turn the other cheek'-silliness" in mine.

I just made what I feel is a realistic assessment of what I believe happened. I don't think they were rubbing their hands together in glee over the prospect of some disaster happening as a result of their prank. I think they just engaged in the kind of immature antics their listeners ask for.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 9:44pm
WinkTo quote myself:

...This is not a 'Hate Crime'.
This is a 'Crime of Stupidity, Thoughtlessness, Insensitivity, and Basic Human Abandon'.
This is a failure of proper parenting, basic upbringing, in conjunction with a lack of maturity.
Where do *I* expect to see either of the 'personalities' end up?
PawPrediction: Within five (5) years:
She'll be a Nun or a Whore - I dunno, maybe both, but she will only succeed at one profession.
He'll be a drunk in a gutter, somewhere near Oslo, Norway, where nobody knows, much less understands, him.
The radio station will adopt an obscure outback A.M. 'Christian Rock'-format, and may still employ a certain 'Nun'.
Well...whadda ya know - I *could* be slightly 'off'.
Current reports have the police wanting to have the BOTH DJ's turn themselves in..."...for a chat..." (yeaaa, right, fine!).
Radio station claims both are currently "very disturbed and receiving councelling and seperate, unnamed facilities". They say the girl is basically a mental 'train wreck'. They say both want to make public speeches, but they are not currently being allowed to do so. They were clearly 'mental midgets' to begin with.
The station has also suspended all advertising, at this time. Really? Did THEY suspend all advertising?
And Scotland Yard (U.K.) is now requesting involvement.
This is all a precursor to the inevitable future predicted by, well, Embarrassed'Yours Truly', doncha know...
Now, ol'Mule's initial 'hopes' for the culprits were, well...actually very generous...yet, I believe, very unlikely.
The idiots' moves were genuine 'career killers'.
It ain't over until 'The Fat Lady Sings'...and, well...she can't.
She's dead, too.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 2:10pm
I don't think suicide, especially of some private citizen, is a public matter.  But seeing as how the DJs have now been fired and also apologized for their prank, and seeing as how the whole thing's become a public matter, I think the prior mental state of the suicider should be looked at.  That is, did this prank actually cause the suicide?  Did it even trigger it?  Perhaps the latter, but I doubt that this silly prank would have actually caused a normal person to commit suicide. 

This info may never come out out unless there's a lawsuit.  Even then, by that time, we'll probably all have lost interest.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 2:33pm

We know little-to-nothing about the nurse, much less, her family - and they appear to be trying to maintain their privacy. I don't blame them at all. People seem to push the thought of 'mental instability', yet nobody has mentioned possibly 'culture' could come into play.

If you are watching the topic, information is coming out continually. This incident - the breaking of the broadcasring standard 'Do No Harm' - seems to actually be snowballing. The moves by the radio station, seemingly generous, also seem a 'day late' as they appear more to be covering their tails, pointing at each other, and sizing themselves for halos (the whole bunch of them make me sick). 

Check today's news.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic