Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lays Flavor Contest..."Do Us a Flavor"...Wow...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lays Flavor Contest..."Do Us a Flavor"...Wow...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bnabreaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lays Flavor Contest..."Do Us a Flavor"...Wow...
    Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 3:34am
First of all, I'd just like to say that I've been lurking this message board for a long time.  I really enjoy reading it.  It has been an important outlet for me to let off some steam about the ridiculous marketing schemes I see on TV.  Perhaps I'm taking these commercials too seriously...they are just commercials after all...and perhaps the fact that I let a freaking commercial make me angry is a sign of an issue with me.  Who knows. 

Anyway, with all that out of the way, hopefully I'm not making a duplicate thread here.  One of the more recent commercials that really gets under my skin (and again, it's probably ridiculous that it does, but that's another issue), is this new Lay's potato chip commercial featuring Eva Longoria and Chef Michael Symon. 

Here it is, I apologize in advance if you haven't seen it:

I just don't understand what's going on here.  First there is the tag line "do us a flavor".  How does that make any sense at all?  Just because one word rhymes with another word doesn't mean it can take the other word's place in any sentence and make sense.  Then there is the fact that some of the flavors these weirdos spew out of their pie holes are just so insane.  Hey.  Douche bag wearing a fedora.  Just because you like lattes doesn't mean that flavor would work as a potato chip.  What are you, five years old?  Mommy can I have some chocolate chips in my macaroni and cheese?  Jesus...Forgive me, I'm getting off track. 

The part that irritates me the most however is at the very end where there are all these random people sitting around...okay, that's somewhat normal I guess...but then wait...wha...what the hell is happening?  They all get up at the same time and yell "CREAMPIE!" and start doing some weird little dance. 

First of all, why would all of those people just happen to have a pie with them at their table. 

Second of all, why the hell do they think that Creampie flavor would be a good flavor for a potato chip.  Do they have no taste buds? Are they able to distinguish salty from sweet?  It blows my mind. 

Third, what the hell is up with the dance itself?  It's a horrible half-assed dance, but moreover, it's just completely random.  That means these weirdos actually PLANNED this whole event.  What kind of freaks get make a plan to get fifty friends together to pretend to throw a creampie and do a ten second dance?  Is that really what gets them excited?  What happens after they are done with their lame dance?  Do they just give their pies to some homeless people and go their separate ways?  How awkward is that. 

Fourth, Eva and Michael appear to be just wandering aimlessly around a random city, so how did this stupid creampie flash mob know that they were going to pass right by the little park that they decided to gather at?  Were they just planning on winging it, hoping that some passers by would be asking a question outloud to whoever was in earshot of them, to which "creampie" just happened to be the right answer? 

And finally (I think), Michael Symon, are you not aware of the most elementary Physics?  If there are fifty people standing between ten and one hundred feet away from you that are about to throw a pie (or anything for that matter) at you, DUCKING WILL NOT SAVE YOU FROM GETTING HIT.  He acts like all of those pies are just going to go in a straight line until they hit the first object they come to.  It just makes no sense.  This whole commercial makes no sense.  This world makes no sense! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

*sigh*...Good Lord guys.  I have issues.  But it was therapeutic getting this all out.  Hopefully I'm not the only one that yells at the TV every time this comes on.

Sponsored Links

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 4:15am
The idea of caramel-macchiato-with-whip flavored potato chips actually makes me a little nauseous... The cream pie, too. 
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 4:33am
Welcome, bnabreaker.  Looks like this is the forum for you.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 4:42am
Nothing wrong with being angered & annoyed by TV commercials.
They insult your intelligence & portray the most irritating people imaginable.

Just shows you have a brain & some taste.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:14am
Originally posted by bnabreaker bnabreaker wrote:

*sigh*...Good Lord guys.  I have issues.  But it was therapeutic getting this all out.  Hopefully I'm not the only one that yells at the TV every time this comes on.

Just don't throw pies at your TV....  LOL

Originally posted by Eva Longoria and Chef Michael Symon Eva Longoria and Chef Michael Symon wrote:

Do us...  (blah blah blah)

You can share your Lays with me Eva, but he has to go....  LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:27am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Originally posted by bnabreaker bnabreaker wrote:

Just don't throw pies at your TV....  LOL

Pies, hell.

Just don't go "Elvis" on your TV....

Shocked

Tempting as it may be!!!

LOL

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 4:10pm
Eva is quite pretty. I had no idea who she was and had never seen her before. I researched the Lays commercial and discovered she was a desperate housewife. That explained why I had never seen her.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:11pm
I'm waiting for Lays to utilize its name to its full potential. "Eat these chips, get more Lays." Short of that, everything is a disappointment.
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by eribean eribean wrote:

I'm waiting for Lays to utilize its name to its full potential. "Eat these chips, get more Lays." Short of that, everything is a disappointment.
with the new bag design that doubles as a condom!

Warning: please clean out all crumbs before usin the bag as a condom. Every get a sharp edge of a chip poked into your gum?
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:30pm
That cream pie dance is the worst sh*t I have ever seen. They're all like OH SNAP I'M GONNA SMASH YOU WITH IT....naw let me just start doing some dorky as f**k dance that Steve Urkel wouldn't be caught dead doing. Like seriously, what the f**k, WHAT THE f**k LAYS?

I entered this contest. It seems that people don't f**king get how it works. If you pick "mac and cheese" or some generic flavor YOU AREN'T GOING TO WIN. You have to have a unique flavor and catchy name. There has to be 50 million people who entered mac and cheese, do you think you're all going to win or something?!

I entered "Guac Tacs". Taco and guacamole flavored chips. It's unique, and it sounds catchy. Will they pick it? Hell no. They're going to go for some sh*t like they did in the past like "late night kebob" (wtf is that even?) and "cajun squirrel".
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:01pm
Why do they have to go the ethnic stereotype route and have the Latina lady go "Mexican spaghetti"? And what's with the sweet flavors like Bear Claw and the afore-mentioned creampie?

Ugh - so many things wrong here my mind could explode!
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I entered "Guac Tacs". Taco and guacamole flavored chips. It's unique, and it sounds catchy. Will they pick it? Hell no. They're going to go for some sh*t like they did in the past like "late night kebob" (wtf is that even?) and "cajun squirrel".

I'm a picky eater and won't touch flavored chips, but that's such a good idea I'd probably eat those.

As for the "late night kebab," well... I could explain, but there might be children reading. ;)
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."
lancer8869 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancer8869 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:35am

I'm a picky eater and won't touch flavored chips, but that's such a good idea I'd probably eat those.

As for the "late night kebab," well... I could explain, but there might be children reading. ;)

I'm the same, I LOVE the original lays and eat them pretty regularly with my lunch.

On topic, the OP got my heart strings with that epic-quality first post because this commercial makes me want to snort fire ants just to numb the pain from watching it. The stupid f**king ideas they mention, like dessert flavored chips, trigger my gag reflex.

BTW, the Guac Tacs is a pretty good idea in my opinion. Sounds like something I'd scarf down while binge drinking.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:01am

I entered this contest. It seems that people don't f**king get how it works. If you pick "mac and cheese" or some generic flavor YOU AREN'T GOING TO WIN. You have to have a unique flavor and catchy name. There has to be 50 million people who entered mac and cheese, do you think you're all going to win or something?!

If you want to submit this one, be my guest (I have no luck with contests)

Made with Bhut Jolokia, or the Ghost Pepper.  Called the "Caspar Gasper"  LOL or  "5 Alarm Tinglers"

(It's the hottest pepper in the world.... Wink)
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:37am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Made with Bhut Jolokia, or the Ghost Pepper.  Called the "Caspar Gasper"  LOL or  "5 Alarm Tinglers"

(It's the hottest pepper in the world.... Wink)

I've had beef jerky made with ghost peppers...awesome stuff. I'd certainly try a chip made with them...
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:37pm
Mmm...these commercials are mildly annoying but pale in comparison to that *other* Lay's commercial... Wink
+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:28pm
Since Desperate Housewives has been over for a year or so, Eva Longoria must be needing to pick up the slack for keeping her face out there (literally, that camera is close to climbing up her nostril) and making some pocket change.

I know salty/savory is a current trend, and odd food combos, but every one of the suggestions in this ad would make me barf.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by lancer8869 lancer8869 wrote:

BTW, the Guac Tacs is a pretty good idea in my opinion. Sounds like something I'd scarf down while binge drinking.

LOL
Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:32pm
I looked into this. I thought it was a submit your flavor idea (like the commercial led you to believe)

turns out it's some stupid facebook game where the "winner" is apparently chosen at random.
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:35pm
Squirrel Nut Lays

Beetle Juice Lays

Toxic Waste Lays

I hope I win guys
zfiles View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zfiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:59pm

Dumb a** dancing seems to be the cornerstone of commercials these days. 

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 12:02am

Squirrel Nut Lays

Beetle Juice Lays

Toxic Waste Lays

I hope I win guys

LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 4:46am

Squirrel Nut Lays

Beetle Juice Lays

Toxic Waste Lays

I hope I win guys

I'd take the money, but that's just me....  LOL
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 5:14am
If I was offered a million bucks for suggesting Squirrel Nut Lays, I would be taking that. Nevermind positive contributions to the world. You get chips made of squirrel nuts. Or squirrels' nuts. Or something.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 3:37pm
Even though they claim voting doesn't matter at all....I call BS.

Guac Tacs....come get you some
https://apps.facebook.com/dousaflavor/?fid=5b93e2d0-3f4d-1030-b471-005056b90041
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic