Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

McDonalds: White People Are Stupid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:04pm
Jimbo!  You take that back! Barney Fife is one of the best guys in the world!  he is not a "dumb guy"!  He is smart and brave!  Just ask Thelma Lou! (or Juanita at the diner)....
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I think it's so funny that, in our determination to become (or appear to have become) color-blind, we've achieved the opposite.

I don't think we're ever at the end of any road. We're just at a certain point on it.

The day will come I think, maybe a decade or two from now, where all that will have morphed into something new.

I suppose one day it will be hip & fashionable for blacks to be portrayed as the (generic, non-racial stereotype) dumb guys in a "see how far we've come that we can do this & not offend anyone" kind of way.

Sort of a "true equality" kind of mentality.

AAMOF, I think we're already beginning to see that.

Here's an example:

Of course, in this ad, they're both sorta "dumb guys", but the white guy is cast as the magnanimous (albeit slobby) one for just letting the stain on his sofa cushion slide.

I know I woulda been spraying something on that right away!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:10pm
I guess I liked all those guys, too (not so much Homer Simpson).  Woody Boyd was OK, too.  Joey Tribiani (Friends) kind of annoyed me, but not too badly.

Maybe Kutcher ruined the likeable dumb-guy thing for me. 

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I think it's so funny that, in our determination to become (or appear to have become) color-blind, we've achieved the opposite.

I don't think we're ever at the end of any road. We're just at a certain point on it.

The day will come I think, maybe a decade or two from now, where all that will have morphed into something new.

I suppose one day it will be hip & fashionable for blacks to be portrayed as the (generic, non-racial stereotype) dumb guys in a "see how far we've come that we can do this & not offend anyone" kind of way.

Sort of a "true equality" kind of mentality.

AAMOF, I think we're already beginning to see that.

Maybe so.  Maybe people like us here at CIH and in other forums discussing the way blacks and whites are portrayed, is part of the process.  Next, maybe the regular media will stop ignoring the phenomenon.  If you look this matter up on the 'net, you'll see it's being discussed, but mainly in blogs and forums---not in any of the major media.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Jimbo!  You take that back! Barney Fife is one of the best guys in the world!  he is not a "dumb guy"!  He is smart and brave!  Just ask Thelma Lou! (or Juanita at the diner)....

LOL I was watching that show at my mom's house just the other day. It was the episode where he got thrown out of Mrs. What's-her-name's house where he rented a room, for cooking chili on a hot plate & almost burning the place down.

He had to stay at the jail until he found a new place, so while Andy & Opie were walking home from the movies they stopped in to see how it was going.

Barney had been in there making out with Thelma Lou & had so much lipstick smeared all over his face, it looked like she had been trying to eat his face off!!!! Shocked

LOL

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:22pm
I wonder if Barney was screwing her.  I'd imagine Barney would have a problem with premature ejaculation.  Probably came before he even got to her house.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:23pm

I guess I liked all those guys, too (not so much Homer Simpson).  Woody Boyd was OK, too. Joey Tribiani (Friends) kind of annoyed me, but not too badly.

Maybe Kutcher ruined the likeable dumb-guy thing for me.

Yeah, I was trying to think of some more moderen ones & Woody slipped my mind, which is odd because I was just looking for a Cheer's clip on YouTube that featured him, for another forum, about a half hour ago.

And can't forget Erkel, either.

Never watched Friends.

If we ever met in person, I'd have to watch Friends while you ate a Big Mac.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:26pm

I wonder if Barney was screwing her.  I'd imagine Barney would have a problem with premature ejaculation.  Probably came before he even got to her house.

Looked like it was heading in that direction.

They had the lights off & Barney was chasing her around the place.

Nothing unbuttoned or unzipped, though.

Opie thought he was bleeding because of all the lipstick.

It looked like he'd been in a car wreck!!! Shocked

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:29pm
Well, you know he only had one bullet.  And he kept it in his pocket....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:30pm
Here's the clip!!!!

LOL

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:30pm

Never watched Friends.

I liked watching Friends in reruns in the early 2000s.  It's been awhile since I watched it.  The show had some great writing, especially seen in characters Chandler and Phoebe.

And, of course, the show had Jennifer Aniston, too.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Well, you know he only had one bullet.  And he kept it in his pocket....

Maybe he should've carried around some blanks, too...just in case he shot that bullet too soon.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:33pm

Never watched Friends.

I liked watching Friends in reruns in the early 2000s.  It's been awhile since I watched it.  The show had some great writing, especially seen in characters Chandler and Phoebe.

And, of course, the show had Jennifer Aniston, too.

The one bright spot, afaiwc.

Love me some Jennifer Aniston!!!! Tongue

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:34pm
Oh...what about that episode where those two slutty chicks came to town?  I can't imagine Andy and Barney didn't get some of that action.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:39pm
The "Fun Girls"!  Daphne and Skippy...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:40pm

Oh...what about that episode where those two slutty chicks came to town?  I can't imagine Andy and Barney didn't get some of that action.

They probably would have if those two bitches they were shackled to hadn't ruined it for them!!!! Angry

LOL

Actually, Thelma Lou was a little hottie.

I can imagine her in some lacy underwear with that hair down around her shoulders all soft & warm & loose & free.... breasts softly swaying..... excuse me, my laptop seems to suddenly be at an odd angle for some reason.....

c  an 't ty  pe to o   goo   d.....

Evil Smile Big smile

C'mon, man!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:51pm
When I was growing up one of TV's "dumb white guys" was Vinton Harper in Mama's Family.  I watched the Andy Griffith Show a lot too, though obviously as reruns.

Then of course Don Knotts had his role in Three's Company.

I loved both those shows LOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:57pm
Mama's Family was great!

Hey, what ever happened to that first set of kids?  Did Thelma kill 'em and bury them under the house?  Maybe Iola was keeping them as sex slaves at her house?

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 5:00pm
Buzz & Sonia were their names, right?  I'm not sure whatever happened, though the Iola slave theory's a good one LOL

One of my favorite episodes was when Thelma had to take Naomi to a Lamaze class.  She scared the living hell out of the pregnant women in the class by telling them "how it really is" both during and after  birth LOL

EDIT - I'll be damned, here it is LOL

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by PrincessOfTheAncient PrincessOfTheAncient wrote:

Originally posted by JimAyzing JimAyzing wrote:

I honestly do not see this commercial showing that white people are stupid. I am forgetful of things and like the guy in the commercial, I do forget if I get just a little distracted.

Yeah, this is really a bit of a stretch now.

Frankly, as a white McDonald's employee, I'm pretty offended by the comments in this thread about McDonald's employees. I'm working on my education. Sorry that what I'm doing to get by isn't glamorous enough for you guys.

HEY! I was a white McDonald's employee and yes, it did put me through 2-1/2 years of college! It may not have been a glamorous job, but it was a lot of fun. Mostly everyone was the same age, and I made a lot of friends and some fleeting romances! 1978-1981 were my Golden Arches days. Ha - now I'm looking at my golden years! (soon enough, anyway!)
The artist formerly known as Madawee

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 9:51pm

Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Yeah, now that I think about it, it's just another Madison Ave role reversal.
So many white men are actually in serious roles of power, that they want to make them seem more meek and likeable.

Possibly.

And while I do agree that they tend to pander to "people of color", I don't think the "dumb guy" thing has as much to do with them wanting to make whites more likable, as much as it is not wanting to offend non-whites by making them appear subordinate in a situation where whites are present.

JMHO.

It's OK to make a non-white play the "dumb guy" when there are only other non-whites present, but when a white guy is there, he has to be the dumb guy.

Couldn't find a Nail on Head emoticon,  so I figure this is the next best thing.  Embarrassed

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 1:08am
Whereas McDonald's will only show the white man's parental inemptness, I figure I'll give equal time.  LOL 
Disclaimer: Not laughing at the child being hurt, that is a horrible thing. Laughing at dad's inattention.

NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Whereas McDonald's will only show the white man's parental inemptness, I figure I'll give equal time.  LOL 
Disclaimer: Not laughing at the child being hurt, that is a horrible thing. Laughing at dad's inattention.

Goes into my "I hate added sound effects" bin, along with half the movie trailers out there.
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I honestly do not see this commercial showing that white people are stupid. I am forgetful of things and like the guy in the commercial, I do forget if I get just a little distracted.

Frankly, as a white McDonald's employee, I'm pretty offended by the comments in this thread about McDonald's employees. I'm working on my education. Sorry that what I'm doing to get by isn't glamorous enough for you guys.

HEY! I was a white McDonald's employee and yes, it did put me through 2-1/2 years of college! It may not have been a glamorous job, but it was a lot of fun. Mostly everyone was the same age, and I made a lot of friends and some fleeting romances! 1978-1981 were my Golden Arches days. Ha - now I'm looking at my golden years! (soon enough, anyway!)

Exactly.

It's not my dream career or anything, but I'm making the most of it. I've met a lot of really nice people working there and I think it's actually helped improve my people skills, if anything.
+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 12:44pm

No need to be offended.  Unless I missed it, no one called McDonalds employees stupid.

JimAyzing was referring to the white guy in the commercial, who was a customer, not an employee.  Someone else referred to the advertisers as stupid.  Someone else mentioned the employees getting an order wrong, which probably has more to do with carelessness than stupidity.

While nobody directly called fast food employees stupid, I was more or less addressing Tiz's and SgtRock's comments implying we're incompetent (messing up the order 9/10 times) and dirty (someone with no gloves will pluck the cheese off with their bare hands).

Maybe they go to a bad McDonald's, but we can only make what appears on the screen for us and, like I said, sometimes the cashier made an error or someone's changed their order after we finished making the food, not to mention that when it gets busy and you're trying to keep up with multiple orders at once, it gets confusing, and can it take longer to prepare food sometimes? Yeah. Sometimes we're understaffed and sometime we simply run out of product when we don't expect to.

Sometimes, I just get a little tired of the "incompetent/careless slob" stereotype people use to describe fast food employees. I work with a couple of lazy people, but for the most part, I don't think that we generally deserve such labels.
+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic