Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Radio Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Talking GPS units

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebola Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talking GPS units
    Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 4:49pm
This seems to be a trend, having the GPS unit tell the person (in the commercial) to go someplace and buy some product.  The couple that come to mind is for insurance (I want to say Geico).

The first is a GPS unit telling a woman to stand up her date and go to her local insurance agent.  The GPS unit tells the driver not so pleasant things about the date (his profile pic if from about 20 years ago and wears a polyester suit, for example).

Another is a guy is taking his daughter to a birthday party.  The GPS unit tells the guy that the guy's daughter would rather have an insurance quote than play Pin the Tail on the Donkey.  The little girl chimes back, "But I love playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey."

The commercials aren't bad but something about the idea of GPS units selling the goods or services just rubs me the wrong way. 
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Ebola Guy Ebola Guy wrote:

The commercials aren't bad but something about the idea of GPS units selling the goods or services just rubs me the wrong way. 

Doesn't seem so far-fetched to me.  Advertisers are always looking fo new ways to get their crappy ads to us. 

Many of the videos I look at on the 'net now start out with a friggin' commercial.  I'm waiting for the time when I find a TV commercial video that I want to post here...and I have to sit through some other unrelated commercial in order to watch it.  Commercials for commercials.

keyboardplayer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 6:27pm
I've had that happen before and it always cracks me up. I like to watch old ads and I always get a kick out of that when I hear a commercial and go, "That's not what I clicked."
This is your brain on commercials.
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 10:25pm
For several years, a few ad companies have been developing a system that will abuse owners of cell phones with GPS capability, to nag you as you drive or walk past certain businesses that have paid to buzz you as you pass them, such as Starbucks, gas stations, bars, food stores, et cetera. It would be a "push" "feature" of the phone, that the owner of the phone would have to drill down through the operating system menus in order to kill the "feature" if they did not want it. Dead
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 1:29am
That sounds like something from a dystopian science fiction novel.
macpic70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macpic70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 2:24am
Heh. I wrote one of those spots for a radio PSA a couple of years ago ("Click it or Ticket" campaign). Thought I was being original. Within a few months, they were all over the place. :o( 

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 4:08am
You write PSA's? I flipping love PSA's. I know that's not a popular thing to say here, but dude, I need to talk to you.
macpic70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macpic70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:27am
I work for the agency that does the majority of the drunk driving and click it or ticket spots. Not the ADCouncil stuff, but stuff for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The one with the people driving with cars filled with alcohol? That was us. I suggested the olives for the martini car so it wouldn't just look like water. (My big claim to fame) :D

Here's the seatbelt radio spot I did. 

And this one (not a talking GPS)

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:15pm
My best friend who is a big ol' PSA freak like me is gonna freak when she finds out I'm on a forum with the guy who wrote those. Can you PM me or put all the radio PSA's you've done in the PSA thread? I really need help finding old Ad Council and PDFA radio ads from the 90s and early 2000s. Thanks.
macpic70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macpic70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:16pm
Don't have any connection with the AdCouncil, etc. Just the NHTSA client. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 3:49am
Aw darn. There is a drunk driving ad that I'm curious about and not sure who did it, but I'll post it in the PSA thread.
macpic70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macpic70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 4:14am
WHich one? Recently, a lot of the Ad Council PSAs are done by the Mullen Group out of Boston. 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 6:59pm
I don't think it was the Ad Council. I'll describe it in the PSA thread in Commercial Talk so I don't hijack this thread. BTW, whoever is doing the newest Ad Council ads needs to get gonged. I want to be the Simon Cal of PSA's and tell them, *British accent* "That was the worst PSA in the world. If you had lived 2000 years ago, you would have been stoned."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic