Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jake from State Farm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IronKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jake from State Farm
    Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 3:02am

Who calls an insurance company at 3 am for no reason?

Who acts like they are turned on by good insurance?

Heck, it would've even been kinda funny if they'd stopped before the "well she's a guy, so..."
Ummm, we already knew that.

At least its better than that annoying Magic Jingle "Lihke a gud neighbur, Stayte Fahrm is---THEYR!"

And can I get a hot tub!!!
Sponsored Links

purrpickle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrpickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 3:14am
Yes, the "And can I get a hot tub!!!" is super annoying.

But I actually get a kick out of this commercial. Smile
Your friendly neighborhood pickle thief with the heart of a kitten. :}
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by purrpickle purrpickle wrote:

Yes, the "And can I get a hot tub!!!" is super annoying

Not as annoying as "with a new boyfriend!" IMO.  I'm so glad they don't air that one here near as much anymore, if they even do at all anymore.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 1:03am
Originally posted by IronKnight IronKnight wrote:

Who calls an insurance company at 3 am for no reason?

Who acts like they are turned on by good insurance?

Heck, it would've even been kinda funny if they'd stopped before the "well she's a guy, so..."
Ummm, we already knew that.

At least its better than that annoying Magic Jingle "Lihke a gud neighbur, Stayte Fahrm is---THEYR!"

Big smile!!!
THANK YOU, IronKnight - THIS is one quite strange commercial - personally, it is one I've been 'concerned' about (but actually, I like it because it is SO darned strange).

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
SeanyGenovese View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyGenovese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 8:49am
Why is he standing there groaning the words under his breath? Not helping his case at all...
Conforming To Abnormality
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Originally posted by purrpickle purrpickle wrote:

Yes, the "And can I get a hot tub!!!" is super annoying

Not as annoying as "with a new boyfriend!" IMO.  I'm so glad they don't air that one here near as much anymore, if they even do at all anymore.

I haven't seen any of those gawd-awful "Can I get a hot tub" commercials in awhile. I wonder if they pulled them because people hated them? It would make me feel better to know that, but I don't know if companies like State Farm keep track of how people react to their ads.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 11:52pm
I actually like this commercial. Though lord help the guy for being with a woman that suspicious. 
prolefeedprocessor View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prolefeedprocessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 2:50am

"What are you wearing, Jake?" reminded me of the end of this.
Agent_Sometime View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agent_Sometime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:40am
I actually like this commercial because they're making the girl look like an idiot for a change.
drakkonia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakkonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 12:42pm
It's Jake.......from State Farm.  I can't stand the way he pauses after he says Jake, it drives me nuts!  And why would the wife care what the person on the other end of the phone is wearing?
prolefeedprocessor View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prolefeedprocessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by drakkonia drakkonia wrote:

And why would the wife care what the person on the other end of the phone is wearing?

The whole premise is that she thinks her husband is talking to another woman, i.e. cheating.
Ultron 5 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultron 5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 12:09am
The husband seems pretty brain dead.....
I comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.
drakkonia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakkonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 1:19am
Originally posted by prolefeedprocessor prolefeedprocessor wrote:

And why would the wife care what the person on the other end of the phone is wearing?

The whole premise is that she thinks her husband is talking to another woman, i.e. cheating.

I get that.  But if I thought my husband was cheating, I wouldn't be asking the girl what she's wearing, even if it was in an attempt to mock their conversation.  I'd be screaming obscenities.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 2:15pm

"What are you wearing, Jake?" reminded me of the end of this.

Is this commercial actually for real?  It seems like a parody.

Grey Manakin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Manakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 2:00am

I get that.  But if I thought my husband was cheating, I wouldn't be asking the girl what she's wearing, even if it was in an attempt to mock their conversation.  I'd be screaming obscenities.

...Which they can't do on national television. Give them SOME credit.

The "With a new boyfriend" commercial is actually the ONLY State Farm commercial that annoys me simply because she then turns around and gets pissed when her boyfriend does the same thing to her.
PotsNFlotsam View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PotsNFlotsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 11:19pm
I seem to hate this one for different reasons than the rest of you.  They repeat "Jake, from State Farm" four times.  Four goddamn times.  We get it it's a State Farm commercial you obtuse hacks.
dutchman063 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutchman063 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 12:11am
Originally posted by IronKnight IronKnight wrote:

Who calls an insurance company at 3 am for no reason? Someone working graveyard or an insomniac? alot of people awake at 3am

Who acts like they are turned on by good insurance? I happen to like great insurance rates..lets face it we have to have it so why not be happy when we get a great rate?

Ummm, we already knew that.  I thought that was the best part because he was telling his wife how stupid she was for asking him that

This commercial i actually like because as someone already mentioned it makes the FEMALE look moronic for once instead of the guy
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 1:40am
Originally posted by dutchman063 dutchman063 wrote:

This commercial i actually like because as someone already mentioned it makes the FEMALE look moronic for once instead of the guy

I thought that too when I first saw it. It is a breath of fresh air in that regard.

Hundreds of threads killed.
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 1:56am
Another vote for "like." For one thing, if my husband was whispering on the phone @ 3am, I'd also be suspicious.

Why is this guy on the phone with the insurance company @ 3am? To show that you CAN call @ 3am if need be. Most likely, it would be after a tornado, or flood, or lightning strike- a *realistic* scenario would be a little depressing. At least they make it funny. Like maybe the guy couldn't sleep, and decided to cross "call insurance company" off his list to see about better rates.

Also, something about how the lines are delivered, even if they are repetitive, is neat. Reminds me of the old Swiss Fudge Cookies commercial: Husband comes home and says, "Happy anniversarrrrreeee! Guess what I got you?"

Wife: Swiss Fudge Cookies?

Husband: No, a pearl necklace!

Wife: Ohhhh......

Husband: Guess what else?

Wife: Swiss Fudge Cookies?!?!

Husband: No! A fur coat!

Wife: (peeking into husband's coat) No cookies?
rebelmisfit View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelmisfit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 2:52am
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

I thought that too when I first saw it. It is a breath of fresh air in that regard.

Yes, I thought I was the only one who noticed that it's always the guy that's stupid, or dad.  
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by rebelmisfit rebelmisfit wrote:

Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

Yes, I thought I was the only one who noticed that it's always the guy that's stupid, or dad.  

LOLLOLLOL
Hardly. You're in good company here...use the search tool above and look for "stupid husband", "dumb husband" "yoplait", etc. It is a recurring theme here...mostly because it seems to be the #1 plot device for most TV ad campaigns in the last 10 years or so. I think every member of this board--at least the males--has ranted about this at one time or another.
Hundreds of threads killed.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 6:13pm

Jake should tell the husband "It's 3 in the morning and you're calling an insurance company to talk about rates? Get a life, you nutsack!" 

Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by PotsNFlotsam PotsNFlotsam wrote:

I seem to hate this one for different reasons than the rest of you.  They repeat "Jake, from State Farm" four times.  Four goddamn times.  We get it it's a State Farm commercial you obtuse hacks.

That's the worst part of this. I especially hate the "I said it's jake....from state farm". It's like a copy and paste audio from the first time he said it, it's so ODD, I hate it!

Why in the hell is this guy talking on the phone at 3am anyway? Also why does everyone in this ad have to be so god damn ugly? The dude on the phone is nasty, the wife is a hag, and jake is a schlub. I hate state farm so much right now.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 7:54pm
What if he were talking with Jennifer from State Farm @ 3:00am?
HatyMcHater View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote HatyMcHater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Agent_Sometime Agent_Sometime wrote:

I actually like this commercial because they're making the girl look like an idiot for a change.

Well, if that's what you want (and, by the way, if you are talking about female adults, the word is "woman", not "girl"), you have PLENTY to choose from. All you have to do is switch on the TV and within 5 minutes you will see ads obviously written by people who would like to see women (most of whom have demanding jobs today) go back to June Cleaver days, so stupid that they happy to do mindless tasks that are so far beneath men that you almost never see them doing them at all, let alone happily. These addle-brained women sing and dance and talk with their friends about how happy they are because some laundry detergent makes washing hubby's dirty shirts a joy, women thrilled to use this or that paper towel to clean up messes made by everyone else in the family. When was the last time you saw an ad featuring a half dozen men attesting to how much they like how clean their toilet paper gets them and their families, or talking about how well their body parts fit into their underwear? These addle-brains also take great care to stay slim and trim and pretty (and young, miraculously) even when they are married to lazy ugly average Joes, since they don't have anything else to offer.  They consider exchanging lovin' for a nice shiny piece of jewelry that their own salaries probably helped buy to be a perfectly natural way to relate to their hubbies.

If you haven't seen 10 "idiot woman ads" for every "idiot man" ad, you aren't looking very hard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic