Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Internet Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harbor Freight Tools ad flyer parody.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harbor Freight Tools ad flyer parody.
    Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 2:06am

Since we don't have an "Ad Parody" forum & since I did get this emailed to me ON THE INTERNET & since I've never posted anything in this forum before....

For all you "real men" & "tool guys" who are familiar with Harbor Freight Tools & like me, probly get their ads in the mail all the time, you might find this quite amusing.

I did.

Tongue

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 1:39pm
LOL  Someone put a lot of work into that.  Good stuff.  Harbor Freight does have some seriously junky products.  Some good stuff, though, too.  The one I've gone to reminded me of the Dollar Tree of hardware stores.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 3:37pm
Yeah, I bought a cheap reciprocating saw from them that, even though I haven't used it much has been pretty good. I've heard their small electric pumps are garbage, though. I was gonna buy a timing light from them last week, but the customer reviews on the website were so bad I just forgot about it.

Good place to buy stuff like drill bits & hand tools, though.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 3:56pm
The last thing I got there was this LED light headband.  The LED lights still work just fine.  The headband, however, stretched out after a few uses, rendering its hands-free selling point irrelevant.  I think it was like $4.99 or something.

I got my reciprocating saw at Kragen's for $20.  Works fine.  The car buffer I got there, though, totally sucked.  I returned it.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The last thing I got there was this LED light headband.  The LED lights still work just fine.  The headband, however, stretched out after a few uses, rendering its hands-free selling point irrelevant.  I think it was like $4.99 or something.

You must not have really looked at that parody ad very closely....

LOLLOLLOL Sorry, I couldn't resist LOLLOLLOL

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 4:27pm

Hey, those were kinda cool when they first came out.  A friend of mine got the baseball cap version of the same thing.  LOL

These things are like many "As seen on TV" products.  Kinda cool in concept, but they end up being kinda useless, and you never remember where you put them anyway.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 4:42pm
Some of my "hickbilly" friends when I was a teenager back in the 70's, used to use a low-tech version of them that used a regular bulb & reflector on the headband, which had to be hooked up to one of those huge square batteries. They'd use them when they were out hunting, but also to spot deer from the car out in the woods along these dark remote highways outside of the town we lived in.

Occasionally on week nights when we had nothing better to do, we'd pile into one of their (or their mom's) cars & go out "deer spottin".

Mainly it was just an excuse to go out cruising around & smoke weed.

A couple of times, we used them to illuminate one of our bare asses as we passed somebody, honked the horn & mooned them.

Fun times.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Occasionally on week nights when we had nothing better to do, we'd pile into one of their (or their mom's) cars & go out "deer spottin".

Mainly it was just an excuse to go out cruising around & smoke weed.

We used to do the same thing---'cept we'd go to the Port of Elizabeth to spot rats.  Same excuse.

Gas back then was 36 cents/gallon and pot was 20 bucks for "half an O-Z".

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 5:04pm
20 bucks for half an oz.?????? Shocked

We used to get a whole oz. for that much. Or ¾ of one sometimes.

Back when I first started, you could get a 1 oz "lid" for 15 bucks.

That's what we called it... a lid. Measured them by how many "fingers" high the weed was when rolled up in the baggie.

A good lid was four fingers. An awesome one was five fingers. Usually, we got about 3½ fingers.

"Hey man, so & so has nice, fat four finger lids for 15 bucks!!!! Let's go over there after school & score one!!!"

By the time I was in 11th or 12th grade, they were 20 bucks.

Nowadays for 20 bucks you get what we used to call a nickel bag.

Of course, I never get any weed at all anymore, because I don't know anyone who sells it.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 5:10pm

I think you're right there.  $20 an ounce.  It's been so many years, and when I was typing that post, I was trying to remember what I use to pay.  I thought "Was that per ounce or half-ounce?"  $20 an ounce just seemed toooooo preposterous.  But yeah, I think you're right.

Of course it wasn't as good as the expensive stuff that came later.  When I stopped smoking pot, people would try to entice me by saying "But this stuff is so good!".  They didn't quite understand that "so good" was exactly what I didn't want.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 5:24pm
I don't know how much better the weed is nowadays because as an adult, I mostly always just smoked the "average" stuff. A couple of times I did get ahold of some of that "one toke" sh*t that knocked my ass on the couch for about three hours before I even wanted to venture standing up again.

But when I was a kid, we used to always get reeeaaalllly stoned. And there seemed to be more of a "mental" high along with the physical high, as opposed to the modern stuff which seems to be mostly a physical high with less of the mind buzz.

I recall getting stoned at night when I was a teenager & seeing hallucinations.

C'mon, man!
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 5:28pm
Nah, weed is known as a "mental high" drug, you are right, Jimbo. People have to generally be taught how to appreciate it. I think it's the same today, though, that's just me.

If you were hallucinating... it was probably not pure weed, though, don't you think? Weed's not known for that effect... LOL
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by eribean eribean wrote:

Nah, weed is known as a "mental high" drug, you are right, Jimbo. People have to generally be taught how to appreciate it. I think it's the same today, though, that's just me.

If you were hallucinating... it was probably not pure weed, though, don't you think? Weed's not known for that effect... LOL

Well fwiu, different kinds of weed give different kinds of highs.

We used to get most of our weed from Columbia, Jamaica & Mexico back in the 70's. Nowadays it comes from grow houses or somewhere. But it seemed to give a better head buzz than what I smoked later on.

And also, by "hallucinations", I meant visual anomolies like "flickering" around the periphery of my vision or if I stared at something in the dark, I might see cartoonish looking visions, etc., rather than actually seeing objects & stuff that weren't really there. 

I don't think our weed back in the 70's was laced with any hallucinogens we didn't put in there ourselves. Which we did on a few occasions. Magic mushrooms &/or mescaline to be precise.

The 70's were fun.

C'mon, man!
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 5:42pm
I used to tell my aunt before she died that I wished I'd been born in 1950 because I would have been a great hippie.

She agreed.
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 5:47pm
We used to occasionally get "treated" pot.  I never questioned what it was treated with, just that it was reeeally good.  God, who knows?  Coulda been heroin.  Yikes. 

Then there were THC pills.  Holy sh*t!!  And Angel Dust.  Yikes.  We'd try almost anything!  Was this "youth" or was it simply "the 70s"?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by eribean eribean wrote:

I used to tell my aunt before she died that I wished I'd been born in 1950 because I would have been a great hippie.

She agreed.

There was this really good documentary on VH1 (I think) a few years back.  It was called "The Drug Years".  Four parts.  Part 2 was called "Feed Your Head".  Part 3 was called "Teenage Wasteland".  The difference between those two parts was the difference between "hippies" and "stoners".  In those two episodes, you saw the transition from drug usage being a sort of revolutionary act meant for expanding one's consciousness in the 60s, to being simply about "getting wasted" by the 70s.

Very good documentary.  I recommend it.  Plus, there's a lotta good music in it.

Here's a promo.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 7:42pm
Here's an animated clip from a favorite midnight movie my stoner buddy & I used to go to back then.

The movie was a "potumentary" (my term) called "Acapulco Gold" that looked at weed growing & smugggling in the US from a user's perspective. Pretty cool.

Here's a clip from the movie. Opening sequence, then a part from later on.

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 9:29pm
Laser-guided paint brush
Rickety aluminum green house
18volt hammer
LOL 
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I got my reciprocating saw at Kragen's for $20.  Works fine.  The car buffer I got there, though, totally sucked.  I returned it.

Thor, you can use the LED light around your waist so you can find the toilet at night to pee.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:23pm
^

I have a nightlight in the bathroom for that.  LOL

It's a blue LED thing and I got it years ago for a few bucks at Walmart.  I'm surprised it still works.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 12:59am
I have these bluish green nightlights that aren't LED's, but I'm not sure exactly what they are. I think there's some kind of chemical or substance in them that reacts when exposed to electricity or something.

I dunno, but they're pretty cool. Literally. Zero heat & they glow a nice cool blue green.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Laser-guided paint brush
Rickety aluminum green house
18volt hammer
LOL 

I was thinking of you when I posted that, Tiz.

Figured you'd get a kick out of it.

I liked the manual chain saw & the hydraulic nail unbender.

And of course the multimeter with gaydar!!!

"Some kind of gauge."

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 3:14am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I have these bluish green nightlights that aren't LED's, but I'm not sure exactly what they are. I think there's some kind of chemical or substance in them that reacts when exposed to electricity or something.

I dunno, but they're pretty cool. Literally. Zero heat & they glow a nice cool blue green.

Yeah, mine just sorta glows, too.  And I can't see the LED bulb.  But it's somewhere in there.  The brand is Leviton.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 4:33am
The ones I have are very similar to this.

They look like little flat panel TV sets that plug into a wall outlet.

No bulb whatsoever & they glow a soft, cool bluish green.

Wish I could find them.

The ones in this picture are made by Leviton also.

I don't know if the ones I have are, though.

C'mon, man!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 9:59pm
The one that got me really laughing is the light umbrella that said "become the next viral video sensation as dozens of beachgoers videotape you chasing an elusive parasol endlessly down the sand like a jackass"LOL

Of course the LOL worthy picture helped it become funnier. LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic