Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jitterbug Phone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jitterbug Phone
    Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 9:08pm
Hello, new to this forum, found it by typing in "I hate she daisy sleep bed ad" and boom, I found that many others do too!

Apologies if this one has been covered, or if its bad form to open another topic on something.  Please advise if that is an issue.

That said, I absolutely, positively cannot stand those "Jitterbug" ads.  And their marketing is so transparent.

First, someone had the bright idea, let's market a phone to senior citizens.  It's a great untapped market.  They don't bother to talk to alot of seniors who might feel insulted over a dumbed down product marketed for them.  But hey, let's call it Jitterbug.  Don't all the old people we have around now do the Jitterbug???Confused

Obviously, they found out something about marketing.  Old people don't buy things! It's a lousy market segment.  There is a reason why you don't have alot of big band radio stations anymore, who would advertise?  Most seniors are on fixed incomes.

So.....they redo the commercial with the same music, but show everyday, younger people spouting such things as "I am busy, and I don't have time for a complicated phone!", in a lame attempt to move these POS units down to a younger, more affluent audience.

The strangest things about these ads is that each of them have some woman claiming to buy one for "her parents", but the woman and her "mom" always look about the same age.  Can't they find a younger actress, or an older one?

And that music.  It makes me cringe.
Sponsored Links

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by TomAnderson TomAnderson wrote:

Old people don't buy things!

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

You're right - old people are not consumers.  Absolutely none of them have cell phones, they don't own cars - they hobble everywhere using their homemade, whittled canes, they have old rotary phones in their old, run down shacks, and they conserve money by eating the cheapest canned cat food they can buy.

Wonderful first post there, Tom!LOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 9:19pm
Welcome aboard, TomA!
Thanks for the well-thought points.
In regard to possible other threads dealing with this subject, we do have anoher one:

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
TomAnderson View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 9:24pm
I'll take your response in the humorous context I am sure it is meant for.

Seniors ARE a horrible market.  That is not a slam to seniors, my dad is the first to state that.  Many, if not most, are on fixed incomes.  They buy just what they need to get by.   My dad has done tax preparation and financial services for years...many of his clients think this service should be for free, or paid for by the government.

How much disposable income does YOUR parents or grandparents have?  Yep, I see 80 year old guys all the time buying big screen TVs.  And yeah, the Verizon cell store is just LOADED with seniors.  You know the other day I went into Best Buy to buy my laptop, and the seniors were lined up to get that hot new HP laptop with the big screen.

It's not a slam on seniors.  They just don't spend like the 25-50 year old segment.  It's marketing 101, and JITTERBUG found out the hard way, otherwise they would still be showing ads featuring real senior citizens.
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 9:36pm

I'll take your response in the humorous context I am sure it is meant for.

Seniors ARE a horrible market.  That is not a slam to seniors, my dad is the first to state that.  Many, if not most, are on fixed incomes.  They buy just what they need to get by.   My dad has done tax preparation and financial services for years...many of his clients think this service should be for free, or paid for by the government.

How much disposable income does YOUR parents or grandparents have?  Yep, I see 80 year old guys all the time buying big screen TVs.  And yeah, the Verizon cell store is just LOADED with seniors.  You know the other day I went into Best Buy to buy my laptop, and the seniors were lined up to get that hot new HP laptop with the big screen.

It's not a slam on seniors.  They just don't spend like the 25-50 year old segment.  It's marketing 101, and JITTERBUG found out the hard way, otherwise they would still be showing ads featuring real senior citizens.

Every senior in our family has a cell phone.  My FIL is a realtor, and lives on his cell.  While their income isn't what it used to be, they worked hard all their lives and don't struggle all that much.  No, we're not a wealthy family.

To add to your Marketing 101 course, seniors are living longer than ever before, dear.  They spend their money much more wisely than the younger folks, yes, but they do buy things that they like.  You may not see many seniors buying laptops because they are not familiar with the internet or computers.  Not my parents or my husband's parents, however....you can't drag my father out of Best Buy....LOL  The man has to have every gizmo imaginable.

Sweeping generalizations are mostly wrong, Tom.  That was my point, mixed with humor, yes.

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 9:44pm
My Mom is 70 and a real tight wad! LOL  The woman HATES spending money on herself or her house.   It's actually no laughing matter as the house (willed to me) is now unsellable but if I didn't laugh I'd slit my throat!  She not only won't get involved with a computer ("I don't know how to type!!") she also won't get a cell phone.  She's handicapped and has cancer.  I think she's WRONG for not getting a cell phone for her purse but I cannot talk sense to her.  Meanwhile she's always asking me if I have my cell phone when I go up the road for a quart of milk!  I hate cell phones and I hate the idiots who have to be YACKING on the damn things while shopping, even.  But they're a blessing when you get a flat tire. 
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 9:54pm
Spicy, your Mom would not get along with my Dad, who is the King of Shopping!

LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 5:15am
Another thing to consider, Tom, is that since those of us in the "baby boomer" demographic are hobbling into old fogeyland we are a big (and slow-moving) target audience.
Love endures all.
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 6:04am
Originally posted by LOL1955 LOL1955 wrote:

Another thing to consider, Tom, is that since those of us in the "baby boomer" demographic are hobbling into old fogeyland we are a big (and slow-moving) target audience.

Amen, LOL.  DH and I are the among the youngest of the boomers.  Lord willing, we have a long road ahead of us and money will have to be spent along the way.  Of course advertisers are going to be after us.Smile  We're the main group the pharmaceutical advertisers are after, unfortunately.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

My Mom is 70 and a real tight wad! LOL  The woman HATES spending money on herself or her house...

Wow.

I know you're not my sister because *MY* Mommy is older than your Mommy (so there!).
She's 77 and chugging along strong, Thank The Big Guy Above.

But other than THAT, our mothers could be each other's best friends.
I learned my frugal lifestyle from her, I think.
"find a penny, save a penny - spend it? forget it!"

Now, my Dad, on the other hand...sounds like CW's Dad...don't hand him a dollar. 
My Father has always been 'computer-brilliant'; it shows all through their home...
My Mother decided to start playing with the computer and surfing the net, catching the news, sending free email, about 2 years ago and now my parents verbally pick at each other over computer time - and that's a sight to behold! (I get to hear it over the phone, most opf the time...). In fact, *I think* I'm gonna start selling tickets to "The Geezer Games"...Wink

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 3:02pm
My mother scolded my husband for introducing my father to eBay....LOL

Mom doesn't use the internet, but she has to play a few games of freecell everyday.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by MrsHill MrsHill wrote:

My mother scolded my husband for introducing my father to eBay....LOL
LOLThat must have been a sight to behold.

An addition to the 'rules for life' (hmmm - maybe we need a thread, for this?)....

Don't smoke or drink in front of children.

Don't let kids play with dangerous toys, or gernades.

Don't cuss in front of children or others, if you want respect from anyone.

Always respect your elders.

Don't let your elders play with dangerous toys, or Ebay.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 7:02pm
...awwwwwwwwww crap.

When will the 'Jitterbug Blackberries' be coming out?!

I actually MAY have to get one Cry so it seems.

I cannot stand the 'Blackberry' because of all those TINY little keys with what appear to be hieroglyphics on them, to go with that microscopic screen! It's bad enough I've got to wear bifocals - I thank the 'Big Guy Above' I don't have Parkinson's! 

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 7:16pm
And I saw the Jitterbug phones.  They are more expensive than a lot of the other prepaid phones.  I got my new Tracfone for 17.95.
cardassian View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardassian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 1:36am
just the first wave of let's get and F***K the "Boomers"   Why I am a commercial hating terrorist along the lines of Mao Tse Sung.............especially the AARP Communist cute commercials......on the humour side how much fun did ol dancin whiteshoes have at the end of the Jitterbust commercial going into a complete reverse kneel and sniffing Grannies birth control passage before the camera cut away..............right under her dress scaring the bats hanging out in there back to the caverns in Carlsbad New Mexico!!! 
Forgive Them Father for They know not what They do
belc0011 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belc0011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 12:26am

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

You're right - old people are not consumers.  Absolutely none of them have cell phones, they don't own cars - they hobble everywhere using their homemade, whittled canes, they have old rotary phones in their old, run down shacks, and they conserve money by eating the cheapest canned cat food they can buy.

My my, such sarcasm!  I think you missed the point of his post (not to mention took his tongue in cheek statement just a BIT too literally) - old people DO buy things, but not at the rate that younger people do for the fact that they're on a fixed income.  Two of my grandparents do not own a cell pone (and never will) and the other two just bought a cell phone, and I can pretty much guarantee they'll own the things til they don't work anymore.  They're not going to be out there every year trying to find the latest and greatest cell phone with the best new gadgets.  I believe that was Tom's point.  Your description of your parents sounds more like the exception to the rule, rather than the rule.  His point that places like Verizon Wireless and Best Buy aren't packed out with old people was pretty much spot on.

Now, I do think the whole idea of Jitterbug for older people was generally a good idea (if my grandparents WERE to ever get a cell phone, I would imagine something like that would appeal to them), but I do agree it's lame to suddenly try to drastically change your demographic and pretend something like this would actually appeal to young people.
Bring me the head of a pig, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 12:17pm
Wow dude, you commented to an 8 month old dialogue... 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

The alternative would be that he starts a new thread on this commercial, and someone else points out that there already is one.  LOL

I'm no senior, but I tend to hold on to things for a long time, too.  I'm still holding onto my turntable, and I'm still holding onto my refusal to have a cell phone at all, whether it be this year's model or not.  I'm breaking down, though, and may get one.  But I still hate the idea of carrying one of these things around:

cardassian View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardassian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 2:35pm
posting late is what happens after having vodka and ripple wine with your frosted flakes for 56 yearsWink I do wonder though if the fairy dancing dude did get a free lick at the end going up the woman's dressConfused
Forgive Them Father for They know not what They do
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The alternative would be that he starts a new thread on this commercial, and someone else points out that there already is one.  LOL

I'm no senior, but I tend to hold on to things for a long time, too.  I'm still holding onto my turntable, and I'm still holding onto my refusal to have a cell phone at all, whether it be this year's model or not.  I'm breaking down, though, and may get one.  But I still hate the idea of carrying one of these things around:

well I was more referring to how he was focusing on bantering about the 8 month old feud. He wasn't really adding to the topic otherwise
clamshell View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clamshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 5:20pm
Litterbug! Litterbuuuugguuuggh.. litterbug!
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by clamshell clamshell wrote:

Litterbug! Litterbuuuugguuuggh.. litterbug!

maybe they should develop an alternative to Depends, called sh!tterbugs"
Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
Dark Penguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 6:40am

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

I'm no young whippersnapper myself but at least I know that nobody uses underlining for emphasis anymore, especially online where it normally means a hyperlink. Big smile
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 6:49am
It's back from the dead! Kill it!

I liked the Jitterbug ads, they weren't too bad, just a bit long. I actually considered/am considering buying one, just so I can have a good little phone that is easy to use. And for gods sake, I don't want anything with a touch-screen, so I can be wiping finger prints and cheek smudges off the screen every time I use it.

Also, I'm a youngin' myself, and I still use underscoring for emphasis, because it's proper and doesn't make things hard to read like typing in all capitals can.

Then again, I still hyphen to-day, so maybe I'm not the best person to argue this.
Dark Penguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm no senior, but I tend to hold on to things for a long time, too. 

Well why not, after all?  Who wants Version 1.0 of anything, before they work out the bugs and add all the features that didn't occur to anyone in the initial design process?*  A lot of people kept their Windows XP operating systems when they heard how everyone hated Vista.

I would say that most of the senior market today is far less savvy about mobile devices than younger demographic segments, which tends to make them less informed about the potentialities of those products.   Someone in this situation likely doesn't know why they might possibly want a smartphone rather than a dumb one, or why they'd want a mobile phone at all when they have that rotary dial phone in the kitchen, which Ma Bell mounted to the wall and hard-wired to the pole outside, a few days after they moved into the house fifty years ago.

But as younger people now begin aging into that demographic, that knowledgeability gap will narrow.  For people who have their mobility hindered in any way, decent computers and devices can compensate for that to a significant degree, and younger almost-seniors will already know this as they age into the category.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic