Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Verizon Mother's Day  Mother-Daughter Crying ad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Verizon Mother's Day Mother-Daughter Crying ad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Verizon Mother's Day Mother-Daughter Crying ad
    Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:31pm
Sorry, can't find this, but it's horrible and they are playing it over and over on ESPN of all places.

The mom is distraught because the daughter is moving a few miles away. All the dialog is done by fake crying, so there are subtitles.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Dead
Sponsored Links

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:42pm
I saw it.  Stupid ad.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 8:45pm
Just saw this one last night for the first time.  Annoying, in the same way as that screaming JC Penney ad from a few months ago.

AmazedHuman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmazedHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 9:33pm
Oh, it goes way, way beyond stupid. I change the channel every time this miserable mess is on. Strange thing is, the station I tuned to last night was playing the same idiotic ad at the same time. This ad is horrible! Juvenile if the best I could say for it and I can't imagine, in my wildest dreams, anyone getting paid to come up with this. If this is the best they have, they need to switch advertising agencies. Quickly!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by AmazedHuman AmazedHuman wrote:

Oh, it goes way, way beyond stupid. I change the channel every time this miserable mess is on. Strange thing is, the station I tuned to last night was playing the same idiotic ad at the same time. This ad is horrible! Juvenile if the best I could say for it and I can't imagine, in my wildest dreams, anyone getting paid to come up with this. If this is the best they have, they need to switch advertising agencies. Quickly!

Communications-related companies come out with so many commercials that it seems they just pump them out one after another, without putting much thought or effort into them.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 10:43pm
I guess this is the abomination in question ... I just found it:

At least now I know how it begins so if it comes on during a commercial break, I'll know to change the channel ASAP.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 2:39am
NO! This ad does not exist!!
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 3:20am
Now they're playing it over and over during the Stanley Cup playoffs. Who the hell do they think the demographic for this is? Shouldn't it be on Lifetime between a Tampax ad and a diaper ad?
commercialh8tr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commercialh8tr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 12:44pm
To think an ad agency actually had to concept this, pitch it to the client....cast it, produce/shoot/edit it (God have mercy on the souls of the editors) and many other layers of work actually went into this spot is absolutely unfathomable torture of the highest order.  Give me any medieval torture device that pulls, tears or squishes my privates over viewing this EVER again.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by commercialh8tr commercialh8tr wrote:

Give me any medieval torture device that pulls, tears or squishes my privates over viewing this EVER again.

One body-building virgin girl coming up.
dreamboat View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dreamboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 6:54pm
Another horrid example of an advertiser trying to sell you something by depicting a situation and people in a totally unreralistic way. All of that crying in public, in a store? Yeah, that happens every day. Do you realize the contempt advertisers must have for the TV-watching public? They must loathe all of us. Because they design ads so brazenly stupid, so over-the-top, so grating, so off-putting, I have to conclude their true goal is to punish us, and pitching products or services we don't want or need is a distant second objective.

Don't you wish you could go to a company's website and find this poll section? Have you seen our latest ad? Please rate it by selecting one of the following:

Loved it. Please run it constantly
Not bad. Made a postive impression
Forgettable. I have no opinion
Hated it! What were you people thinking?
WTH!? Worst ad ever! Fire your ad agency. And hurry!

I have to believe that if a huge percentage of respondents selected Hated it! or WTH!?, the company would have to take some action regarding the ad. The purpose of an ad is sales. If the result of the ad is poor sales or angry viewers, that's wasted money. Even poorly run companies shouldn't stand for that. At the very least, ad agencies would be forced to produce a better product, knowing that their client is monitoring feedback from the website. It's just an idea. Thinking out loud over here.  
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 9:37pm
MUH-HOO-HOO-HURR-RURR-YARR-MEE-MEE-GUNG-GUYYYYYYY...

That's neurotic mother babble for SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by dreamboat dreamboat wrote:

I have to believe that if a huge percentage of respondents selected Hated it! or WTH!?, the company would have to take some action regarding the ad. The purpose of an ad is sales. If the result of the ad is poor sales or angry viewers, that's wasted money. Even poorly run companies shouldn't stand for that. At the very least, ad agencies would be forced to produce a better product, knowing that their client is monitoring feedback from the website. It's just an idea. Thinking out loud over here.  

Good point, maybe Verizon reads this board. 
OMG, how did families ever function before the age of smart phones?
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 4:27am
And, the Verizon phone also has GPS so you can track your loved ones!

Mother: Where are you now?
Daughter:  I'm on the toilet.
Mother:  Where are you now?
Daughter:  I'm walking into the kitchen.
Mother:  That's not what your GPS is saying...
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 4:56am
An instant mute-button classic here.

Also, are people's lives THAT controlled by technology these days they can't live less than 5 miles away from each other without having at least 100 devices and gadgets to catch up with them? (geez, I'm sounding like an old man, and I'm only 27).
Wankel View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wankel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 5:03am
Mom and daughter each need a Droid inserted sideways into their recta.  That would keep them "in touch with each other"...
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:45am
Geez, can you say helicopter parent?  No wonder she wants to get cellphones so much. It's like the world's longest apron string.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 2:20pm
The girl's tears are fake.  You know damned well all she's thinking about is having her first wild party in her new pad.  The only thing she's worried about is her mother showing up unexpectedly in the middle of it and finding her pulling a train on the balcony.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The girl's tears are fake.  You know damned well all she's thinking about is having her first wild party in her new pad.  The only thing she's worried about is her mother showing up unexpectedly in the middle of it and finding her pulling a train on the balcony.

Or momma coming by the next morning and finding her daughter passed out on the floor with a fresh new pearl necklace.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:39pm
Hello, Daddy
Hello, Mom
I'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-CHERRY BOMB!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 4:22pm
I just saw that piece of crap ad last night.

Or maybe it's the first time I took notice of it.

UGHHHH!!!!!  Dead

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Geezer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 7:27pm
OK, you guys are MISSING A CLUE HERE.... these latest series of Verizon ads are re-cycled ideas from other sources. The "bad idea" one is a direct rip-off of a Saturday Night Live sketch from about 20 years ago...

The "crying girls" commercial is a take off/parody of the this viral video. Notice how they chose an actress for the Verizon ad that resembles this young lady. 

Rice is good if you're hungry and feel like eating 2,000 of something. - Mitch Hedberg
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Geezer Geezer wrote:

OK, you guys are MISSING A CLUE HERE.... these latest series of Verizon ads are re-cycled ideas from other sources. The "bad idea" one is a direct rip-off of a Saturday Night Live sketch from about 20 years ago...

The "crying girls" commercial is a take off/parody of the this viral video. Notice how they chose an actress for the Verizon ad that resembles this young lady. 

Cool story.

It still doesn't change the fact the commercial is annoying as f**k.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:58pm
CryBoy, she really loves catsCry
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 11:38pm

I've wanted to find this commercial for a while - absolutely do not care for it.

Waahhh! "I want myVerizon RAZR!"

Homey don't need no Verizon ANYTHING. That is one suck-ass company.

If Wal-Mart was a phone company, it would rename itself 'Verizon'.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic