Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have a super sparkly day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have a super sparkly day!
    Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 4:49am
I'm talking about the mom going to the princess-themed store and getting that big ol honkin pink dollhouse monstrosity for her kid, and then she brings it up to the counter and this super-flighty, waaaaaaaaaaaaay-too-into-her-job perky cashier tells her to have a super sparkly day.

I think it's a credit card commercial?

Anyway, UUUGH!!!  OH MY f**kING GOD!!!!

I've been on the cashier side of the retail counter so I am way easier to please than the average customer but after hearing "Have a super sparkly day" *giggle*!........................I would be completely and utterly inconsolable, and no longer responsible for my actions for about the next 12-15 minutes.  Just.... look out.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 5:59am
Indeed.
Crummy toy.
"Have a Super Sparkly Day!"Dead
Dumb Mom - maybe she could try and turn the box length-wise, so it will fit in the SUV? 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 7:47pm
Ermm Had a very bad dream during after-lunch 'nappytime', today. I really don't care if you like it or not, I'm gonna share it with you.
Saw myself in younger days, walking a young son of mine (one I never met until his unmarried mother dumped him at my doorstep) through a very crowded 'Toys R Us'. getting XMAS ideas.
The kid literally goes postal, screaming, crying, pointing, and demanding 'The Pink Palace', while the lil'snot bucket was holding my hand. A rather oversized version of the 'State Farm Grandma' tells me it is o.k. and I really should get him one, but there are six girls in front of him.
"You're not helping", I tell her.
"How about if I do a 'Free Lay-Away Flip'?", Grammy asks me.
Think the kid became an 'instant orphan', about the time I woke up with the dry heaves, belching yesterday's stuffed olives.
Whole damned incident is probably tied to 'bad anchovies', I dunno...

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 8:47pm
That girl at the register is going to be a psycho killer someday.

"When I was a little girl, all I ever wanted was a Ballerina Barbie. That Christmas,I raced to the tree and opened my presents...and my parents had gotten me Malibu Barbie. MA-LI-BU BAR-BIE! So I had to kill them."

Meanwhile, it's kind of shocking that doll houses are just getting more and more...repulsively 'girly'.

I remember an old Fisher Price one my mom had. It was fibre board with paper backgrounds, and honestly, it was very easily a unisex toy. No pink, nothing extremely girly. I have seen a lot of other older ones like this. It's a weird change. As the world tries to push past the gender boundries of the early 1900's, it seems the toy world is only 'extemifying' them.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 8:53pm
Actually I think the mom in the ad is a complete bitch for not thanking the cashier. It's probably her job to say "have a super sparkly day" or some sh*t. Being a sour f**king bitch to the cashier who can't help it isn't going to help anything, no one asked you to go get that princess castle at that store. Order it at home if you're going to be a bitch.

I worked retail for many years before moving up in the world. Many stores have a trained response like this. Yes, we do in fact hate anyone who says nothing, grabs their bag, and walks out. A grunt is better than nothing.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

It's a weird change. As the world tries to push past the gender boundries of the early 1900's, it seems the toy world is only 'extemifying' them.

I think women and girls prefer these sorts of gender boundaries.  They've had every chance to reject them---even been encouraged to reject them---and they just haven't.

Mareca123 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mareca123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 2:40am
I, too, have worked retail and sometimes the scripts that management comes up with for the cashiers are really just as ridiculous as "have a super sparkly day!"

The customer in the commercial is so rude! I hope the toy falls out of her car on the way home.
meecepeece View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meecepeece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 4:21am
LOL I had a malibu barbie. Wasnt she the one with the tan lines?LOL  When I was a little girl all I ever wanted was a Castle Greyskull, actually and I got one! And Skeletor and my malibu barbie got married,and lived in the house.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
If you could see the you that I see when I see you seeing me, you'd see yourself so differently, believe me-
ChrisInMI View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisInMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 7:55pm

That girl at the register is going to be a psycho killer someday.

"When I was a little girl, all I ever wanted was a Ballerina Barbie. That Christmas,I raced to the tree and opened my presents...and my parents had gotten me Malibu Barbie. MA-LI-BU BAR-BIE! So I had to kill them."

"Addams Family Values." LOVE that movie!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 9:16pm
I'm not seeing the rudeness, except that brunette that grabs a box while the blonde is pondering. I may use that "super sparkly day" in my work endeavors in the coming weeks. Maybe I'll get some Christmas tips.Big smile

Thanks for fixing my leaky faucet sir.

You're quite welcome and have a super sparkly day.Thumbs Up  
Kris L. Walker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kris L. Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 4:20pm
This commercial is a joke. I can forgive the "Super Sparkly Day" girl to an extent, but the mother is a downright b****! I swear, she acts so stuck up and simply distasteful. Last time I checked, you were supposed to be nicer to people and not act like a self righteous d*** to people. I seriously hope she loses the package at a traffic light where someone takes it right from behind her and she's not aware of it until she gets home and then out of nowhere, the cashier appears and turns her into a penny. An old rusty and musty penny, that is. 
Back from an unexpected hiatus. Time to rip ads a new one all over again.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I may use that "super sparkly day" in my work endeavors in the coming weeks. Maybe I'll get some Christmas tips.Big smile

LOL 

You'd probably have to be Hulk Hogan to pull that one off.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I may use that "super sparkly day" in my work endeavors in the coming weeks. Maybe I'll get some Christmas tips.Big smile

LOL 

You'd probably have to be Hulk Hogan to pull that one off.

ConfusedLampI dunno - THAT may be a great idea.
I have a rather brutal meeting to hold, tomorrow - that may be the *perfect* 'closing comment'!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 10:36pm
^^ Catchy, isn't it Pa. Give 'em a big smile too.Big smile 
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 1:41am
Its actuallythe music in that commercial that drives me crazy. Heck, I hear it in my mind after the damn thing is off the TV.....UGH!
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 4:18am
The mother in the commercial is the same actress as in the "insect-killer" Honey Nut Cheerios commercial.  The HNC bee is scared of her too.  And hasn't she tried to put the castle box in the back seat when it don't fit the trunk?
ambrosia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 10:17am
Have a super sparkly day.  This is nearly akin to what I am expected to say to people:  I am not exaggerating--

"Thank you so much for banking with us, I hope I have provided you with excellent service.  Our mortgage rates are as low as 2.99%.  If there is anything else I can do to help you please let me know."

To EVERYONE, verbatim.  Including 18 year olds who are coming in to throw 5.00 in their account just to keep it in the positive.  I wish corporations would realize that it is possible to provide good, sincere customer service without sounding canned and forced.
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 10:49pm
All I ever wanted for Christmas was a remote control airplane. I never got one. Santa tried a remote controlled van, but it didn't work, and had to be returned.

My sister and I adored Fischer-Price "people": We had the airport, hospital, forget what else...... sucks that they're now "supersized," but I guess that reflects the obesity epidemic LOL Yeah I know, helps prevent choking, but still.......!

We also had Barbies, and the disappointing Barbie style-head-thing, but we were highly entertained by Spirograph, plastic toy vans, paratroopers, all sorts of non-girly stuff.

As for this ad: It makes me laugh the way mom says "......okay...." but in real life, I try to laugh with the retail help. I know they're forced to say that stuff, and usually try to let them know that I can relate to dealing with the ungrateful masses. And I try to avoid being one of them!!

Ambrosia- at my last job, they tried to get us to respond to each and every phone call with, "Good whateverpartofthedayitis, Department of Pain and Misery, Christine speaking, may I help you??" There was no other way to say this except extra-sarcastically, and we just gave up after a few tries, Mayor's directive nonwithstanding.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by ambrosia ambrosia wrote:

Have a super sparkly day.  This is nearly akin to what I am expected to say to people:  I am not exaggerating--

"Thank you so much for banking with us, I hope I have provided you with excellent service.  Our mortgage rates are as low as 2.99%.  If there is anything else I can do to help you please let me know."

I hate getting those sorts of spiels.  To me, it sounds unprofessional.  When I call up, let's say Comcast, I'd rather hear "Comcast.  This is Joe.  How can I help you?".  All that sales spiel stuff makes me think I'm just gonna get a line of sales bullsh*t, and it makes it harder to think I'm gonna get actual help.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

As for this ad: It makes me laugh the way mom says "......okay...." but in real life, I try to laugh with the retail help. I know they're forced to say that stuff, and usually try to let them know that I can relate to dealing with the ungrateful masses. And I try to avoid being one of them!!

For awhile, the Dollar Tree was trying to raise money for something-or-other, and they'd ask at checkout if you wanted to donate a dollar.  If you did, they'd get on the store's PA system and announce to everyone that you just donated.  It was annoying, especially considering their loud and tinny PA system.  To make matters worse, the Dollar Tree staff then had to clap and cheer.  Horrible. 

If I felt like donating that day, I'd tell them that I'd donate only if they didn't announce it.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by ambrosia ambrosia wrote:

To EVERYONE, verbatim.  Including 18 year olds who are coming in to throw 5.00 in their account just to keep it in the positive.  I wish corporations would realize that it is possible to provide good, sincere customer service without sounding canned and forced.

You could send them an anonymous email to that effect.

Or better yet, get a couple of friends to do a parody video in which one of them recites that spiel to a teenager like you described & does it in a real "canned and forced" monotone, illustrating your point. Then post it on YouTube & anonymously email the link to their public/customer relations dept.

And make sure you use the real name of the bank in the video.

That'll get your point across, even though they'll probably just ignore it.

But you'll feel better.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
lahnnabell View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lahnnabell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

All I ever wanted for Christmas was a remote control airplane. I never got one. Santa tried a remote controlled van, but it didn't work, and had to be returned.

My sister and I adored Fischer-Price "people": We had the airport, hospital, forget what else...... sucks that they're now "supersized," but I guess that reflects the obesity epidemic LOL Yeah I know, helps prevent choking, but still.......!

We also had Barbies, and the disappointing Barbie style-head-thing, but we were highly entertained by Spirograph, plastic toy vans, paratroopers, all sorts of non-girly stuff.

Barbie-style-head-thing, haha.

I wanted an Easy-Bake Oven like no other.  Then I used my friend's at her house and was very underwhelmed by it all.  Was much better to just help my mom bake way yummier things in our actual oven.

I did have Dreamphone and Mall Madness though.  Even though Mall Madness took about a year to set up.  I also played with a lot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stuff.
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

It's a weird change. As the world tries to push past the gender boundries of the early 1900's, it seems the toy world is only 'extemifying' them.

I think women and girls prefer these sorts of gender boundaries.  They've had every chance to reject them---even been encouraged to reject them---and they just haven't.

I do not and did not. I liked playing with action figures and diapering stuff animals. Playing with toy cars. I kind of was all over when it came to this sort of thing but I HATE PINK.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 1:31am
I had a couple of THINGMAKER sets when I was a kid.

Had the Fright Factory...

and the Creepy Crawlers...

My sister had the Fun Flowers set...

And later, I got the Incredible Edbles...

And yes, you could actually eat the stuff you made!!!

I played with those things quite a bit, too!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 1:35am
Man, i would have rather had the creepy crawlers... I have a cute collection of live spiders. i want people to send me more.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic