Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dollar Tree Casa Mia "Parmesan"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dollar Tree Casa Mia "Parmesan"
    Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 8:50pm
This is akin to what I was saying in the Burger King Soft-Serve thread (about the absence of the words "ice cream" in their advertising of the product).

I got this 8oz container of what I assumed to be Parmesan cheese at the Dollar Tree the other day.  In fact, I got two as it looked to be a great bargain and it was in a big ol' display of its own.  It resembles the Kraft Parmesan Cheese container that's sold in supermarkets.  The brand name is Casa Mia.

Well, I used some and found it to taste nothing like Parmesan cheese at all.  Almost flavorless, and more powdery.

Alas, I looked at the ingredients and discovered that instead of Parmesan cheese listed as its first ingredient, the first ingredient is "cheese whey and modified food starch".  Then, I noticed that it's not even called Parmesan Cheese.  It's called Parmesan "Topping".

Anyway, if you shop at the Dollar Tree (Jimbo?), don't get taken in with this.  They have a 3oz container of Parmesan cheese that actually is Parmesan cheese.  Get that, instead.

Sponsored Links

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 11:22pm
Dead
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 1:22am
I get my grated Parmesan at Aldi.

Unless it's on sale somewhere else.

You should use the Dollar Tree stuff as an extender for your real grated cheese.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 2:26am
I prefer grated Romano cheese, but it's difficult to find here (I usually get a few containers of freshly grated Romano from Sprouts when I'm in that area).

I'll use the Casa Mia crap as filler for meatballs or to thicken spaghetti sauce.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 3:13am
I've bought something else by Casa Mia, but I forget what.

Must've been the same stuff. Come to think of it, I believe it was. Didn't buy it at DT though.

I Googled "casa mia", but all I came up with are various privately owned restaurants.

I also Googled "casa mia parmesan topping" & got your post as the second hit.

They must be out of business & DT is just selling off the remaining inventory.

I don't think they sell it at DT around here.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 4:28am
I could've told you that.  I wanted to post a picture of it but couldn't find one.

It's distributed by JVM Sales in Linden, NJ.  But when I Google images of that, I come up with pics of another brand of actual grated cheese---Milano brand.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 6:07pm
I learned my lesson long ago to use caution at Dollar Tree. I will only purchase a quantity of 1 until I have tried the product. The same with store vs name brands. Overall I think I have found more winners than losers. Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Down
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Chief Redfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 8:07pm
I bought this by mistake and it was awful as a pasta topping (sawdust like).   I read that some folks used it in certain recipes and it actually proved useful in a couple of dishes I created. I went to use it today and 2/3's of the jar contents were a clump of black/green mold. This is strange considering it has a September expiration date and it has been kept in a new, very cold refrigerator. Based on this problem I would never buy again.     [:x]
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 8:30pm

^  Maybe it works as a thickening agent.  Not the black/green moldy stuff, though.  LOL

By the way, did you do a search on the product, and come up with this site? 

And Jimbo, it's still on the shelves, so I don't think it's a matter of selling off the product.  Also, I see it's available on eBay at $7 for a 16oz container.  What the...?  That means that the 8oz container is "worth" $3.50.  Hardly!

I don't know what the selling point is for a "parmesan topping".  Maybe it's lower in fat.  Still, you use so little of the real stuff that I can't see that fat content would be that much of a concern to begin with.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 9:25pm

The Dollar Trees around here sell 'Colona Parmesan' - it is exactly the same as what you describe.
Terrible.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

The Dollar Trees around here sell 'Colona Parmesan' - it is exactly the same as what you describe.

Terrible.

Mmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Colon cheese!!!!!

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:19pm

Terrible.

I get that from the Dollar Tree.  It's not the same.  It's cheese, not "cheese topping".  Cheese whey is not an ingredient, let alone the first one.  The ingredients are typical---cow's milk and cheese culture leading the list.  It may not be the best parmesan, but it's cheese.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Terrible.

Mmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Colon cheese!!!!!

FWIW, it's actually "Colonna".

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Does that make it less sh*tty or more sh*tty?

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:24pm

^for a dollar, I sure didn't check the ingredients - just needed some friggin' cheese for spaghetti one night - and it barely worked. Tastes and looks like ground-up toenails.

(reminder to self: go get some real parmesan cheese)
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:25pm

Does that make it less sh*tty or more sh*tty?

I'm not the one you should ask.  I might be biased.  It's almost the name of the town I grew up in.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:29pm

^for a dollar, I sure didn't check the ingredients - just needed some friggin' cheese for spaghetti one night - and it barely worked. Tastes and looks like ground-up toenails.

(reminder to self: go get some real parmesan cheese)

To me, it's as good as Kraft.  That's not saying much, but Kraft is about the best we get around here.  It's not like there's a wealth of Italian delis (or Italians, for that matter) around here.  In fact, there's none.  There used to be one in the rich area.  It was owned and operated by Chinese people.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:38pm

Terrible.

Mmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Colon cheese!!!!!

(Reminder to self: Thor's XMAS present:http: //timmarks.com/blog/543/  )

In this case, screw the spelling.
Again, for a dollar botte of ground-up toenails, I decided to skip the spell/eye check. Just got to remember to toss it - espeially now that every time I will look at it going forward, I won't be able to get the ol'Mule's 'Colon Cheese' naming and the mental pictures of what that must be out of my mind...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:47pm

"Stop correcting people"???

Jeez, Pa, if I had to correct all your spelling errors, it'd be a full-time job.  And then I'd have to get a second job just trying to figure out what the hell half of it means.  LOLWink

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:03pm

Just got to remember to toss it

Just make sure to recycle the plastic container rather than just chucking it in the trash!!!

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:20pm

Just got to remember to toss it

Just make sure to recycle the plastic container rather than just chucking it in the trash!!!

WinkAlways.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:27pm

"Stop correcting people"???

Jeez, Pa, if I had to correct all your spelling errors, it'd be a full-time job.  And then I'd have to get a second job just trying to figure out what the hell half of it means.  LOLWink

ShockedYou HATE ME! Why do you always pick on me? I'm pretty sure I'm about to go all bipolar on yo'ass and start 'typing in tongues in no certain direction'! ("what's new about that, PaW?")WinkLOL
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:33pm
*dyes hair blonde and puts on some heavy mascara*

LEAVE PAW ALONE! -crying-
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

*dyes hair blonde and puts on some heavy mascara*

LEAVE PAW ALONE! -crying-
LOLPLEASE make the video & post to SpewTube - be sure and wear stocking mask & hat! 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 9:05pm
Just realized when I got some today, that I've been using that Colonna brand parmesan from Dollar Tree for quite awhile.

Not bad stuff.

Helluva lot better than that Casa Mia crap.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic