Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allstate 'Ramen Noodle Budget'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allstate 'Ramen Noodle Budget'
    Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 3:55pm
I can't find the video for this one yet, I will try again later for that. But this one drives me insane! The regular allstate announcer (not Mayhem) comes on saying, "So and so was on a ramen noodle every night budget and thought she couldn't afford car insurance". I'm sorry, you're living in what looks like a city and you're on a "ramen noodle budget" and you're still DRIVING to get around? Meaning, you still can't afford to feed yourself on more than 60 cents a night, and yet you are still willing to pay for gas, parking, allstate's insurance, and car maintenance? I would understand more if it looked like the setting was out in the country, but most urban settings have some kind of mass transportation.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Sponsored Links

Dear View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 9:57pm
Her car looks pretty nice, too. I've been on a ramen noodle budget before(actually, 70cent taco budget) and when you're on a budget -that- tight, you're damn lucky to have enough money to take a bus, let alone have a shiny, new looking car(and the gas that comes with it)
This commercial just annoys me. Thumbs Down Bring back Mayhem guy. I haven't seen him in a while.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Dear Dear wrote:

Her car looks pretty nice, too. I've been on a ramen noodle budget before(actually, 70cent taco budget) and when you're on a budget -that- tight, you're damn lucky to have enough money to take a bus, let alone have a shiny, new looking car(and the gas that comes with it)
This commercial just annoys me. Thumbs Down Bring back Mayhem guy. I haven't seen him in a while.
First - check out the last post in this thread - there are a few BRAND NEW 'Mayhem' commercials ('Toilet' and 'Raccoon')...
~~~
Now...to this idiotic commercial that Y found - and I've seen once:
Yea, I've always thought Dennis Haysbert went and got himself assasinated on '24' (he was 'President Palmer') because AllState offered better money and his 'wife' on '24' was a conniving biatch. Who wouldn't wanna sign up for a better job?
This commercial is troublesome of course. If you can only afford a 16 cent bag of ramen noodles, why and how are you driving to begin with? Your car clearly eats better than you do.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Dear View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by Dear Dear wrote:

First - check out the last post in this thread - there are a few BRAND NEW 'Mayhem' commercials ('Toilet' and 'Raccoon')...
~~~

Thank you kindly! Star These haven't aired in my neck of the woods yet.
Please, stop saying "Awesome" in commercials! Your actors are not awe-inspiring and neither is your product.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:22am
I hate the way she admires herself in the mirror.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:34am
Aside from that, I hate anything to do with Allstate.

Used to have them as my homeowners company, until they decided it would be a good business move to drop a few thousand customers in Florida after the '04 hurricanes.

So, after having paid my premiums on time & in full for some five years & having never filed one nickel in claims, they dropped me like a used McDonald's bag.

Screw Allstate.

Assholes.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:59am
I'm so tired of the "poor college student lives on ramen" stereotype. I've known a LOT of poor college kids and I can't think of one that survived on ramen. Most had friends who worked in fast food who would bring home free meals. They're just grasping at straws to make my demographic relate to them. Here's a clue, STOP MENTIONING RAMEN NOODLES. It's pathetic, it shows you don't honestly have a clue about things.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:24am
I used to eat Ramen noodles all the time when I was in college.

But not because I couldn't afford anything else.

I ate them because I was under the impression that eating them with Wheatsworth crackers (which you could actually afford to buy back then) was a good way to keep my weight down.

Which I did, but that was because I didn't eat very much in general. I used to enjoy feeling hungry.

I didn't know back then how full of fat & sodium Ramens were.

But I liked them.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:31am

One can take an unopened bag of ramen noodles, crush it a few times with their fist, carefully open the top and take out the flavor packet and empty it back into the bag...then, while holding the top shut, shake the bag briskly. then open and enjoy!

Better than Lays Potato Chips.

Favorite of inmates everywhere. 
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
purrpickle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrpickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 7:09am
I just want to say that she looks nowhere near like someone who would have to be on a 'Ramen Noodle Budget'. She obviously has very nice makeup, clothing, and jewelry. I'm probably stereotyping horribly, but she doesn't look 'poor' at all. Anyone catch the make of her car?
Your friendly neighborhood pickle thief with the heart of a kitten. :}
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by purrpickle purrpickle wrote:

Anyone catch the make of her car?

Who could tell? They all look pretty much the same nowadays.

C'mon, man!
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 2:38pm

I'm pushing 40 & still eat ramen noodles at work for lunch quite a bit.  I like them..  Of course, now I buy the "gourmet" noodles that are more like $.79 each instead of $.15 each.

Seriously, though, try these sometime -they are excellent..

http://www.amazon.com/Nong-Shim-Noodle-Kimchi-3-03-Ounce/dp/B000LQNK5A

Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 2:54pm
I'd still be eating them (excellent snack) but I read how bad they are and, well, at my age, one thinks about these things.  Sometimes.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by jerkylips jerkylips wrote:

I'm pushing 40 & still eat ramen noodles at work for lunch quite a bit.  I like them..  Of course, now I buy the "gourmet" noodles that are more like $.79 each instead of $.15 each.

Seriously, though, try these sometime -they are excellent..

http://www.amazon.com/Nong-Shim-Noodle-Kimchi-3-03-Ounce/dp/B000LQNK5A

If you like noodles, check around where you live for a little oriental market.

We have several around here. You can go in one of those places & find every kind of oriental noodle imaginable.

I used to get these kind that were similar to Ramens, but not quite. They came in little rolled up bunches, several bunches to a bag. Just put them in some hot water, let them soften, then add whatever you want. Powdered soup mix, vegetables, a little meat, etc.

Delicious & cheap.

They have rice noodles also.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'd still be eating them (excellent snack) but I read how bad they are and, well, at my age, one thinks about these things.  Sometimes.

Wink...yuppers. Like, well..when I'm not hungry.
I used to gobble ramen noodles - MissyDWolf taught me the 'Jail Method' (she told me that ramen noodles were easy to get - people couldn't hurt each other with them), which was actually pretty darned good. Otherwise, I'd boil some up and crack an egg directly into them and add in some cut scallions. Yummers!
All the same, very unhealthy yummers for a person. 
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:06pm

I just want to say that she looks nowhere near like someone who would have to be on a 'Ramen Noodle Budget'. She obviously has very nice makeup, clothing, and jewelry. I'm probably stereotyping horribly, but she doesn't look 'poor' at all. Anyone catch the make of her car?

That's what I was thinking when I saw the commercial.  Her earrings alone she could cash in and have enough money to buy a nice full course dinner every night for a week .. or a 10 year supply of Ramen Noodles.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:45pm
The insurance companies just keep shoveling more bullsh*t our way.  They all suck, I don't  know about the noodle thing. 
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 1:31am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

One can take an unopened bag of ramen noodles, crush it a few times with their fist, carefully open the top and take out the flavor packet and empty it back into the bag...then, while holding the top shut, shake the bag briskly. then open and enjoy!

Better than Lays Potato Chips.

Favorite of inmates everywhere. 

I'm no inmate, but I LOVE to have Ramen noodles like that!!! YUM!

Another good way to have them is to cook said noodles, drain the water, then sprinkle the seasoning on them. It's like seasoned spaghetti. If you're a salt fiend.... it's the best way to eat them. No water to thin out the sodium. LOL
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 4:50am
Originally posted by KrissyBean KrissyBean wrote:

Another good way to have them is to cook said noodles, drain the water, then sprinkle the seasoning on them. It's like seasoned spaghetti. If you're a salt fiend.... it's the best way to eat them. No water to thin out the sodium. LOL

That's the way I've ALWAYS eaten them. No soup!!!

Here's an idea.... drain the water off, toss the spice packet (or save it to season something else) & pour SPAGHETTI SAUCE all over them. Even add some ground beef, ground turkey or even susage.

Have it with a little garlic bread & YUMMERS!!!!!

I call it "Ramenghetti".

It's D-Lish.

C'mon, man!
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

That's the way I've ALWAYS eaten them. No soup!!!

Here's an idea.... drain the water off, toss the spice packet (or save it to season something else) & pour SPAGHETTI SAUCE all over them. Even add some ground beef, ground turkey or even susage.

Have it with a little garlic bread & YUMMERS!!!!!

I call it "Ramenghetti".

It's D-Lish.

I've never done that before. I'm Italian.... so I don't know if I can bring myself to pour my homemade sauce over Ramen noodles.... but hey, there's a first time for everything. Right? 

I do like that name you gave it, though. Ramenghetti. LOL
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 1:42pm

I've never done that before. I'm Italian.... so I don't know if I can bring myself to pour my homemade sauce over Ramen noodles.... but hey, there's a first time for everything. Right? 

Same here, Krissy.

Really, Jimbo---it takes maybe 10 or 15 minutes to boil the water and cook some actual spaghetti.  The thought of sauce over Ramen noodles makes me wanna gag.

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 3:46pm

She's on a ramen noodle budget because it's all she can afford after spending a buttload of money on her car insurance and personal upkeep. Lady, is it REALLY that important to have all that jewelry and makeup and a car? I'd use those dollars to get a decent meal.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 3:56pm

I do like that name you gave it, though. Ramenghetti. LOL

Oh, I just use cheap jar sauce.

Give it a try.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 4:09pm

Same here, Krissy.

Really, Jimbo---it takes maybe 10 or 15 minutes to boil the water and cook some actual spaghetti.   

And it takes about 1 or 2 minutes to boil the water & cook up a pack of Ramens.

The thought of sauce over Ramen noodles makes me wanna gag.

This coming from the guy who scarfs up Dollar Tree "meat" balls like they're going out of style.

Which reminds me.... try making some Ramenghetti with a bunch of those dollar store meatballs in it.

Smush some of em up like ground beef. Tongue

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

This coming from the guy who scarfs up Dollar Tree "meat" balls like they're going out of style.

Which reminds me.... try making some Ramenghetti with a bunch of those dollar store meatballs in it.

Smush some of em up like ground beef. Tongue

I gave up the Dollar Tree chicken meatballs a while ago.  There are better brands.  You have to buy them in larger quantities, but are ultimately about the same price.  Plus, they're made of beef.

Often, I just make my own---meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, Romano cheese, water, oregano, garlic, parsley.  I brown 'em partially, and then finish cooking 'em in tomato sauce.  Sometimes I make 'em with sausage rather than ground beef.  Or a combo.  Mmmmm, mmmm.

Really, Jimbo---you oughta try it.  You'll like 'em waaaay better than anything pre-cooked.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic