Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nationwide insurance = racist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nationwide insurance = racist?
    Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 4:44pm
black guy & black girl in church, getting married.   In the middle of the service, the preacher starts asking about insurance, & utters something like, "can someone help this brotha' out with his insurance?!?"

of course there's a nationwide agent attending, & after they get their insurance, someone utters a loud "hallejulah!!"

This is so horribly stereotypical I was 1/2 expecting a "can a n!gga get some insurance up in heah??  He got to have coverage fo' his babymama!!"

horrible.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 4:54pm
VERY ASTUTE OBSERVATION!

This is one blatent, stupid, and offensive commercial - and it stereotypes folks horribly this is plain and straight in bad taste.

My wife said EXACTLY the same thing you said the very first time she saw it - she literally almost went 'postal' (I went looking for rocks to hide under). I was so horrified the first time I saw this waste of airtime I said *nothing* to her, nor anyone else - hoping it would NEVER show a second time.
It showed again.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
powerfunk View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powerfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by jerkylips jerkylips wrote:

"can a n!gga get some insurance up in heah??"

horrible.

LOL, thank you for that jerkylips.
Always, ALWAYS get CHILI on your nachos bell grande.
JW Advocate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW Advocate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 5:30pm
I couldn't disagree more. As an African American, I was refreshed by how the setting for this commercial really spoke to me. It spoke to my experiences, my vernacular, and, and...

Yeah, I let out a long sigh after seeing this one, too. Thumbs%20Down Its not the worst commercial I've ever seen, but its probably not winning points with its "demo."
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 10:25pm
the sad thing is this commercial is probably aimed at a black audience.
Disapprove
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 1:01am
baptists actually talk like that
JimA View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 12:20pm
I didn't think it racist. I did think it was dumb.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 2:13pm
It's interesting to see how different people make a different observation aboutv the same commercial. I thought the commercial was funny, without thinking for a minute that it was racist. But now that I have seen some comments here, I can see where one would thiink it was.

Just like the "Dumb Daddy" commercials that are so prevelent. Many men see this as reverse sexism, whereas many women do not (I'm not mentioning any namesWink), or the smart black guy/dumb pasty white guy commercials. All based on perception.
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

or the smart black guy/dumb pasty white guy commercials. All based on perception.

You bring up something that I've been wanting to mention for a while.  Another one of those "themes"--

the "dorky white guy with a cool black guy" gets done way too much.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 2:47pm

Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

or the smart black guy/dumb pasty white guy commercials. All based on perception.

You bring up something that I've been wanting to mention for a while.  Another one of those "themes"--

the "dorky white guy with a cool black guy" gets done way too much.

Just imagine the uproar if those roles were reversed. What adholes don't get is that reverse racism is just as wrong.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 3:06pm
Whether it be the "dorky white guy with a cool black guy" ads, or the dumb husband/smart wife commercials (confined to white couples), it's become OK to portray white males as idiots, as white males are expected to have more of a sense of humor about themselves, and just take it on the chin.

Neither of these scenarios would be considered acceptable if they were reversed.  There are black or female groups to fight those stereotypes.  White males are simply not allowed to organize as white males, lest they be called racist.

kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

baptists actually talk like that

=/
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 6:02pm
"Insurance premiums be jammin' a brotha up!"
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 6:15pm
Ugh! I've not seen this ad but it sounds horrible. As an African-American, I am insulted by this. Does everyone think that all black churches have screaming preachers, fainting and yelling women wearing ostentatious hats and ghetto speak? I do NOT go to churches like that; I've made it a point to avoid them like the plague. My family never attended churches like that and I'm really glad. Even though they are doing the works of the Lord, I'm really turned off by that kind of preaching.
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 7:49pm

Unfortunately, it's become shorthand for certain denominations, particularly Baptist, or predominantly African-American churches. The recent attention on the 'Reverend' Jeremiah Wright certainly brought this stereotype to the forefront. Sadly, the quiet, dignified preachers/clergy, who don't sound as though they're passing a kidney stone through their nostrils, are easily overlooked for that more 'flamboyant' garbage.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 1:35am
Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

Unfortunately, it's become shorthand for certain denominations, particularly Baptist, or predominantly African-American churches. The recent attention on the 'Reverend' Jeremiah Wright certainly brought this stereotype to the forefront. Sadly, the quiet, dignified preachers/clergy, who don't sound as though they're passing a kidney stone through their nostrils, are easily overlooked for that more 'flamboyant' garbage.

And, unfortunately, it isn't just with Jeremiah Wright.  I've seen the "hallelujahs" and audience punctuation happen (on TV) when Obama has spoken in front of some groups of supporters.  I realize that that it's part of many African-Americans' church experience, but I'm afraid it has worked against Obama in the minds of certain potential voters.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 3:24am
From what I understand, Obama is a long leg mack daddy.  He pimps women using a pair of 54 D's.  Double D's! 

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 4:03pm
Great.
We're sinking to new all-time lows...
(when will the 'black-face' and clown shoes appear?)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 4:13pm
I'm pretty sure I never heard "two great big ol' tits" in any sermon I've ever heard at Mass.  LOL

Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 5:22pm
Could you imagine John Kerry in black face?????Shocked DAAAYYYYIM, that would be a lot of freakin paint!!! I would have said Bush, but he probably couldn't find the black crayon in a crayola box!! And that's from someone who used to REALLY like him and defend him!!!

Anyway, unfortunately just about every black comedy (black people, not morbid black) has a church scene and they all do this. It makes us dumb white people kind of get the wrong idea. It's like an inside joke that is brought outside but nobody told us it was a joke. Then if we try to be funny or cute in any way about it, we get our corn creamed!! LOL I personally know NOT ALL BLACK CHURCHES ARE LIKE THAT!!!!! Have you guys seen some of the extreme WHITE CHURCHES??? They might not have the big organs, (NOT A RACIAL PUN LOL) but they are just as loud and crazy, and I have NEVER heard of a black church playing with snakes!!! Enter Samual Jackson, "I'm sick of these mutha f**kin' snakes on my mutha f**kin' pew!!!!!" LOL

Everyone has their own thing and we ought to be able to express ourselves without hate. I mean of course we should not HATE WHILE expressing ourselves, and if you hear someone say something that sounds offensive, ask before you bite. There are so many stereotypical anticdotes when you talk about race, that is is SOOO easy to offend someone, and so hard to actually have a topic heard. I mean you're overall point can sometimes get downed in the sniping back and forth. I wish we could all just get along and stop the violence man!! I think a lot of things could solved if everyone would adopt the, "I'm NOT gonna let that bother me!" doctrine. I don't know if I can vote of Obama, cause I just don't know if I can trust him, because of the things he says. And that's unforunate because when I first heard him, I thought, WOW that guy is good. I liked what he says. Then he was topical and on point, but it seems lately when someone asks him about why he said this or that, he kind of backtracks, stammers and studders like he's trying to say the right thing instead of speaking from his heart. I don't know, there is a lot of time between now and November, so we'll see. BUT IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH COLOR!!!! If he is the right MAN that's all that should matter. I hate all the RACIST STUFF but I think RACIAL STUFF makes this ole world more interesting. All the different colors, customs, and cultures of people just make a more brightly colored flower garden!!Wink
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 6:30pm

black guy & black girl in church, getting married.   In the middle of the service, the preacher starts asking about insurance, & utters something like, "can someone help this brotha' out with his insurance?!?"

of course there's a nationwide agent attending, & after they get their insurance, someone utters a loud "hallejulah!!"

This is so horribly stereotypical I was 1/2 expecting a "can a n!gga get some insurance up in heah??  He got to have coverage fo' his babymama!!"

horrible.

JERKY!  Thanks....just spit out my Dunkin Donut's iced coffee while cleaning up after last night's blowout!!!!!LOL
ROTFLMAO......effin' funny.
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Ugh! I've not seen this ad but it sounds horrible. As an African-American, I am insulted by this. Does everyone think that all black churches have screaming preachers, fainting and yelling women wearing ostentatious hats and ghetto speak? I do NOT go to churches like that; I've made it a point to avoid them like the plague. My family never attended churches like that and I'm really glad. Even though they are doing the works of the Lord, I'm really turned off by that kind of preaching.

you didn't see it?   you pretty much described the commercial with 100% accuracy.  I didn't even mention the big floppy hats or women fanning themselves to avoid fainting.  But they were there..

The other indefensible act comes at the end, with the insurance agent letting out an "mmmmm-hhmmmm" while her head is violently bobbing like wanda sykes with parkinson's...
JimA View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 4:24pm

Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

you didn't see it?   you pretty much described the commercial with 100% accuracy.  I didn't even mention the big floppy hats or women fanning themselves to avoid fainting.  But they were there..

The other indefensible act comes at the end, with the insurance agent letting out an "mmmmm-hhmmmm" while her head is violently bobbing like wanda sykes with parkinson's...

Some of that is in the ad. I didn't see a screaming preacher, fainting and yelling women wearing ostentatious hats and ghetto speak. The minister was low-key and did say brother instead of groom, which I have heard before. Nobody fainted or even yelled.  There was a woman wearing a good sized hat and fanning herself, but no one fainted. That same woman said "hallejulah!!", but if you didn't listen for it, you'd miss it.  The insurance agent did do that overworked side to side movement when she finished up. All in all, it wasn't as awful as some here describe it.  I'm trying to put the link to the commercial on YouTube.

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 1:36am

horrible.

LOL For some odd reason I'm picturing Chris Rock saying that.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 3:28am
Originally posted by JimA JimA wrote:

Some of that is in the ad. I didn't see a screaming preacher, fainting and yelling women wearing ostentatious hats and ghetto speak. The minister was low-key and did say brother instead of groom, which I have heard before. Nobody fainted or even yelled.  There was a woman wearing a good sized hat and fanning herself, but no one fainted. That same woman said "hallejulah!!", but if you didn't listen for it, you'd miss it.  The insurance agent did do that overworked side to side movement when she finished up. All in all, it wasn't as awful as some here describe it.  I'm trying to put the link to the commercial on YouTube.
(video here)

how blatant would it have to be for you to consider it awful?  a couple of black guys sitting on a porch eating fried chicken while playing harmonica & talking about how they like women with big a$$es?

just curious...

Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic