Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dixie Paper Plates, mending broken homes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourstringdrums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dixie Paper Plates, mending broken homes.
    Posted: 21 Jun 2008 at 4:52am
I hate hate hate hate hate the new Dixie Paper Plates commercial with the moms talking about how basically, Dixie allows them to be better parents because now they're not slaves to the evil metal pit of family destruction which is the kitchen sink.

The quotes the mom's give basically go like this:

"I need a paper plate that is as strong as I am"

Ok, first, I understand the need for a strong paper plate. I have beige carpet. The last thing I need is when I'm off the diet wagon, for one to buckle under the pressure of my triple decker meatball, salami, bacon, and chili subs on the way back to the tv. But for crying out loud, you're really going to compare your strength as a strong, independent woman to the breaking point of paper disk that allows families to spend less time bonding over the dinner table and more time in front of the tv, then you probably aren't going to win Oprah's Woman of the Year Award.

"My children come first, it's as simple as that"

Thank god because I lie awake at night with the thought of all those children whose mothers neglect them because of their crippling addiction to suds busting.

"If it means having more time to spend with my family and less time washing dishes..."

A Rutgers University study shows that 98% percent of adults who have trauma related to their family upbringing and emotional torment as a child stems from the fact that Lemon Scented Joy was loved and given more attention than Brown Eyed Susie. I for one am glad to see Dixie get angry and be determined to change this shocking statistic.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2008 at 4:49pm
Here's a Dixie paper plate commercial from 1986.  Premise sounds basically the same.

athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2008 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Here's a Dixie paper plate commercial from 1986.  Premise sounds basically the same.

Who's the overly sassy black lady in the voice over?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2008 at 8:55pm
Sounds a little like Della Reese.

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 6:34am

I just heard this ad again! 

So now....we are judged by our paper plate fortitude!!  The following is a general RANT on paper plates.   Wink  Yep I grew up with ones on which you'd place one meatball, an eye-cup-rinse serving of cole slaw, and 2 plastic utensils and the whole guddam mess would fold in half like  a taco and end up in your lap.  But hey now!   Tongue Now...we have "plastic paper plates".   Ehmmmm.....wha???  You buy disposable plates and...you wash them in the dishwasher! Because....they're re-useable!!  LOL

"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
pixiestix View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixiestix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 3:05pm
Yeah, in this day and age every woman I know spends hours slaving away at the sink washing dishes and neglecting her family.  Poor things.  Oh wait, I forgot, every woman I know has a DISHWASHER which requires practically no time to load.  Brace yourself, sometimes their husbands even load it.  I mean, seriously, give me a freakin break.  You would think that with all the current focus on the environment, advertising disposable plates would be sort of frowned on. 
Kiss my artichoke!
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 4:11pm
Okay, adding my .02 here.  I am the rare person who doesn't mind washing dishes.  In fact, I kind of like it.  In fact on top of that, I wash dishes as I use them.  Meaning, by the time dinner is on the table, I've already washed all the cooking dishes and utensils.  Stirred the sauce and poured it onto the spaghetti?  Take a moment and wash out the pan and spoon.  Steaks ready for serving?  Immediately douse the pan with soapy water and scrub it a few times, and drop it on the rack to dry.  Really, it takes seconds to do them that way, rather than saving a pile for later, and because you're washing them before any residue has dried on it's much easier.  And it makes the meal a lot more enjoyable, knowing all the main cleaning is already done.  That said...

Using paper plates for the final meal is the most minor aspect of the dishwashing!  Seriously, considering all the dishware I wash, I find the dishes the easiest.  They're flat, easy to soap up and rinse, and the residue washes right off without a problem.  I've known people who use paper plates for all meals because it "saves time" but then they spend what seems like forever washing a huge pile of cookwear and utensils after the meal (which of course was sitting their in that pile for an hour or two at that point.)

In fact, I prefer regular dishes because I hate having my garbage can fill up with paperwear prematurely (as in, days before trash day.)  That's why commercials like this one bug me too.  Washing dishes is NOT the end-all to family relationships.  That's exactly like the kitchen wipes (or is it paper towel?) commercial that shows a father dancing with his daughter and not stopping as he grabs a paper towel to wipe up a small stain, and how these towels don't let you "miss a second of these precious moments."  Oh, COME ON!!!!  If the majority of people really buy into that, is it any wonder we're raising a generation of "me first, me me me, look at me!!!" kids?  You know, the kids (who grow into adults) who throw a tantrum if they don't hold 100% of your attention every second?
bobwilson1977 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobwilson1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 4:12pm
This ad likely appeals to more conservative families- like Sarah Palin's for example- who insist on having huge litters of kids ( 5,6,7... or more) and thus simply have no time to keep up after their broods. Paper plates are a life saver!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 12:11am
There are simply so many times the household is exhausted, at the end of the day.
Paper plates are 'life savers'...especially when there is no energy left to unload the dishwasher and reload it....
Auggie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 7:23pm
Paper plates are fine for an occassional lazy night, but the commercial advocates using them daily. How many landfills do we need to fill up? Save the paper plates for picnics and BBQs.

Washing dishes takes no time at all. I spend a maximum of 10 minutes a day on dishes. That includes scraping food off the plates, rinsing, loading and unloading the dishwasher. Some days dishes take less than 10 minutes. I'm not neglecting anything to do dishes. I put dishes in the dishwasher after every meal so there isn't a big pile in the sink at the end of the day. I still manage to take care of all the other important things in life. Before dishwashers were common, a lot of time was spent slaving over dirty dishes. Not anymore. It's a dumb commercial.
Soytugitan View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soytugitan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by B.the1st B.the1st wrote:

Okay, adding my .02 here.  I am the rare person who doesn't mind washing dishes.  In fact, I kind of like it.  In fact on top of that, I wash dishes as I use them.  Meaning, by the time dinner is on the table, I've already washed all the cooking dishes and utensils.  Stirred the sauce and poured it onto the spaghetti?  Take a moment and wash out the pan and spoon.  Steaks ready for serving?  Immediately douse the pan with soapy water and scrub it a few times, and drop it on the rack to dry.  Really, it takes seconds to do them that way, rather than saving a pile for later, and because you're washing them before any residue has dried on it's much easier. 

I find the dishes the easiest.  They're flat, easy to soap up and rinse, and the residue washes right off without a problem. 

Ditto. I wouldn't say I LOVE washing pots, pans, and dishes but I do love washing everything a long the way. Paper plates are pretty useless except for making Garage sale signs. And as someone already mentioned, I can't believe with all the environmental awareness money is being spent in advertising paper plates...at least they're not as bad as the plastic plates.

I remember the first time I heard the woman in the commercial say "I need a plate as strong as I am." I almost peed myself! I really thought it was a parody...but it wasn't. Confused

Okay, gotta go study for my test tomorrow....I just got an account on this forum and already I'm addicted! Approve
~Raquel~
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 6:02pm

I have people over for dinner on occasion.  Having the kitchen as "in order" as possible before they arrive, makes the whole thing better for me, and probably more pleasant for guests.  I don't like to show evidence of how much trouble I went through.  So, all I have to do afterwards is wash a few dishes.  Therefore, paper plates wouldn't make much of a difference.

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 12:17am
Paper plates are a great invention but they weren't made for everything. Sooner or later you're gonna have to step it up and buy real plates you lazy bastard especially when you insist on triple decker meatball, salami, bacon, and chili subs like fourstringdrums does.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic