Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Progressive: It's like a WHAT in here? NO VIDEO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive: It's like a WHAT in here? NO VIDEO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive: It's like a WHAT in here? NO VIDEO
    Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:15pm
When the 2 salesmen from The Other Insurance Company start lying about how good they are, their pants start to burn! OH! Liar, liar pants on fire! CLEVER!  That's not even the annoying part.

The man with the glasses then says, "It's like a sauna in here," only he pronounces it SOW-na. (Sow to rhyme with cow).  SOW-na? Is that really how you say that? I always though it was pronounced to rhyme with Donna!
Sponsored Links

IndyBeckiH View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyBeckiH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 11:37pm
I think the fake pronunciation is part of the humor.  Makes them sound "cosmopolitan," along with the "no mas pantalones" remark.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 11:53pm
No video is needed - it's a Progressive ad. One can simply imagine the pain from just hearing about Flo.
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:52am
Originally posted by Bena Bena wrote:

When the 2 salesmen from The Other Insurance Company start lying about how good they are, their pants start to burn!
And it started out as one of the somewhat tolerable Progressive ads with Flo showing rate comparisons with other on that chart. It's as if someone in the ad agency sent a scathing memo: "This one is not stupid enough! Fix it ASAP!"

sjmoore76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjmoore76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 5:31pm
In the Finnish Language, (Finland is where saunas are from) it IS pronounced that way.  They pronounce every noun.  I just finished reading a book about saunas, (I'm doing ancestral  research) I am of Finnish ancestry. My mother ALWAYS pronounced it that way, they had one on the farm as she was growing up.
WDAN20 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDAN20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 5:38pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j8u9W7HSWI

Here is the video for it. My dad hates this ad because he has actually seen people with their clothes on fire and it definitely was not funny. 

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 5:51pm

Burning clothes, mispronunciations/correct pronunciations aside, I hate the commercial because it has those 2 incompetent slapdicks in it.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by sjmoore76 sjmoore76 wrote:

In the Finnish Language, (Finland is where saunas are from) it IS pronounced that way.  They pronounce every noun.  I just finished reading a book about saunas, (I'm doing ancestral  research) I am of Finnish ancestry. My mother ALWAYS pronounced it that way, they had one on the farm as she was growing up.
You're right! One of my best friends came from Swedish and Estonian background and they all pronounced it "SOW-NA".  Her father built the house she grew up in and in the late 70s added a sauna. THAT was simply the most luxurious thing I ever experienced as a teenager! LOL
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:48pm
The "sowna" pronunciation is correct, but "no mas pantalones" sounds very awkward.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:19pm
How come the socks didn't burn --- or parts up in their neither region
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:32pm
Tiz, I love your avatar! 'Tiz grand!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

audiochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 10:54pm
I came across this forum because I was looking for something else... I've been a commercial copywriter for 25 years and you just proved me right... commercials people love never get as much attention as the ones that annoy people. You've just proven their campaign by creating a place to talk about them. I bet if someone randomly said FLO to you, you would automatically think of Progressive... job well done to the campaign managers! LOL Carry on... :)
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by audiochick audiochick wrote:

I came across this forum because I was looking for something else... I've been a commercial copywriter for 25 years and you just proved me right... commercials people love never get as much attention as the ones that annoy people. You've just proven their campaign by creating a place to talk about them. I bet if someone randomly said FLO to you, you would automatically think of Progressive... job well done to the campaign managers! LOL Carry on... :)

Well, then the job is half done.  Doesn't mean I'm gonna go out and buy their sh*tty product though, does it?  I don't think most of the people on this board would, either. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 2:46am
Originally posted by audiochick audiochick wrote:

If you really do work for an ad agency, you can take this back to your people - there are lot of people who ACTIVELY BOYCOTT products because the commercials are so bad, regardless of how "memorable" they are.

I know I know you marketing suits have "even bad publicity is good publicity" repeated to you so many times, but there IS a limit to that principle.
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 3:24am
^^  Right on, Snesgamer.Clap
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 2:52pm
Commercials---good or bad---have little if any effect on what I buy.

I hate the Geico ads, but I wouldn't avoid their car insurance over them.
I like the Allstate Mayhem ads, but I wouldn't buy their insurance because of them.

All that these commercials would do, is stress that I need to have car insurance.  In reality, I've had Mercury car insurance since 1999.

As far as other products, I try to buy the store brand or "generic" whenever I can.  It's cheaper, and usually of the same quality.  If anything, a commercial for Chips Ahoy would remind me to go to Walmart for a package of their Great Value chocolate chip cookies (which, by the way, I contend are better than Chips Ahoy---more chocolate chips).

yooperfinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yooperfinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:56pm
The way he says sauna in the commercial is actually the correct Finnish pronunciation. If you ever happen to be anywhere in Upper Michigan or other places with a high Finnish-American population, you will hear it pronounced this way. 
dizrythmia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:11pm
that was already said in the fourth reply.
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by dizrythmia dizrythmia wrote:

that was already said in the fourth reply.
You can tell by his username he was just itching to get that said, too.  I mean, unbelievably itching.  SINGLE POST FAIL.  Go back to the UP, eh hoser?  Take off. 

- Mark Twain

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:49pm
^^ That makes 3 single post fails in this thread alone.  The irony is that a lot of single post failures have a tendency to criticize us for having nothing better to do with our time than come here and bash commercials.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 12:16am
Originally posted by yooperfinn yooperfinn wrote:

The way he says sauna in the commercial is actually the correct Finnish pronunciation. If you ever happen to be anywhere in Upper Michigan or other places with a high Finnish-American population, you will hear it pronounced this way. 

Seeing as how they speak Spanish at the end of the commercial, I think they're pronouncing "sauna" en Espanol, too (the Spanish and Finnish pronunciations are the same).  What the point of that is, I dunno---but I think that's the pronunciation they were going for.

With what must be hundreds of Flo commercials at this point, I don't know why they keep playing this one all the time.  I'm sick of it.  It doesn't amuse me in the least.

EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 1:18am
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

^^ That makes 3 single post fails in this thread alone.  The irony is that a lot of single post failures have a tendency to criticize us for having nothing better to do with our time than come here and bash commercials.

Weird, eh? LOL 

- Mark Twain

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Seeing as how they speak Spanish at the end of the commercial, I think they're pronouncing "sauna" en Espanol, too (the Spanish and Finnish pronunciations are the same).  What the point of that is, I dunno---but I think that's the pronunciation they were going for.

probably. i looked up the word and omg everyone from upper michigan is gonna flip!!! the word IS finnish!!! the spanish wiktionary and wikipedia were not helpful and didn't have ipa pronunciations but they did for german (which i can supposedly speak) and it's pronounced like the finnish version. it stands to reason it is en español, too.

i'd say maybe this revelation will stop these single posts, but the whole point is they're not reading anything posted, so i look forward to at least two more people registering to tell us the word is finnish. can't wait!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 4:10pm

^  Here's the website (with audio) I found it in.  I knew it was probably pronounced the same in Spanish, but I wanted to make sure.  For the record, it's pronounced the same in Dutch and Czech and Polish.  Of course, a lot of those countries are just lines on a map.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 4:18pm
crap, i'm sitting in the hallway of a building at my university and didn't think to bring earbuds with me (i wish i had, i'm dying of boredom). i'll have to take your word for that website.

wiktionary tends to be my go-to simply because i use it for quick translations all the time, plus with more common words they will sometimes have audio with native speakers saying the word. i don't remember seeing it for sauna though, in any language. i also never thought i would be discussing this word so much!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic