Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kmart 'The Lights'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote strifeknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kmart 'The Lights'
    Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 3:50pm

The pain, the pain, the pain, the pain,
the pain, the pain, the pain, the pain.

This Kmart commercial, and a couple of others featuring the same song, have played around a dozen times over just the last 30 minutes on the channel I have on. It's played on average three times per commercial break. It's going to be a brutal holiday season.

Remember the cool Christmas commercials of yesteryear, like polar bears drinking bottles of Coke and Santa Claus sledding on a Norelco shaver? This is what today's kids will be reminiscing about in 30 years. I feel sorry for them.

Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 6:32pm
You know I have yet (knock on wood) to see any of these stupid slow motion face KMart commercials airing in my area ever since I saw a thread on one of them on here.  I should thank my lucky stars because they're friggin' annoying.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 2:34am
Originally posted by strifeknot strifeknot wrote:

This Kmart commercial, and a couple of others featuring the same song, have played around a dozen times over just the last 30 minutes on the channel I have on. It's played on average three times per commercial break. It's going to be a brutal holiday season

We must have had it on the same channel. That commercial was LITERALLY on every other commercial. Like, they'd have Kmart, then Crunchy Nut, then Kmart, then Miller 64, then Kmart AGAIN.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 3:30am
Just saw this one today, too.  Wanted to look for it, but I couldn't remember the "Bogo" thing.

What's the guy so excited about?  Those sweatshirts?  Why?  The only thing I can think is that his kids gave him that stuff, so he has to pretend to be excited about it.

Or maybe he's excited by "the lights the lights the lights the lights", in which case, he's probably moderately retarded.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Just saw this one today, too.  Wanted to look for it, but I couldn't remember the "Bogo" thing.

What's the guy so excited about?  Those sweatshirts?  Why?  The only thing I can think is that his kids gave him that stuff, so he has to pretend to be excited about it.

Or maybe he's excited by "the lights the lights the lights the lights", in which case, he's probably moderately retarded.

My kids are Oregon Duck fans. I have been given many Duck items of clothing. I really don't care that much but most of the clothing is good quality so I wear it. I wonder why so many U.S. commercials are using Austrailian vocals and pitch-persons. Do they work far below union wage? Do they sound more friendly and not so abraisive and loud as traditional U.S. pitchpersons? One more thing about this commercial. I thought BOGO meant 'Buy One Get One' which I originally thought was K-Mart's offer. After viewing for about the third time I realised it was "buy one get second at 50% off". Deceptive marketing K-Mart. Business as usual!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 9:35pm
Not getting the "lights" part.Confused Kmart doesn't carry diddly NFL apparel. They carried 3 or 4 "popular" teams stuff and that's it. Kmart closed all their stores close by anyway.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 2:42am
The lights, the lights, the lights, that light, the lights, the lights......... This profound thought provoking piece of musical genius needs a catchy repetitive chourus. Did some "song writer" actually get paid for this? My other question is why the trend using people with Austrailian accents in commercials? Do they work cheaper? Perhaps a few years ago when you could pay them in $.66 Austrailian dollars. Because of their cheerful sound? I don't know. I have written alternative lyrics. "The lightMUTE!!! Authorized substitute: Cinderblock through TV!  
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 3:29am
OMG I am SICK of these commercials, they should change "the lights,the lights,the lights,the lights" with "The lice, the lice,the lice,the lice" cause that's all I think of when I think of these commercial is tiny bugs, digging in your hair and gnawing on your brain.

I never had experience with lice because I wash my hair daily.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Not getting the "lights" part.Confused Kmart doesn't carry diddly NFL apparel. They carried 3 or 4 "popular" teams stuff and that's it. Kmart closed all their stores close by anyway.

They closed all the semi-profitable stores and laid off thousands so they could afford these horrible holiday ads. Just so they can make a profit on Christmas sales and then close/liquidate the whole lot.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

OMG I am SICK of these commercials, they should change "the lights,the lights,the lights,the lights" with "The lice, the lice,the lice,the lice" cause that's all I think of when I think of these commercial is tiny bugs, digging in your hair and gnawing on your brain.

Now that you mention it, lice-y is kind of how I feel by the time I exit the K-Mart near me.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 8:16pm
Kmart in the show Revolution "The lights, the lights, the lights, hey! who turned out the lights?"LOL
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Kmart in the show Revolution "The lights, the lights, the lights, hey! who turned out the lights?"LOL

Worst of the worst?

We have two big billboards in our store with this people mid-O-face...It's disgusting.

I'm contemplating buying some darts.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 1:16am
Darts are not very expensive and can be very satisfying!
TheNilvarg View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNilvarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 7:46pm
How is this considered music?! The whole "indie" genre should just be obliterated, so we can stop hearing trash like this.
nelnikson View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelnikson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:07pm
OMG I hate it too - now that it's supposedly the holiday season, they play it all the time.  GRRR!!  I want to throw a brick through my TV! Angry
Pervis View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pervis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 5:46am
They just started running these ads in our area...they are painful to watch.  Fortunately we just got a DVR cable box for the bedroom so the two viewing places of TV are now able to fast forward through commercials.
Cathode_Ray View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathode_Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 9:33pm
I may be wrong, but I think they're saying "Delights, delights, delights . . .". Either way, it's still annoying.
"Some things are unexplained, until they are." - Dr. Walter Bishop
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 2:17am
I found the song didn't take me long, it's nothing special like most of today's "music" ugh. Unhappy

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Pervis Pervis wrote:

They just started running these ads in our area...they are painful to watch.  Fortunately we just got a DVR cable box for the bedroom so the two viewing places of TV are now able to fast forward through commercials.

Yeah I saw THREE different slow motion jackasses with the same stupid song over the course of a 2 hour movie on Saturday, none of them being the douchebag in the video at the top of the thread.
veebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 3:52am
Cannot stand this commercial! Yesterday it came on every commercial break for a half hour. Slow-mo creeps me out anyways (ever have those dreams where all you do is run from something in slow motion?). Its not just that horrible track, which I can't even call music. Its that creepy slow motion. As I type this, it is on! Argh!
Mareca123 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mareca123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 3:57am
Thank you thank you thank you!   That commercial is painful to hear and watch.
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 4:50am
The latest ones have been advertising "doorbuster" items. (Target and Kmart).

Is it really a good idea to call it a "doorbuster sale", since a few years ago when a mob of idiots actually busted down a door and trampled an employee to death on black Friday?

Are consumers really this stupid?

Onlyhatenthestupid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onlyhatenthestupid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 7:29am
The Lights(can you say annoying) as a child we used to have saying about K-MART "K-MART fall apart" I believe it's as true today as it was then.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 8:32am
Ugh, not only is this commercial becoming more frequent, but they're using different people too, so your brain can't adjust and just passively ignore them anymore.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 8:52am
Alright, I've pretty much confirmed they're on EVERY commercial break (and you're lucky if you only get one). It's like Chinese water torture - when you program cuts to commercials you know one's coming,  you just don't know when.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic