Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sears Appliances "Wake Up Call"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sears Appliances "Wake Up Call"
    Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 6:19am

First off, the people looking to buy this house aren't too bright. They're buying a foreclosure with NO appliances.

Second, who cares if Sears is the only store that offers the Kenmore brand? Most people know they're just washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc. made by other major brands, just rebadged. People aren't that brand loyal anymore.

Sears knows they're losing market share and becoming less relevant. Rather than spending all that money on obnoxious commercials, maybe they should use it to improve the customer experience.
Sponsored Links

purrpickle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrpickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 10:18am
What I dislike about the commercial is the Sears' guy's smug "Cold, hard facts up in here."

Also, the way he says it makes it seem like Kenmore is the 11th most popular/bestselling brand. Pleh. I see this too often.
Your friendly neighborhood pickle thief with the heart of a kitten. :}
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by DesertX DesertX wrote:

First off, the people looking to buy this house aren't too bright. They're buying a foreclosure with NO appliances.

Second, who cares if Sears is the only store that offers the Kenmore brand? Most people know they're just washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc. made by other major brands, just rebadged. People aren't that brand loyal anymore.

Sears knows they're losing market share and becoming less relevant. Rather than spending all that money on obnoxious commercials, maybe they should use it to improve the customer experience.

How do you know its a foreclosure?

Anyway, I hate this commercial too. The guy in the commercial is trying too hard to sound like Lance Reddick and I think that was the idea. Sears customer service does suck. When we bough our house last year we went to Sears for appliances and they told us...no joke...to make an appointment. I promptly told the guy "I guess you don't wanna, you, SELL stuff. Ok. Seeya"...as we turned to leave the guy starts telling us how they have a whole department set up to sell appliances to new home buyers and I had to return with "Why should I make an appointment? I'm here now. Its f*ckin 10 in the morning. I can take my happy ass and wad of money a half mile down the street to Lowes and Home Depot. But you want an appointment? Man, you guys are stupid."

Its not like I take my clothes out of the dryer and lament that its not a kenmore. Cry
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 2:33pm
When I bought my house, I went to Sears for a washer, dryer, refrigerator and lawnmower.  I looked around for about 1/2 hour, went to a salesman, and basically said "I want that, that, that and that".  I didn't need to research everything and didn't want to go to a dozen stores.  I knew what I wanted and was willing to spend, and just found the items that fit the bill.  Plus, I wanted it all delivered at once so I could just be done with it.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 8:55pm
Why the lady breast feeding the kid?Dead  Why not have a normal house phone ringing instead of a phone in the garbage disposal? Silly.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 9:23pm
The ad company's brainstorm session probably had a woman breastfeeding in the meeting.  
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

When I bought my house, I went to Sears for a washer, dryer, refrigerator and lawnmower.  I looked around for about 1/2 hour, went to a salesman, and basically said "I want that, that, that and that".  I didn't need to research everything and didn't want to go to a dozen stores.  I knew what I wanted and was willing to spend, and just found the items that fit the bill.  Plus, I wanted it all delivered at once so I could just be done with it.

Which is what I did at Lowes. Hey, Sears coulda made a sell....they just screwed it up. Now our contractor building our new house (the tornado in april destroyed our home) says he gets appliances from Sears. My wife wants me to ask him if we can use Lowes or Home Depot. Sears left a bad taste in our mouths, and we'd rather not give them the business.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 9:36pm
d4...I'd be annoyed, too, if I had to make an appointment.  I'm not a fan of salesmen trying to sell me on the more expensive product.  I bought my car that way, too.  I opted for a low mileage, 1 year-old vehicle because it was what I wanted, $9,000 less than the new ones, and I wanted to deal as little as possible with salesmen.  As it was, they tried like hell to sell me their $2,000 service package.

I mighta picked Lowe's, too, had it not been for the fact that they were just beginning construction on the one in my area.  Also, Sears was real close and I knew where it was, etc.  Simple as that.

Sorry to hear about the tornado.  What a living hell that musta been.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Why the lady breast feeding the kid?Dead  Why not have a normal house phone ringing instead of a phone in the garbage disposal? Silly.

The kid's just kinda plastered motionless to her chest.  Perhaps it's dead.

drakkonia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakkonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 10:23pm
"Up in here" is a phrase that needs to die.  Why does he have to say It's raining cold, hard facts up in here?  Why not just "in here"?  Is it because he's black and that's the way ad agencies think black people talk?  This ad also comes complete with "dumb skinny white guy" who sticks his hand into a garbage disposal to answer a phone.  Are we all just walking stereotypes to these marketing execs?
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

d4...I'd be annoyed, too, if I had to make an appointment.  I'm not a fan of salesmen trying to sell me on the more expensive product.  I bought my car that way, too.  I opted for a low mileage, 1 year-old vehicle because it was what I wanted, $9,000 less than the new ones, and I wanted to deal as little as possible with salesmen.  As it was, they tried like hell to sell me their $2,000 service package.

I mighta picked Lowe's, too, had it not been for the fact that they were just beginning construction on the one in my area.  Also, Sears was real close and I knew where it was, etc.  Simple as that.

Sorry to hear about the tornado.  What a living hell that musta been.

Thor... (and man, I wish I had that name here...although I'm as far from scandinavian as I can possibly get) Thanks. Yeah, it was and still is hell. We went from homeowners to apartment dwellers....and we were lucky! (We did get out alive, and the tornado practically went right over our house. People that witnessed it were amazed that we were alive)

But Sears did piss me off with the appointment thing. So, as my wife hears me say often, they go on the list of businesses that I won't deal with unless I have no choice at all. I have choices, so Sears can stop wasting time even trying. This stupid commercial only helps cement my view. And to answer the question asked below your post...Yes...ad execs DO think we're idiots. (maybe we are....a humorous commercial can have an effect. But a bad one can have the opposite.)
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 2:05am
I like that she HAS HER BABY IN A SLING! It's so cute! And babies need to eat because if they don't, they will scream and yell and people will complain about that, but they will complain about boobage because people are never satisfied.
But YAY! Carrying babies in a sling and breastfeeding! I like this ad!
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 2:06am
Originally posted by drakkonia drakkonia wrote:

"Up in here" is a phrase that needs to die.  Why does he have to say It's raining cold, hard facts up in here?  Why not just "in here"?  Is it because he's black and that's the way ad agencies think black people talk?  This ad also comes complete with "dumb skinny white guy" who sticks his hand into a garbage disposal to answer a phone.  Are we all just walking stereotypes to these marketing execs?

Why, yes. Yes we are. Haven't you figured that out yet? We are demographics to them.
That means that all women like pink, men like blue and punching people and acting stupid, Women are right all the time and have to clean after dumb men and all black people are SASSY and say up in here and mmmm hmmm.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 2:45am
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

Originally posted by DesertX DesertX wrote:

How do you know its a foreclosure?

Anyway, I hate this commercial too. The guy in the commercial is trying too hard to sound like Lance Reddick and I think that was the idea. Sears customer service does suck. When we bough our house last year we went to Sears for appliances and they told us...no joke...to make an appointment. I promptly told the guy "I guess you don't wanna, you, SELL stuff. Ok. Seeya"...as we turned to leave the guy starts telling us how they have a whole department set up to sell appliances to new home buyers and I had to return with "Why should I make an appointment? I'm here now. Its f*ckin 10 in the morning. I can take my happy ass and wad of money a half mile down the street to Lowes and Home Depot. But you want an appointment? Man, you guys are stupid."

Its not like I take my clothes out of the dryer and lament that its not a kenmore. Cry

I totally agree that their customer service royally sucks!

I work for a big university, and one of the labs  that I work with was just setting up and needed a refrigerator to store samples in - just a plain refrigerator, not one of the -80 freezers. We looked around and discovered that Sears had what we needed for relatively cheap. So then when I actually try to order it, I discover 2 very irritating things: They will not take my university credit card over the phone. They need me to come in (and in an entire other town about 30 miles away, since the Sears in my area closed about 10 years ago) and prove that I am who I say I am. OK, fine... then I talk to them about delivery, since I don't really have the means to transport a refrigerator on my own. Oops, they don't deliver to the university, either. So in order to give them our business, my options were to spend more university money on renting a truck and driving it out to Sears to get the thing, or paying out of pocket and having them deliver to some address right outside the university limits and then finding a way to transport the thing to the lab from there and waiting to be reimbursed.Angry

Needless to say, we ended not buying any appliances from Sears.

On another note, my grandmother worked for sears for more than 40 years. Not long after this escapade, I discovered that after she died, they decided to start denying my grandfather her retirement benefits even though he is clearly noted as a beneficiary and there were still benefits left to be received. He had to fight with them for several months to finally start getting that money again.Angry

I really f*cking hate this company.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
DesertX View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 6:45am
Originally posted by drakkonia drakkonia wrote:

It's an ad from the McgarryBowen agency. These are the guys who are trying to make Miracle Whip "hip." 

The Sears reality check guy reminds me of the "angry weatherman" character on Family Guy.
DesertX View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

I really f*cking hate this company.

Believe me, It's not going to get any better as long as Eddie "Sears is a hedge fund" Lampert is involved with them.

And, what's up with Sears' new logo? Are they trying to outdo Bing for worst typeface? This shows "the softest side of Sears," and it really looks bad when paired with Craftsman tools.
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 11:33am
One thing about this commercial...the Wake Up Call guy says only Sears has Kenmore and other top brands. Huh? I could swear I saw a K-Mart ad where they said they sold kenmore stuff. Maybe I was dreaming it, but how can they be "top" brands if you can only get them from one retailer?
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

LOL She's not breast feeding.  She is just carrying the baby in one of those hip new papooses that the "cool" moms wear.

I'll tell you why Sears service is probably so bad today. 
It's because in big companies like Sears, the service department is overseen by a bunch of college geeks with computers that run algorythms to see how many techs they should have in a service department.

They calculate that with X amount of potential customers we "will" have Y amount of service calls every day.  So instead of having 100 service techs in the appliance dept, we can get away with just 60.
Problem is that service requests don't come in at an exact number daily.  Some days there aren't many and other days there are huge amounts of them.

So they essentially have too few techs on the high volume call days to meet customer needs.
The techs are overwhelmed and are rushing to get the copious amounts of work ahead of them done.
They make mistakes or they feel forced to get out of the one they are working on as fast as possible to get to the next screamer.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 2:11pm

Thor... (and man, I wish I had that name here...although I'm as far from scandinavian as I can possibly get) Thanks. Yeah, it was and still is hell. We went from homeowners to apartment dwellers....and we were lucky! (We did get out alive, and the tornado practically went right over our house. People that witnessed it were amazed that we were alive)

Well, I'm half Ital and half Slovak in ancestry, so I'm not much of a "Thor" myself...but I do have a few hammers in the garage.

I can't imagine having to deal with the aftermath of a tornado, let alone the tornado itself.  Good luck!

ambrosia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 2:17pm

One thing about this commercial...the Wake Up Call guy says only Sears has Kenmore and other top brands. Huh? I could swear I saw a K-Mart ad where they said they sold kenmore stuff. Maybe I was dreaming it, but how can they be "top" brands if you can only get them from one retailer?

Kenmore has always been Sears house brand for appliances.  Then, KMart acquired Sears some years back, hence why they also sell the Kenmore line now.  At one time (not sure this holds true now), Kenmore was supposed to be a pretty decent name for appliances, kind of like how Sears sells the Craftsman line of tools exclusively.  So Kenmore would be considered a top brand, even if you could get it only at Sears, and then Sears also sells your other basic brands of appliances in addition to that.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by ambrosia ambrosia wrote:

Kenmore has always been Sears house brand for appliances.  Then, KMart acquired Sears some years back, hence why they also sell the Kenmore line now.  At one time (not sure this holds true now), Kenmore was supposed to be a pretty decent name for appliances, kind of like how Sears sells the Craftsman line of tools exclusively.  So Kenmore would be considered a top brand, even if you could get it only at Sears, and then Sears also sells your other basic brands of appliances in addition to that.

When I bought my house in 2002, I went out to Sears and got a Kenmore washer and dryer and refrigerator, and a Craftsman lawnmower...and I gotta say, I haven't had a problem with any of those things yet.

JasperGretsch View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasperGretsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 9:13am
I ordered a washer from Sears a few years ago when I bought my last house. We were home, unpacking and it was obvious that we were. Sears told us they tried to deliver but no one was home. Bull. We would have heard a knock or doorbell. I called them up and canceled, and of course as soon as I did that, they said they'd be back out the next day. I told them tough luck, I was going somewhere else. 
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:15am
At least when I worked on appliances back in the '80s, Kenmore was just rebadged Whirlpool appliances.

Not sure if that remains true today.
MrButler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Formerly Angry Lil Fat Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrButler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:27pm
So annoying
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 5:42pm
Isn't it common knowledge to get into the new house BEFORE the baby comes? Every time I watch a house related show on HGTV the woman is always about ready to explode life. Also I'm 100% certain that baby is just a doll, they didn't even bother to give her a real baby to hold. OMG I HAVE A BABY IN A PAPOOSE AND I DON'T HAVE A JOB I'M SUCH A RELATEABLE CHARACTER! Don't...relate...at...all.

I researched online before I got all my appliances. I literally walked into Lowes with my 10% coupon and told the guy working in appliances each model # I wanted and when I wanted it. I would say why do ads always show people as clueless idiots who do no research, but I already know the answer to that. Working at a toy store in the electronics department, I almost never help someone who has already done research. They rely on me to answer questions and buy crap on the spot. It's AMAZING. I would never go into a store and be like "my kid is asking for this thing that costs 300 dollars and I have no idea what it is, but I'm going to trust everything you say and just buy it". It's not that hard to go online and type whatever it is into google and just wing it people!

They aren't even giving a real reason why Sears is so much better then Lowes or Home Depot. Brands? Is that all? Kenmore is garbage. When I was looking for appliances and I browsed Sears the salesmen would NOT leave us alone! Hello we're just browsing, lay your hungry eyes elsewhere. Never had that problem anywhere else.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic