Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'MTV Is A Joke' Music Video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'MTV Is A Joke' Music Video
    Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 10:16pm

If it's got wings, i can crash it!
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 9:38pm
I lost interest in MTV when they started playing rap and disco and hair metal and other music I wasn't interested in.  So, MTV lost me long before they got into reality shows.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 10:53pm
I stopped watching MTV by the mid 80's.

Around the time bands like Bon Jovi, Poison, White Snake, Great White, etc. etc. began dominating the music scene.

The early 80's was their heyday.

Peter Gabriel, Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, Tears For Fears, Stray Cats, Def Leppard, The Clash, Billy Idol, Men At Work, Genesis, Culture Club,  The Go-Go's, Huey Lewis & The News, Loverboy, Mr. Mister, Till Tuesday, Kim Wilde, Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benatar, Soft Cell.....

Those are pretty much the bands I think of when I think of the days when I actually watched MTV.

And of course, the original "VJ's"....

I always had the hots for Martha Quinn. Tongue

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 1:24am
Just in time for MTV's BIG 3-0 in a few weeks!  Clap

RIP J.J Jackson. Cry
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 1:44am
I watched their 25th anniversary thing, in which they aired the videos they aired when the station began---all day long.  It sucked.  There's just so much Do Ya Think I'm Sexy and Video Killed the Radio Star one can stomach.

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 2:26am
There's always VH1 Classic but I think the Fonz is warming up his motorcycle and Mr. Jaws is swimming toward the ramp....
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 2:30am
Originally posted by timdubya timdubya wrote:

There's always VH1 Classic but I think the Fonz is warming up his motorcycle and Mr. Jaws is swimming toward the ramp....

The way they show 80s videos SUCKS now, with all the logos and "download this song as a ringtone" crap.  Classic much?  Don't think so.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 1:58pm
Music has become really cheapened over the past few decades.  I'm not talking about the music itself.  I'm talking about the use of music as ringtones, Youtube videos and parodies, filesharing, the preponderance of music in commercials, TV and movies, etc.  I'm thinking it all started with MTV.  It's all so readily available and ubiquitous and downloadable and delete-able, that there's nothing special about it anymore.  I remember buying albums/45s, and actually valuing them---cleaning 'em, making sure they're put back in their jackets, making sure they don't get scratches, looking at the artwork, reading lyric sheets, etc.  Nowadays, it all just seems like white noise to me.

That rap thing in the video above---is that a song or something?  Did someone just throw it together for the purpose of the video?  Does anyone know or care who wrote it or recorded it?  Has anyone ever performed it live?  If it's an actual song, will anyone remember it five years from now?

TeamEdward1976 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamEdward1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 7:49am
QUOTE=mbaker]

[/QUOTE]ClapClapLOLI agree!MTV,VH1,CMT,and all those so-called-music channels are a joke now!
Julie
TeamEdward1976 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamEdward1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Music has become really cheapened over the past few decades.  I'm not talking about the music itself.  I'm talking about the use of music as ringtones, Youtube videos and parodies, filesharing, the preponderance of music in commercials, TV and movies, etc.  I'm thinking it all started with MTV.  It's all so readily available and ubiquitous and downloadable and delete-able, that there's nothing special about it anymore.  I remember buying albums/45s, and actually valuing them---cleaning 'em, making sure they're put back in their jackets, making sure they don't get scratches, looking at the artwork, reading lyric sheets, etc.  Nowadays, it all just seems like white noise to me.

That rap thing in the video above---is that a song or something?  Did someone just throw it together for the purpose of the video?  Does anyone know or care who wrote it or recorded it?  Has anyone ever performed it live?  If it's an actual song, will anyone remember it five years from now?

Actually,it's a parody of the rap group Public Enemy's" 911's a Joke".
Julie
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:39am
Okay then...just as I said.  A Youtube parody.  Cheap.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:55am
Music today is just another product for some people to buy & other people to profit from.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 2:50pm
Music videos were the worst thing that happened to music.
Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:57pm

Blame the variety of media outlets that have come along since MTV was born, with too much 'corporate synergy'  among the conglomerates that own cable channels and other media. If the MTV crap was only promoted on that channel, or elsewhere through conventional advertising, it wouldn't grate on our nerves as much. But when every TV cable news show mentions all these reality-show tards as if they matter, and every internet provider's home page is cluttered with 'Entertainment news' about Snooki,or the Tardasshatians, you almost have to go 'off the grid' to escape any references to this so-called 'pop culture'. 

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 2:54pm
Here's another! Wink

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by 70s80s 70s80s wrote:

RIP J.J Jackson. Cry

He was in his 40s when he became a VJ on MTV.  I can't imagine that happening nowadays.  Seems "mid-20s" would be the end of the MTV line nowadays.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Obie Obie wrote:

Blame the variety of media outlets that have come along since MTV was born, with too much 'corporate synergy'  among the conglomerates that own cable channels and other media. If the MTV crap was only promoted on that channel, or elsewhere through conventional advertising, it wouldn't grate on our nerves as much. But when every TV cable news show mentions all these reality-show tards as if they matter, and every internet provider's home page is cluttered with 'Entertainment news' about Snooki,or the Tardasshatians, you almost have to go 'off the grid' to escape any references to this so-called 'pop culture'. 

Yep.  I never tune into Jersey Shore or the Kardashians, yet somehow, I know all about them.

Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 5:42pm
Same with the 'Real Housewives of Wherever', especially since that one(or 'ex-Housewife') who split up with Kelsey Grammer became a media whore(as opposed to the other kind)LOL
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 8:01pm
You're both preaching to the choir. I know 10 times more than I want to about the personal lives of family members and acquaintances, AND celebrities (including that masochistic "People who are a million times richer than you" area that I've harped on before). As I said elsewhere, I managed to be incredibly uninformed about Casey Anthony, but I'm still wondering how I managed that one.
Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 11:54pm
Until the last week or two of the case, you pretty much had to watch Nancy Grace on 'HLN' or whoever's on 'The Channel Formerly Known As Court TV', for daily coverage. The other channels discussed it a little each day, but didn't go wall to wall with it til closing arguments.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 3:48am
ConfusedOther than for 'Beavis & Butthead' (which I actually used to make the pups turn off, but then I would hide and watch) and occasional 'Jackass' episodes, I don't remember ever watching MTV.
Beavis & Butthead returning in the fall (I'm sooo excited! huh huh huh huh huh huh...):
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic