Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pediasure, this is ridiculous!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pediasure, this is ridiculous!
    Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:31pm

What have we become as parents? This mother says her daughter won't eat the things that are good for her, so my doctor suggested Pediasure. In other words "I'm to weak as a mother to make my child eat what's healthy so now because of my bad, permissive parenting her health is now in jeopardy now I can just bandage the problem with this drink". Are you kidding me?
There is a pattern in commercials now where parents are portrayed as being afraid of making their   children eat anything healthy (FiberOne) and if they do it has to taste good to the child and he can't know it's good for him. Drinks are even marketed to adults because vegetables are too "veg-ta-bulee"
There are no short cuts to healthiness. I have a 6yr old daughter, she eats what's in front of her if it takes all day to eat it because it's the right thing to do and i'm looking out for her best interest
These commercials are ridiculous!
Sponsored Links

CNick View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:33pm
sorry I had a hard time posting the video
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:28pm

You tried posting using the entire URL (includiing the "http://...).  All you needed between the tags was the rM7Vfe0UJ-E.

Here 'tis:

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:32pm
I can see catering to the whims of a baby.  But this girl looks to be at least 5, maybe even 6 or 7.  Too old to be given into like that.

CNick View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:07pm
Thanks for the tutorial Thor, i'm computer challenged.
purrpickle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrpickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:34pm
I absolutely agree with everything you said. It's ridiculous, and it makes me furious every time I see commercials like this. Sure, I didn't like everything my parents made, but I knew that was what was for dinner. I don't remember demanding anything else, and I turned out fine and (pretty) healthy. It depresses me that kids're going to see commercials like these and start acting that way because the tv tells them it's okay. Angry
Your friendly neighborhood pickle thief with the heart of a kitten. :}
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by purrpickle purrpickle wrote:

I absolutely agree with everything you said. It's ridiculous, and it makes me furious every time I see commercials like this. Sure, I didn't like everything my parents made, but I knew that was what was for dinner. I don't remember demanding anything else, and I turned out fine and (pretty) healthy. It depresses me that kids're going to see commercials like these and start acting that way because the tv tells them it's okay. Angry

I didn't like/couldn't have certain foods, but I was never advised to drink PediaSure. I ate a lot of vegetables and citrus fruits (maybe that's why I rarely catch a cold...all those oranges I ate when I was young).

I think I was 11 when I started to get into certain foods like Italian Foods (I think since the foods were acidic...I was iffy with Italian foods prior to 1994).

PS-I think it's odd that PediaSure has a bear on the labels.
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 12:15am
This mother says her daughter won't eat the things that are good for her, so my doctor suggested Pediasure. In other words "I'm to weak as a mother to make my child eat what's healthy so now because of my bad, permissive parenting her health is now in jeopardy."

Pretty much got it covered.Ermm
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:34am
There is a time for pediasure, shame they chose this angle to sell their product. My little girl, who is two, is prescribed pediasure due to her status as "failure to thrive" (a blanket term for small children) she has a healthy appetite and would eat just vegetables and fruit all day if we allowed her but she hates most meat. And she loves cheese but toddler constipation is sad and downright dangerous..
 So pediasure kind of keeps her in check. We don't give it every day, it is just a little supplement here and there for the week. Dear thing would rather drink water and apple juice more than anything. But this ad really seems to cater to the picky eater dilemma something which while is a behavioral and personality issue is also a taught behavior. Cece will eventually eat some meat when we pressure her or at times sneak it, but in time she may just decide she is vegetarian ha. But hopefully that will wait till her teen years when she suddenly "finds herself". Then it will be more meat for me!!!

CNick View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:49am
I remember our doctor suggesting using Pediasure for my daughter when she was 2yrs old to help with her constipation along with the right foods. Pediasure can be an aid for children, but as our doctor told us, it's not a subsitute for good food.
Dear View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 9:01am
"Don't like it? Don't eat it. You're not getting anything else for dinner because I'm not a short order cook."

Wise words of my mother. I tried that picky-eater crap with her and I got the same response each time. She shut me -down-. As long as the kid isn't sick, isn't allergic and the food isn't making them retch(certain smells can do this), then they can eat it or go hungry until the next meal.
Please, stop saying "Awesome" in commercials! Your actors are not awe-inspiring and neither is your product.
Serval87 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serval87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 8:05pm
My brother is exactly like that. My parents' let him whatever he wants, and never tries to make him eat anything healthy if he doesn't want it (and he doesn't). He's 11. 
Darkness follows as the siren sings.
Cherry_Carver View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry_Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 6:55am
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

My little girl, who is two, is prescribed pediasure due to her status as "failure to thrive" (a blanket term for small children) she has a healthy appetite and would eat just vegetables and fruit all day if we allowed her but she hates most meat.

Cece will eventually eat some meat when we pressure her or at times sneak it, but in time she may just decide she is vegetarian ha. But hopefully that will wait till her teen years when she suddenly "finds herself". Then it will be more meat for me!!!

I hope you're kidding.  Children don't need meat to thrive.  I hated meat when I was a child and resented my mother for making me eat it.  I loved vegetables and fruit. 
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Cherry_Carver Cherry_Carver wrote:

I hope you're kidding.  Children don't need meat to thrive.  I hated meat when I was a child and resented my mother for making me eat it.  I loved vegetables and fruit. 

I am kind of kidding. I couldn't care less about the love or hate of meat.

My veggie and vegan friends are safe from any ridicule or judgment on my end and they know I am not sucking down a prime rib in front of them any time. 
I try to be respectful of that.

Simply put, Cece needs nutrients and food to thrive. Whether that be meat or cheese or beans. As well as her fruit and vegetable and grains.

She is JUST now liking beans. And like I said she is liking meat here and there.

I won't push it on her too much, like I said, we throw it in stuff and ask her a few times, but otherwise we just move on and let her eat whatever she finds pleases her. Otherwise she wouldn't eat.
Food isn't that important to her, and if that is what makes her tick growing up and she can stay healthy then so be it.  And as far as meat..  we try to offer what has a the easiest path to high proteins and the like. Often that is meat. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 2:24pm
I like chicken and ground beef, and that's about it.  The rest, I could do without.  People sometimes invite me to barbecues with "We're cooking up ribs and steak", as if that stuff is of any interest to me. 

A neighbor tricked me into eating elk stew a few years ago, telling me it was beef.  I was a little annoyed, but he's an old guy who grew up in Montana and doesn't understand how people could not want massive amounts of meat, so I let it slide.  I simply have no need to expand my meat repertoire.  I don't care how good it supposedly tastes.  It's not about that.

smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 1:16am
Jeroboam, your daughter has legitimate medical issues, so I believe Pediasure is justified in her case.  Speaking as someone who was the pickiest eater who ever picked as a child, I think it's reasonable to not expect a parent to cater to a child(although I'm not in favor of forcing them to eat disliked foods or making them sit at the table for hours until they do).  This is what's for dinner; if you don't like it, don't eat it, see ya at breakfast.

Anyone see this one?

This one bothers me for a different reason:  the subtle implication that you're a bad parent if you let your kid eat--horrors!--FRENCH FRIES!!!  You're setting them up for a lifetime of failure!  If the ad implicated that it was a several-times-a-week occurrence, it would be one thing, but I really can't see the harm in maybe once a week, as long as they eat relatively healthy the rest of the time.  I think that if you make unhealthy foods taboo, it can set up a "forbidden fruit" situation and backfire on you.

Of course, I don't have kids, so I'm probably just full of it. Confused
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry_Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 12:21am
Pediasure is GARBAGE.  Your children would be better nourished if they drank a chocolate malted milkshake every day. 

Pediasure list of ingredients:

WATER, SUGAR (SUCROSE), MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY OIL, SHORT-CHAIN FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE; LESS THAN 0.5% OF: CELLULOSE GEL, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, POTASSIUM CITRATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT (SODIUM CHLORIDE), POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CELLULOSE GUM, CALCIUM CARBONATE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, ASCORBIC ACID, CARRAGEENAN, SOY LECITHIN, MONOGLYCERIDES, m-INOSITOL, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, TAURINE, FERROUS SULFATE, dl-ALPHA-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, L-CARNITINE, ZINC SULFATE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, NIACINAMIDE, MANGANESE SULFATE, THIAMIN CHLORIDE HYDROCHLORIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, CUPRIC SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, POTASSIUM IODIDE, SODIUM SELENATE, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, PHYLLOQUINONE, VITAMIN D3, AND CYANOCOBALAMIN.

SOURCE:
http://www.thatsjustme.com/2010/10/pediasure-sidekicks-who-feeds-this-stuff-to-their-kids/
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 4:55am
Back when I was younger, you ate whatever the hell you found on the table when it came time to eat a meal.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 2:13pm
Cherry, as frightening as those ingredients may sound, they're mostly just vitamins.

Purplesun83 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purplesun83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Dear Dear wrote:

"Don't like it? Don't eat it. You're not getting anything else for dinner because I'm not a short order cook."

Wise words of my mother. I tried that picky-eater crap with her and I got the same response each time. She shut me -down-. As long as the kid isn't sick, isn't allergic and the food isn't making them retch(certain smells can do this), then they can eat it or go hungry until the next meal.

I tell this to my brother all the time because his 8-year-old tries pulling that crap every time she comes to my house. You eat what I cook or you don't eat at all, simple. My daughter is a very adventurous eater because I taught her that she needs to try foods at least once.
TheBoomMan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBoomMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 1:38pm
I tried this product and it smelled like some cat pissed all over the rug.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by purrpickle purrpickle wrote:

Yeah, when I was a kid if I turned my nose up at what my grandmother had made for dinner she'd say "Well, go to bed hungry!".

I only did that once. Whats up with parents being spineless in these commercials?
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 11:53pm
My mom made my little brother sit at the table for 4 hours when we were little because he wouldn't eat his peas. Lol. He finally fell asleep without eating them and my mom put him to bed. I think I remember laughing at him while he sat there with that sad, sad look on his face. Hehehehe
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry_Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Cherry, as frightening as those ingredients may sound, they're mostly just vitamins.

Read carefully. The first six ingredients comprise the majority of the glop (NO vitamins):

WATER, SUGAR (SUCROSE), MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY OIL, SHORT-CHAIN FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE;

and THEN:

LESS THAN 0.5% OF: CELLULOSE GEL, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, POTASSIUM CITRATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT (SODIUM CHLORIDE), POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CELLULOSE GUM, CALCIUM CARBONATE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, ASCORBIC ACID, CARRAGEENAN, SOY LECITHIN, MONOGLYCERIDES, m-INOSITOL, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, TAURINE, FERROUS SULFATE, dl-ALPHA-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, L-CARNITINE, ZINC SULFATE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, NIACINAMIDE, MANGANESE SULFATE, THIAMIN CHLORIDE HYDROCHLORIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, CUPRIC SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, POTASSIUM IODIDE, SODIUM SELENATE, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, PHYLLOQUINONE, VITAMIN D3, AND CYANOCOBALAMIN.

Garbage.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 7:30pm
Water: We all need hydration. It doesn't get much better than water for that.
Sugar: Nothing wrong with sugar in small quantities. It's important to remember that - in spite of everything that's said and contradicted to-day, Sugar is simply a carb, and so long as the kid OR adult isn't eating massive quantities that put them 1000+ calories over their require intake on a daily basis, it's really not going to cause major problems. Weight gain and loss is simple calories in versus calories out, and if the kid is active (And let's be honest, what 5 year old isn't extremely active), a treat with a little sugar isn't instantly bad.

Milk Protein Concentrate: Last I checked, protein is GOOD, in fact it's necessary for a balanced diet, more so than micronutrients (Vitamins, as you say).

Short-chain Fructooligosaccharides: Are naturally occuring in wonderful foods like onions, chicory, asparagus, and even some not-so-wonderful foods like wheat. They aid in the production of health-boosting digestive bacteria, as well as inhibiting the growth of dangerous species.

The only thing dubious is the Soy products, but even then, I'd say it wouldn't affect a child at that age as much as it would in teen years, when hormonal production and balance is far more important to growth.

The less that.5 percent thing really doesn't mean anything. They're called MICROnutrients for a reason. The ammounts a small child needs are far less than what a fully-grown adult needs, and we really only need small numbers of these.

I've been raised by a mother VERY into organic food, natural food, and staying away from questionable artificial ingredients. HOWEVER, she also has a degree in Health and Safety, and thus actually goes to the effort to RESEARCH things.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic