Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

McDonalds: White People Are Stupid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 10:43pm
I honestly do not see this commercial showing that white people are stupid. I am forgetful of things and like the guy in the commercial, I do forget if I get just a little distracted.
Sponsored Links

JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:31am
Originally posted by JimAyzing JimAyzing wrote:

I honestly do not see this commercial showing that white people are stupid. I am forgetful of things and like the guy in the commercial, I do forget if I get just a little distracted.

Well when they have "urban" commercials that make the people in them look cool and hip and then the first non urban ad they come out with in a while making the people in them look like forgetful morons. 
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 6:59pm
I have a dream - white people having enough and leaving McDonald's to depend entirely on proceeds coming from the urban ghetto element they continually advertise to. I would so love to see McDonalds crash and burn for its arrogance - too bad there's too many stupid people bolstering it for that to happen.
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:28am
They kind of tend to have ads targeted at multi-markets... just saying... 
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 11:59am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

I wonder if I could ask for the burger without the "cheese like substance" and actually get it that way?

People do it all the time.

I'm not sure what people think we do to their food, but we're not all spitting in it (even if we really want to sometimes), I promise.
+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

For goodness sakes!  Don't eat fast food if you don't like it!  

It's easier to laugh about how unintelligent and unsanitary all of its employees are, apparently.

For the record, the employees are required to wash their hands, wear and change their gloves, and have their hair worn back if it's long so hair won't get in our food.

It may be where I work, but the food is always fully cooked when I'm working, and only when we're extremely busy, is it occasionally someone messes up someone's order. Usually if someone messes something up, it's either that the customer changed their mind or made a request after the food was already prepared or the cashier made an error. Afterall, we can only make what appears on the screen for us to make.

I'd hate to break it to you guys, but I'm sure what's being served at all the "cool" restaurants is about questionable as the food is at McDonald's. If you don't enjoy our food, fine, but snobbery really bugs me.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 12:20pm

Yeah, this is really a bit of a stretch now.

Frankly, as a white McDonald's employee, I'm pretty offended by the comments in this thread about McDonald's employees. I'm working on my education. Sorry that what I'm doing to get by isn't glamorous enough for you guys.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by PrincessOfTheAncient PrincessOfTheAncient wrote:

Yeah, this is really a bit of a stretch now.

Frankly, as a white McDonald's employee, I'm pretty offended by the comments in this thread about McDonald's employees. I'm working on my education. Sorry that what I'm doing to get by isn't glamorous enough for you guys.

No need to be offended.  Unless I missed it, no one called McDonalds employees stupid.

JimAyzing was referring to the white guy in the commercial, who was a customer, not an employee.  Someone else referred to the advertisers as stupid.  Someone else mentioned the employees getting an order wrong, which probably has more to do with carelessness than stupidity.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 2:44pm
Damn, I'm hungry now.

Wish I had a couple of Big Macs or Quarter Pounders.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 2:57pm
I've never had a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder.  Not once.  Whenever I'd go to McDonalds, I always got the same thing---2 cheeseburgers, fries and a Coke.  Sometimes, I'd get a shake or a cone afterwards.

edit:  I take that back.  For awhile, I was hooked on Sausage McMuffins.  Those are f*cking good!

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:11pm
Let's face it.  The stupid white people commercial was made by stupid white people.
Takes one to know one.  Not that I'm saying all white people are stupid, just that the makers of the commercials are just modeling them after what they see in the mirror.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I've never had a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder.  Not once.  Whenever I'd go to McDonalds, I always got the same thing---2 cheeseburgers, fries and a Coke.  Sometimes, I'd get a shake or a cone afterwards.

Well, let me just say first, that getting a Coke/drink is just a waste of money.

I NEVER get a drink at fast food places. That's where they really make their profits. A cup of soda probably costs them about a quarter, if that much. And they're hitting you for over a BUCK!!!

Secondly, if you've never had a Big Mac, you're missing out on one of the simple, sloppy pleasures of life. The "special sauce" (glorified Thousand Island dressing) combined with the lettuce, tomato, pickles & onions along with the gooey melted cheese all complimenting the two all beef patties on a sesame seed bun is just a true gut-filling joy that everyone should treat themselves to occasionally.

And don't forget the fries!!!! Gotta have those.

It's kinda like eating at Krystal.

Nasty, but a good nasty.

Oh, how I miss those glorious days when Big Macs were 99¢ each.

(singing, mournfully now)...

If I-I-I-I could save ti-i-i-i-i-ime in a bottle....

The first thing that I'd like to do-o-o-o-o-o-o.....

Is to save every day (of 99¢ Big Macs) till eternity ends....

Then again, I would spend them.......

.....well, eating 99¢  Big Macs, I suppose. Tongue

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:15pm

edit:  I take that back.  For awhile, I was hooked on Sausage McMuffins.  Those are f*cking good!

Even as a kid I hated their burgers.  I'd get the Happy Meal (do they even still have those?), but would just eat the fries and pick at the burger a little bit, but wouldn't eat the whole thing.  I was more interested in whatever the promotional toy was that came with the meal.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Let's face it.  The stupid white people commercial was made by stupid white people.
Takes one to know one.  Not that I'm saying all white people are stupid, just that the makers of the commercials are just modeling them after what they see in the mirror.

I think they're doing it because traditionally, goofy, dopey, "dumb-guy" type people on TV have always been seen as being "likable".

Or "adorkable" as they say nowadays.

David Letterman's on screen persona is an example of the "likeable dumb guy" routine.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:17pm

I could do without the lettuce and tomato, Jimbo.  In fact, a long time ago, I used to discard the pickles, too.  Eventually, I came to love those soggy ketchup-covered things, removing them from the cheeseburger so that I can enjoy them all on their own in all their soggy ketchup-covered goodness.

But I once bought a double-cheeseburger.  Then, I realized it was twice the price---for twice the meat but only 1 and 1/2 times the amount of bread.  So, I went back to regular cheeseburgers.  It wasn't so much that I wanted that extra piece of bun; it was the principle of it.  I'm highly principled, you know.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Even as a kid I hated their burgers.  I'd get the Happy Meal (do they even still have those?), but would just eat the fries and pick at the burger a little bit, but wouldn't eat the whole thing.

You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!!! AngryAngryAngry

Wasting all those yummy burgers!!!!! CryCry

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:26pm

I could do without the lettuce and tomato, Jimbo.  In fact, a long time ago, I used to discard the pickles, too.  Eventually, I came to love those soggy ketchup-covered things, removing them from the cheeseburger so that I can enjoy them all on their own in all their soggy ketchup-covered goodness.

But I once bought a double-cheeseburger.  Then, I realized it was twice the price---for twice the meat but only 1 and 1/2 times the amount of bread.  So, I went back to regular cheeseburgers.

Double cheeseburgers have the exact same amount of bread that single cheeseburgers do.

You're just paying extra for the 2nd patty.

Only the Big Mac has the extra half a bun in the center.

I used to buy the DCB when it was on the 99¢ menu.

Now they have the "McDouble" which is basically a double cheeseburger, but with only one slice of cheese, rather than two like the DCB has, & it's only 99¢.

Check it out, ya sorry-ass lettuce & tomato-hatin bastard.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:28pm
Yeah, maybe that was it.  I just remember thinking the product wasn't commensurate with the doubling of the price.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I think they're doing it because traditionally, goofy, dopey, "dumb-guy" type people on TV have always been seen as being "likable".

Or "adorkable" as they say nowadays.

David Letterman's on screen persona is an example of the "likeable dumb guy" routine.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it's just another Madison Ave role reversal.
So many white men are actually in serious roles of power, that they want to make them seem more meek and likeable.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:40pm

Yeah, maybe that was it.  I just remember thinking the product wasn't commensurate with the doubling of the price.

I've done the "two-single-cheeseburger-rather-that-one-double-cheeseburger" thing before too, but only when they were having the singles on a special sale price.

I still prefer the DCB though, because you get twice the meat in every bite.

The singles are just sort of dry because of the higher bread-to-meat ratio.

I prefer a higher meat-to-bread ratio.

That's why I like the McDouble.

And, I can get them for 99¢ each!!! Thumbs Up

What I'd do when I'd get two singles on sale (4 actually, because I always require two of whatever it is) is that I'd put the patty from two, onto the other two, thus making two double burgers. Then, I'd take the remaining buns home, wrap them up in a plastic bag & use them to make a couple of sandwiches out of the next day. LOL

Because, a.) I'm "frugal" & b.) I hate to waste food.

Mostly b.).

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:40pm

So many white men are actually in serious roles of power, that they want to make them seem more meek and likeable.

Except, I don't find buffoons of any color as particularly likeable.  I've mentioned here several times how much I dislike Ashton Kutcher.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:44pm

I've done the "two-single-cheeseburger-rather-that-one-double-cheeseburger" thing before too, but only when they were having the singles on a special sale price.

I still prefer the DCB though, because you get twice the meat in every bite.

The singles are just sort of dry because of the higher bread-to-meat ratio.

I prefer a higher meat-to-bread ratio.

That's why I like the McDouble.

And, I can get them for 99¢ each!!! Thumbs Up

What I'd do when I'd get two singles on sale (4 actually, because I always require two of whatever it is) is that I'd put the patty from two, onto the other two, thus making two double burgers. Then, I'd take the remaining buns home, wrap them up in a plastic bag & use them to make a couple of sandwiches out of the next day. LOL

Because, a.) I'm "frugal" & b.) I hate to waste food.

Mostly b.).

Yeah, but you can buy 2 cheeseburgers and just discard the extra bread.  And you can make it real obvious by parading around the place with the extra bun between your fingers, announcing to everyone there that you're just gonna flagrantly toss the extra bun in the garbage in order to stick it to the man, man!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:49pm

Possibly.

And while I do agree that they tend to pander to "people of color", I don't think the "dumb guy" thing has as much to do with them wanting to make whites more likable, as much as it is not wanting to offend non-whites by making them appear subordinate in a situation where whites are present.

JMHO.

It's OK to make a non-white play the "dumb guy" when there are only other non-whites present, but when a white guy is there, he has to be the dumb guy.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:52pm

It's OK to make a non-white play the "dumb guy" when there are only other non-whites present, but when a white guy is there, he has to be the dumb guy.

That's mainly acceptable when there's a black guy with his wife.  Then, the "men are stupid/women are smart" meme wins out.

I think it's so funny that, in our determination to become (or appear to have become) color-blind, we've achieved the opposite. 

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 3:57pm

Except, I don't find buffoons of any color as particularly likeable.  I've mentioned here several times how much I dislike Ashton Kutcher.

I think Ashton Kutcher is a special case.

He's unlikable for many, many more reasons than just playing a "dumb guy".

Most "dumb guy" characters are pretty likable, to me, anyway.

Who have some of the classic "dumb guy" roles have been?

Maynard G. Krebs, Gilligan, Jethro Bodine, Sargeant Shultz, Barney Fife, Ensign Parker, Gomer Pyle, Goober Pyle, Homer Simpson....

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic