Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Internet Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Watching a commercial before a vid!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Watching a commercial before a vid!
    Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 1:56pm
I just hate this...every time I want to watch some vid...a commercial HAS to be on it!

It's like their forcing us to watch this damn commercial! I HATE THAT!

I just remembered...I had a similar rant about this...but this happens with MORE than just YouTube!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Sponsored Links

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 3:26pm
Whenever I "click" on to a Website I'll opt for the "Open in new Tab"route. Very often if you try to logon DIRECTLY you'll get a Pop-Up or Pop Under Ad and/or a Commercial. Angry But more often or not if you go for the "New Tab" route you'll get to the page you want! Big smile And if you are still faced with an Ad you can go somewhere else for a minute or two and let the ad run it's course while you do something else! LOL

Let the one-percenters eat cake!
Poiuyt Power!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 3:53pm
Many video ads allow you to skip the ad after 5 seconds or so.

In Photobucket, there's one stage in the process during which you're presented with a video ad.  At this point, you're supposed to "return to photo album".  Doing so will allow you to escape the ad.  But it takes a few seconds for your command to respond, during which the video ad continues to play.  I think that was done purposely.

TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 10:03pm
it's such a poor marketing strategy.

Don't they realize people are cursing when the ad pops up and not paying attention to it?

And if its one of those where you can skip the ad after 5 seconds, nobody is listening anyway and just waiting to skip the ad.

I wish every product was like cigarettes. You aren't allowed to advertise cigs on tv or in ads and they still make billions of dollars.

Such a shame these companies don't have confidence in their products like the cig companies do LOL
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 10:32pm
Go into a Hobby Shop. Few if any of the things they sell are advertised. Have you ever seen a Commercial for Estes Model Rockets? How about one for Gayla Kites? Yet these and dozens of others products are sold in these kind of Shops, and the companies that sell them are content to not advertise on Radio or TV. Thumbs Up

Also, has anyone ever seen an ad for Swarovski Crystal Figurines? Millions of people collect the little baubles they come out with every year, and you don't see them on TV or Radio either!

Finally, have you ever seen a Commercial for Rolls Royce? LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Go into a Hobby Shop. Few if any of the things they sell are advertised. Have you ever seen a Commercial for Estes Model Rockets? How about one for Gayla Kites? Yet these and dozens of others products are sold in these kind of Shops, and the companies that sell them are content to not advertise on Radio or TV. Thumbs Up

Also, has anyone ever seen an ad for Swarovski Crystal Figurines? Millions of people collect the little baubles they come out with every year, and you don't see them on TV or Radio either!

Finally, have you ever seen a Commercial for Rolls Royce? LOL

And yet McDonald's spends millions of dollars making stupid commercials as if nobody ever heard of mcDonald's before. LOL

Wouldn't they make even MORE money if they just stopped advertising?
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 2:09am
Yes, i wonder about that too... They can make their prices even lower and make more money... It doesn't make sense to advertise something EVERYONE knows about.

What is irritating is when I want to watch a Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir video I get tormented by a Mormonism ad.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 2:26am
Originally posted by TV_Casualty TV_Casualty wrote:

it's such a poor marketing strategy.

Don't they realize people are cursing when the ad pops up and not paying attention to it?...
 WinkCertainly agree 100% - but...I just BET they could care less - the idea probably is just to get the consumer to recognize their product, to unconsciously recall their product (and possibly choose it) at the consumers' 'shopping opportnities'.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 6:33pm
Unfortunately, we're only given two options. Either grin and bear it, or use a third-party program to block the advertisements. Personally, I recommend Adblock for FireFox if you never want to see an ad again, at least before a video. It's pretty good about blocking bar-ads and pop-ups, too.

When a company forces me to watch their advertisement every time I open a new video, that makes me 100% less likely to purchase their product. Most of the time, I mute my speakers/headphones and don't even listen to what they're saying. These ad agencies need to learn that we don't like to be forced to watch their bullsh*t.

Most of the ads aren't even related to the content. I want to listen to Godsmack, not see an ad about Mormons. I really don't see how a religion can be advertised. An advertisement isn't going to make me change my faith or suddenly become a Mormon.

And Vevo and WMG think they're doing us a favor by putting up music with advertisements in it? They're just making more people go and pirate it.
S100Headache View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S100Headache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 5:56pm
I must be the only one who sits through the videos so that my favorite channels get their ad revenue. As long as the ad is less than a minute, that is. I've ended up with 5-minute ads on 3-minute videos.

I seem to have gotten lucky, though, for example, ads for Native Instruments software instruments on demos of old synthesizers.

During the election campaigns, though, the political ads were unbearable. The smarmy douche saying "What do you love about your country?" was a real Mute Button All-Star.
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 10:32pm
I absolutely HATE it on Hulu...they will ask if the commercial is relevant to me, and I always click "No". There's a reason I watch stuff online, and part of it is to avoid the ads and pop-ups.

I love Youtube, but Google is really making that site a PITA for a couple or reasons. The other is that they INSIST that you sync everything with your Hotmail or Gmail accounts. No, Google, I liked having my own separate log in, and no, I do not want to use my real name. How about you just let me enjoy watching videos and mind your Censoreding business?!
The poster formerly known as producer757
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 10:36pm
Youtube USED to make me more likely to buy stuff. I got introduced to the Takarazuka theatre via Youtube, most of the foreign music I now listn to is because of videos that were on Youtube.

Then Google bought them, removed nearly everything that 'violated' copyright, and it's pretty much worthless crap now.

There were two Takarazuka videos on the REAL Youtube that I loved. I was hoping to buy the videos they came from from Japan. But then GoogleTube took over and removed them. Takarazuka Videos are very restricted selling (almost no websites sell them, and you often have to pay someone from Japan to buy and ship them to you.) and pricey ($100+). YouTube would have given me the information to buy the one I wanted and aid the theatre troupe in making a profit. As it is, I have no desire to by random shows to see if I get the one I wanted. The changes GoogleTube made has lost several companies a potentially very willing customer.
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 12:34am
I hate the Google-Youtube buyout too, not just because of the copyright crap*, but also because Google INSISTS that you use your Hotmail or Gmail accounts to log in, instead of a regular username and password.

Well, I have numerous accounts for various purposes, and I use them all from this computer. Keeping that in mind, I don't want to have to remember which email to use just so I can comment on Youtube videos.

Google's newest trick is trying to insist users use their real name instead of a "handle", I guess to prevent anonymity. I'm just sick and tired of the Big Brother approach Google is putting on everything. Go AWAY!!!

*I'm really getting sick and tired of Youtube zapping shows from 30 years ago that'll never see the light of day because of "copyright". I really, really refuse to believe you're losing money from whatever show someone uploaded from 1984. Don't even get me started on videos flagged by companies that don't even own the damn content!
The poster formerly known as producer757
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 3:03am
I really, REALLY hate the guy who first came up with the idea of unskippable ads being placed before Internet videos. That guy should've been shot by a conscientious person the second his hand flipped up at that marketing meeting.

That being said, the most positive attention an ad is ever gonna get is upon the first viewing. After that, any repeats just go to the backburner of our minds - we are more thinking about and wishing for our show to come back than rushing out and buying a product just because we saw it 2 times or more on Youtube.

With that in mind, would it really hurt to add a feature where your computer could be scanned and it could be determined if you've already seen an add once, then never show it to you again?
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 10:14pm
I watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report on Comedy Central.com I'm getting sick of seeing either a Verizon ad where you have to choose a story showcasing their products (YAWN!) or the highly annoying ad for the latest Die Hard movie. If I hear "Guess who?" from the mouth of Bruce Willis ONE MORE TIME I'm smashing the monitor!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

I really, REALLY hate the guy who first came up with the idea of unskippable ads being placed before Internet videos. That guy should've been shot by a conscientious person the second his hand flipped up at that marketing meeting.

I've actually looked up commercials on Youtube (for the sake of posting here), and had to sit through an ad for an entirely different product before I could view the one I was looking for.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

...or the highly annoying ad for the latest Die Hard movie. If I hear "Guess who?" from the mouth of Bruce Willis ONE MORE TIME I'm smashing the monitor!

I've really gotten sick of the sort of glib (and totally unrealistic) dialogue that's come to define the Bruce Willis sort of action flick over the past 30 years.  It was fine for awhile (especially when Clint Eastwood was doing it), but it's gotten really old.

S100Headache View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S100Headache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 1:32am
Originally posted by tvpirate05 tvpirate05 wrote:

Google's newest trick is trying to insist users use their real name instead of a "handle", I guess to prevent anonymity. I'm just sick and tired of the Big Brother approach Google is putting on everything. Go AWAY!!!
I think it's because they're turning regular Google accounts into Google+ accounts, to compete with Facebook. Dead
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 1:43am
I just use any obscure fictional name I can think of.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
AdAnalyzer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 7:56pm
I don't mind having to watch ads as they're sort of a hobby of mine, as long as they're the length of a regular commercial. I was listening to a playlist of Celtic Thunder the other day, and these long ads kept playing that were longer than the song. Also, with my screen reader, I can't even skip the ads because the buttons aren't labeled.
Commercials are awesome, except the annoying ones.
Ihatephoneads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihatephoneads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 10:17pm
I am so sick and tired of pop up ads when I'm trying to read an article. The little "x" to get out of the ad is so small half the time it sends me to the link. Or are that pop up when I complete a game level
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 6:34am
Regarding my previous post, here's a vid I made in response to those stupid long Youtube ads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSDPdD24MGg
Sorry, I've never been able to figure out how to do that embedded video thing.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by AdAnalyzer AdAnalyzer wrote:

Regarding my previous post, here's a vid I made in response to those stupid long Youtube ads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSDPdD24MGg
Sorry, I've never been able to figure out how to do that embedded video thing.

I had no idea you were totally blind!  I do have questions.  You say you watch commercials and videos and TV.  Not to sound rude, but what does that actually mean?  I know some things have "audio description", but that's probably limited to only a few things.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 10:30pm
Basically just listening, but we just use the same terms everybody else uses to sound normal. Also, we still use the term reading for audiobooks. Just that we watch and read with our ears instead of our eyes.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 11:11pm

Is audio description available for many TV shows?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic